Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign G Alexander Georgiev

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Aleksandar won U20 silver with Russia in Helsinki where he took the starter role over Ilya Samsonov. He's been coached in TPS by the former NHL-goalie Fredrik Norrena.

Bragin is always messing with his goalie situation. I'm gonna root for Georgiyev now, but no way he should've been any competition for Samsonov, and to basically rotate them every game? Crazy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Take it easy with the Halverson sucks hyperbole after one pro season. They all can't be Ryan Graves.

No, he does suck. What's even good about his game? He's big and handles the puck well, bonuses for a goalie, but those two things don't matter at all if you don't stop pucks. His best OHL SV% was .913 in three seasons, didn't break .900 at either level he played at last season. If he wasn't a Rangers prospect, people would regard him as near non-prospect level. He could turn it around, plenty of goalies figure things out late, maybe he turns into an NHL back up eventually, but right now he absolutely does suck. There's 0 evidence to the contrary.

And I like how you've firmly cast yourself against one of our top prospects because you got your feelings hurt that someone disagreed with where to rank prospects compared to each other. Very childish.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I have never seen him play and know nothing about him so this is just a horrible ludicrous signing. I am going to do all I can to hate on this kid.

I wonder how much input Allaire gets on these signings. I wouldn't doubt he saw something in the kid and said bring him over, asap.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If I were to guess he's likely going to be Hartford's main goaltender this year and it will be up to Halverson and/or Nell to push him for games. Georgiyev is more developed and experienced than either of them. It looks to me like an excellent signing. I wasn't all that crazy about Halverson's rookie pro season and this year will be Nell's. Either or both of them could turn out fines too. Neither of them when they got to play for Hartford last year had a good team in front of them. The Wolfpack were a train wreck pretty much the entire season. Looking at what they have coming in this year I'm a bit more optimistic. Yeah, losing Jensen, Beck and Hrivik hurts and the team is going to be young but there are a lot more good prospects than there were last year. Mind you--because of their relative inexperience I don't see them as a playoff team but they should be better.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If I were to guess he's likely going to be Hartford's main goaltender this year and it will be up to Halverson and/or Nell to push him for games. Georgiyev is more developed and experienced than either of them. It looks to me like an excellent signing. I wasn't all that crazy about Halverson's rookie pro season and this year will be Nell's. Either or both of them could turn out fines too. Neither of them when they got to play for Hartford last year had a good team in front of them. The Wolfpack were a train wreck pretty much the entire season. Looking at what they have coming in this year I'm a bit more optimistic. Yeah, losing Jensen, Beck and Hrivik hurts and the team is going to be young but there are a lot more good prospects than there were last year. Mind you--because of their relative inexperience I don't see them as a playoff team but they should be better.

I think Gorton had the goal of shoring up the Wolfpack. At least I hope he did. It's not beneficial at all for prospects to have to experience one of the single most dysfunctional farm team's in the NHL. It's simply ridiculous the Rangers, from every account, a first class run organization on the NHL level, have a farm team that quite frankly is a train wreck. It's been going on for far too long and needs to be corrected.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
No, he does suck. What's even good about his game? He's big and handles the puck well, bonuses for a goalie, but those two things don't matter at all if you don't stop pucks. His best OHL SV% was .913 in three seasons, didn't break .900 at either level he played at last season. If he wasn't a Rangers prospect, people would regard him as near non-prospect level. He could turn it around, plenty of goalies figure things out late, maybe he turns into an NHL back up eventually, but right now he absolutely does suck. There's 0 evidence to the contrary

this is where we differ the most -
i really dont get how age 21, after 1 pro season, is adquate sample size to condemn a talented prospect who'd been vetted by the scouting staff and front office

yes there are high level exceptions, who notably improve year-after-year, but for most prospects their development is not a straight line,

its true to that Halverson's best season of the last 3 was '14-15, but he is still very young

there's a reason ELC's are 3 years

i believe it is way too early to pass confident judgement of Halverson

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
i really dont get how age 21, after 1 pro season, is adquate sample size to condemn a talented prospect who'd been vetted by the scouting staff and front office

yes there are high level exceptions, who notably improve year-after-year, but for most prospects their development is not a straight line,

its true to that Halverson's best season of the last 3 was '14-15, but he is still very young

But I am not passing judgement on what Halverson might be in 10 years. I am saying right now and early on in his career as a relevant prospect, he has been bad. When you have four seasons on your resume at low levels of hockey, and your best SV% is .913, you aren't very good.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Gorton had the goal of shoring up the Wolfpack. At least I hope he did. It's not beneficial at all for prospects to have to experience one of the single most dysfunctional farm team's in the NHL. It's simply ridiculous the Rangers, from every account, a first class run organization on the NHL level, have a farm team that quite frankly is a train wreck. It's been going on for far too long and needs to be corrected.

I think it's more that all the good prospects the Rangers had graduated from the pack and their weak prospect system meant that Hartford hasn't had much talent lately. Goaltending has especially been a bit of a disaster since Talbot left.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think it's more that all the good prospects the Rangers had graduated from the pack and their weak prospect system meant that Hartford hasn't had much talent lately. Goaltending has especially been a bit of a disaster since Talbot left.

Tough to say. Even Hellberg struggled badly last year. I think last season for Hartford was just one of those throwaway seasons where literally nothing went right.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am still curious what Shestyorkin will do. Will he use that spelling, or the spelling that is already used by some media (Shesterkin)?

Rangers always list him as Shesterkin so I assume that, but who knows.

I remember poor Varlamov. He went from Semen to Semeon to Semyon.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

I can't argue the point you make as it's 100% true. However, they have done a poor job of adding accomplished vets mixed with rookies and other prospects.

I will say that last year was particularly bad but it's been going on for quite a long time now, the farm team has been subpar for years. I think that's more my issue than 1 particularly putrid year because that may happen, it shouldn't on a continual basis.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Agreed with this statement, that goes for all prospects on ELC's.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
But I am not passing judgement on what Halverson might be in 10 years. I am saying right now and early on in his career as a relevant prospect, he has been bad. When you have four seasons on your resume at low levels of hockey, and your best SV% is .913, you aren't very good.

I can see what you mean, but it's still a bit early to write him off. The stats don't look good, that's for sure, but the style of play, as well as, the technicality of the style is why NYR/Allaire are working with him to put it together. Most don't, some do. This season will put it into perspective.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can't argue the point you make as it's 100% true. However, they have done a poor job of adding accomplished vets mixed with rookies and other prospects.

I will say that last year was particularly bad but it's been going on for quite a long time now, the farm team has been subpar for years. I think that's more my issue than 1 particularly putrid year because that may happen, it shouldn't on a continual basis.

They've added some decent veteran players in recent years, they've just either failed to mesh with the younger guys or outright sucked, dogging it each night. That was one of my main issues with Company Man Ken--the teams weren't championship-caliber but they were more talented than the end results indicated. He never got the most out of those guys.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Georgiev gave interview to one of Russian media sites:

A couple of main points to note:

He's been on the Rangers radar and in communication for awhile. He came to the prospect camp to show himself and directly meet members of the Rangers organization.

He was told that he will be in competition for #1 goalie in Hartford (he sounded more like it was his position to lose)

Notably, even though he had an interest from the KHL, he signed a contract with a Finnish club because of the out clause to be able to move to NA.

He looks at Vasilevskiy's progression from AHL to NHL starter as a development model to follow.

Last season he had a good regular season but a couple of weak games toward the end of regular season that resulted in another (more experience) goalie taking the starting spot in the play-offs. (kind of similar to what happen to Shesterkin)

https://matchtv.ru/hockey/matchtvne...lko_za_Aleksandr_Georgijev__o_perehode_v_NKhL

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would guess in scouting Virta and Reunanen that the staff had pretty extended viewings of him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Hopefully he provides some good goaltending in Hartford and a viable callup option to the NHL since Pavelec still scares me

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hopefully he provides some good goaltending in Hartford and a viable callup option to the NHL since Pavelec still scares me

Putting it like this (Georgiev is next in line if Pavelec fails) scares me even more. :help:

However, I think FO would be looking to trade for another back to let Georgiev continue to develop.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think Hartford is re-signing Malcolm and we're going with Georgiev + Nell/Halverson for Hartford and Halverson/Nell + Malcolm for Greenville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad