Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign G Alexander Georgiev

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Eh, goalies are kinda voodoo, so most of these guys won't pan out. It's better to have more good looking options than not, so we'll see what happens. I think Huska ends up the best out of them all (besides Shesty).

Agreed, I'm just mentioning that based off potential.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As mentioned in the other version of the thread, it's spelled Alexandar (note the second A) Georgiyev. Or, alternatively, Aleksandar Georgijev.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lots of goalies. Where's he play? That leaves Nell, Halverson and this guy? Am I missing someone? Skapski and Hellberg are gone

Nell, Halverson and Georgiev will compete for the 2 spots in Hatford, whoever loses will go to Greenville (our ECHL affiliate).

Can/will any of these goalie prospects be a backup to Hank (next year after Pavelec) until Shesty gets here? Huska or Wall, etc?

I would assume that is the overall gameplan, to try and see if any of these prospects can take the next step and be ready for the NHL next season to backup Hank. If not, there will surely be another decent stop gap UFA available.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Must see something they like in this kid. He might get some time this year if Pavelec struggles. I just don't think they're high on Halverson. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he was a high pick but I can totally see him starting the year in the ECHL and Georgiev/Nell being the Hartford tandem.

Huska and Wall (2015 and 2016 draft picks respectively) aren't in the picture for at least another 2-3 years. They're basically being left to marinate in the NCAA and see lots of pucks and hope that the reps and playing time helps them develop like Talbot did.

In a perfect HFWorld Shesty/Huska are the 2020-21 tandem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Halverson sucks. Nell didn't have the greatest start in Hartford last season, we'll see.

I think its a lot more likely that Georgiyev will be the 3rd goalie this season than anyone.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Halverson sucks. Nell didn't have the greatest start in Hartford last season, we'll see.

I think its a lot more likely that Georgiyev will be the 3rd goalie this season than anyone.

To be fair to Nell, let's give him a full year. He got thrown to the wolves (no pun intended) on an awful awful Pack squad that had completely phoned it in and got to play in only four games after completing college.

I'm not a fan of the Halverson pick, but this is a make a break year for him. He needs to show some improvement or he's going to be let go after 2019.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To be fair to Nell, let's give him a full year. He got thrown to the wolves (no pun intended) on an awful awful Pack squad that had completely phoned it in and got to play in only four games after completing college.

I'm not a fan of the Halverson pick, but this is a make a break year for him. He needs to show some improvement or he's going to be let go after 2019.

I agree. I'd give Nell the year as the back up in Hartford.

Halverson wasn't even good in the ECHL this season, send him back there this season. Georgiyev and Nell can be the Hartford goalies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Also, for what it's worth, they've misspelled his name. It's apparently listed officially as Alexandar Georgiyev or Aleksandar Georgijev. TPS (his current, or I guess, former team) lists it as the latter, Eliteprospects lists it as the former.

When you translate from Cyrillic to Latin, there are different ways to write names.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His English is really good for someone from Russia.

He has Belorussian parents, which would explain why. Belarus and the Baltic states have always had an education system that focused more on the English-speaking world than the traditional Russian area and the eastern Soviet states.

He has also been playing in Finland for 3 years now, which helps a lot. Scandinavians and Finns have a very international mindset

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland
When you translate from Cyrillic to Latin, there are different ways to write names.

That's right, the translitteration in Finland is different from english. Also, it gets even more complicated here, cause Aleksandar is half russian, half bulgarian. The latter explains spelling of his first name. That's how he prefers it.

Aleksandar won U20 silver with Russia in Helsinki where he took the starter role over Ilya Samsonov. He's been coached in TPS by the former NHL-goalie Fredrik Norrena.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He has Belorussian parents, which would explain why. Belarus and the Baltic states have always had an education system that focused more on the English-speaking world than the traditional Russian area and the eastern Soviet states.

He has also been playing in Finland for 3 years now, which helps a lot. Scandinavians and Finns have a very international mindset

I kind of think you are confusing Belarus with someone else here.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
****, Bulgarian. Sorry. It's still early. But the point remains. He is not a typical Russian

He isn't, but I'd say more because of his hockey career than because of his parents. Although his father is Bulgarian and Georgiev himself was born in Bulgaria, he has been living in Moscow since he was one year old, so unlikely that his heritage alone influenced his English skills that much. Another thing is that judging by his interviews he seems to be a pretty smart kid, I'd say that might give him an advantage when studying languages.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He isn't, but I'd say more because of his hockey career than because of his parents. Although his father is Bulgarian and Georgiev himself was born in Bulgaria, he has been living in Moscow since he was one year old, so unlikely that his heritage alone influenced his English skills that much. Another thing is that judging by his interviews he seems to be a pretty smart kid, I'd say that might give him an advantage when studying languages.

Well, the situation at home certainly helps. My son was born in South Africa but speaks Dutch, because of the situation at home. He has a more global view on things, even at a young age, and doesn't speak with a typical Afrikaner accent.

Not saying Georgiev speaks English well just because his parents are Bulgarian, but his upbringing is a possible factor.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Nell and Georgiev are your Malcolm and Skapski replacements. They needed some depth goalie turnover while Huska and Wall develop, so Gorton's done a really good job. Excited to see what this kid can do

sort of.Malcolm. never had a NYR contract.

btw Halvy is 18 months younger than Nell, 26 months younger than Georgiev*
the older guys get credit for. their. development at 21 and 22

to project Nell as NHL material while tossing off BH seems just the usual shiny new toy effect we see often arround here.

let's give Halvy the same 21. and 22 age. seasons. to get his game more ready
rather than pull the plug after 1 pro season at 20 when the Pack were a mess

** my bad, Gerogiev is just ~6 weeks older than Halverson, reading those pages on my phone got us mixed up

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
sort of.Malcolm. never had a NYR contract.

btw Halvy is 18 months younger than Nell, 26 months younger than Georgiev
the older guys get credit for. their. development at 21 and 22

to project Nell as NHL material while tossing off BH seems just the usual shiny new toy effect we see often arround here.

let's give Halvy the same 21. and 22 age. seasons. to get his game more ready
rather than pull the plug after 1 pro season at 20 when the Pack were a mess

FWIW, I meant that as in Nell would be in the ECHL (Malcolm replacement) this year and Georgiev would be in the AHL (Skapski replacement).

I like Halverson, and think he should settle in nicely (I hope) into an AHL role this year. We need him to be if he's going to take over for Hellberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad