Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The Islanders suck and Carolina doesn't.

Lol I was just about to say Carolina good, Islanders bad.

1714484052541.png

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, but technically true.

The Hurricanes, on paper, are a better team than we are. Like, sorry I guess. That being said, we've seen them fail in the playoffs and we've seen them fail to score against us. The team that gets a hotter powerplay probably wins and it's a coin toss.

Once you're in the second round in today's NHL, you're in the mode where literally anybody can beat anybody.

The Islanders...I don't know what to make of the Islanders. Everything about that matchup says Rangers in 5 but if they crawled into that series, they would have just beaten Carolina 4 in a row so :dunno:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

The Hurricanes, on paper, are a better team than we are. Like, sorry I guess. That being said, we've seen them fail in the playoffs and we've seen them fail to score against us. The team that gets a hotter powerplay probably wins and it's a coin toss.

Once you're in the second round in today's NHL, you're in the mode where literally anybody can beat anybody.

The Islanders...I don't know what to make of the Islanders. Everything about that matchup says Rangers in 5 but if they crawled into that series, they would have just beaten Carolina 4 in a row so :dunno:
I know. Just busting chops.

I don't disagree that the hurricanes on paper are better than us. But, would I be wrong if I said that same has been true each year we have played the Hurricanes and beat them?

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
The Islanders provide a series where Rempe may have a needed role and we keep everything the same. If it's the Canes, I prefer the idea of a healthy Chytil on line 3, with Wennberg anchoring Vesey and Goodrow on line 4.

Honestly I actually prefer Vesey sitting to keep the Rempe train going, but that will never happen.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know. Just busting chops.

I don't disagree that the hurricanes on paper are better than us. But, would I be wrong if I said that same has been true each year we have played the Hurricanes and beat them?
In 2022 we beat a stronger version of their team with a weaker version of our team.
Are they though?
Yes.

They have a better lineup and better underlying numbers.

The only reason I'm not super depressed about this series is that Carolina has a tendency to fall apart and the matchup has historically gone our way.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Well, aside from us finishing ahead of them (and everyone else) in the standings, having taken the season series from them, having more high end talent, better goaltender, an actual elite defender, and being a way harder team to play against physically, sure, better team than us on paper. Hahahaha.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

How are they a better team than us on paper or reality?

Reactions: HolyHagelin

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
In 2022 we beat a stronger version of their team with a weaker version of our team.

Yes.

They have a better lineup and better underlying numbers.

The only reason I'm not super depressed about this series is that Carolina has a tendency to fall apart and the matchup has historically gone our way.
I think those underlying numbers are very system based but also lead to underperforming in the playoffs.
They’re designed to cause havoc and score from pressure, which is fairly unique in the regular season, but that havoc in the playoffs, when prepared for it more isn’t as scary.
The system also masks a lot of flaws in the defense and goaltending that could be exposed.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

How ON PAPER are they a better team? We have the best goalie, best defenseman (Fox) and best player overall (Panarin) in the series. We were the better team at the end of the season. We have the better centers by far. We have the better right side defense by far. Our special teams are close but our PK right now is better. Carolina struggling to stop the islanders somehow.

So when you say on paper are you just going to point to 5 on 5 ruexpected goals again? We actually scored MORE even strength goals at the end of the day than they did. So not being facetious how on paper are they better?

I don’t get it really. We have home ice. We beat them last time. They still play man they still throw garbage at the net shesty loves that. Just I really want to understand this

And I know it’s not just you saying this oddsmakers have us as underdogs which makes zero sense to me

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, aside from us finishing ahead of them (and everyone else) in the standings, having taken the season series from them, having more high end talent, better goaltender, an actual elite defender, and being a way harder team to play against physically, sure, better team than us on paper. Hahahaha.
How are they a better team than us on paper or reality?
They have much better depth and no bad players in their lineup. Lines 3 & 4 and pairs 2 & 3 are going to be a mismatch. We should play Chytil.

Also, Panarin needs to prove he can play like he did in the regular season for us to have more high-end talent.

Jake Guentzel is the best forward in the series if players play up to their playoff resume and he kills us.
I think those underlying numbers are very system based but also lead to underperforming in the playoffs.
They’re designed to cause havoc and score from pressure, which is fairly unique in the regular season, but that havoc in the playoffs, when prepared for it more isn’t as scary.
The system also masks a lot of flaws in the defense and goaltending that could be exposed.
I mean, yeah sure, but it's better to have the puck than not have it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How ON PAPER are they a better team? We have the best goalie, best defenseman (Fox) and best player overall (Panarin) in the series. We were the better team at the end of the season. We have the better centers by far. We have the better right side defense by far. Our special teams are close but our PK right now is better. Carolina struggling to stop the islanders somehow.

So when you say on paper are you just going to point to 5 on 5 ruexpected goals again? We actually scored MORE even strength goals at the end of the day than they did. So not being facetious how on paper are they better?

I don’t get it really. We have home ice. We beat them last time. They still play man they still throw garbage at the net shesty loves that. Just I really want to understand this

They arent a better team on paper by any stretch. They dont have the best player at any position in this series and definitely don't have the depth we do. They get overrated like the Devils.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Are they though?
I have a piece of paper that shows us with more wins and points.

Fans here underestimate the Canes roster to their peril. That team is not a joke, and if we have an advantage it's a very slight one.
What peril? I’m not putting the house on it.
I’m a Rangers fan, I know losing. This year I feel the wins. My optimism doesn’t affect the games.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
They have much better depth and no bad players in their lineup. Lines 3 & 4 and pairs 2 & 3 are going to be a mismatch. We should play Chytil.

Also, Panarin needs to prove he can play like he did in the regular season for us to have more high-end talent.

Jake Guentzel is the best forward in the series if players play up to their playoff resume and he kills us.

I mean, yeah sure, but it's better to have the puck than not have it.
Sorry, I have to disagree on every one of those points.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

They have more talent than we do. Look at the lineups. If I have to explain it, then we're just not going to agree.

The book on the Canes has always been "yeah muhanalyticz but they can't actually score." They can score. They're a lot more skilled than previous iterations of the team and they have a working powerplay now.

We can certainly win this series. I also don't think it's unfair that Vegas has us as a slight underdog. I don't really care about 3 regular season points.

Reactions: zlev

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
In the end it falls on Igor and special teams.

If he can continue to play to the level he exhibited against the Caps and the special teams continue to dominate, this team can beat anyone.

Scoring 3 goals seems to be the magic number in a lot of these games and if you give Igor that goal support more times than not it will be a win or at the very least give you a shot in OT

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
How ON PAPER are they a better team? We have the best goalie, best defenseman (Fox) and best player overall (Panarin) in the series. We were the better team at the end of the season.
because the Rangers are basically trolling with at least 3-4 players in their lineup at any given time

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad