Waived: Alexei Bereglazov

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He'll be the 7th dman. DeAngelo is just flat out a better a more talentes dman and has shown promise on the NHL level. He'll be the 3rd pairing Dman with Staal. Bear gloves will get 25 games give or take.

need to move holden for that plan to work

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bereglazov has been banned from participating in the OGs together with 4 other Russian players. No explanation given at this point. They have however not been convicted of doping.

Former Star Nichushkin barred from Olympics - Article - TSN

Hopefully it's not doping, though given the recently history of Russian athletes that seems where this is likely heading. If he is found to have doped, and it's something the NHL has on its banned substances list, I would imagine he'd face a suspension here as well (which could preclude him from rejoining the team after his KHL season ends, depending on the timing of the various processes).

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What a bust Nichushkin turned out to be. Does he share a line with other noted bust Mikhail Grigorenko?

Hardly can be considered a bust at this point.

Disappointing maybe, but a guy who puts up 64 points in the NHL before his 21st birthday is not a bust. He will be back in the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hardly can be considered a bust at this point.

Disappointing maybe, but a guy who puts up 64 points in the NHL before his 21st birthday is not a bust. He will be back in the NHL.

Nah, he's a bust. His point totals being down a fair bit from last year is yet another nail in his coffin. He could perhaps be a 3rd liner in the NHL. Hardly what was expected from his draft position.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Hopefully it's not doping, though given the recently history of Russian athletes that seems where this is likely heading. If he is found to have doped, and it's something the NHL has on its banned substances list, I would imagine he'd face a suspension here as well (which could preclude him from rejoining the team after his KHL season ends, depending on the timing of the various processes).

Russians:laugh: of course it’s doping

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

If it is something on the NHL banned substance list then IIHF would already be giving him a ban, since their anti-doping rules are more strict (as we could see from Zaripov's example).

Here the situation is a bit more strange: 5 guys are 'not invited': Belov, Plotnikov, Nichushkin, Naumenkov and Bereglazov. Belov isn't because he had a banned substance history (and the IOC made it clear that you need to have your history nice and shiny), so that's not a surprise. Plotnikov didn't have a ban, but apparently at some point was given a warning (probably the substance was not a big deal), so there is some sense too. Naumenkov and Nichushkin didn't have any ban/warning history and that was stated officially; IOC, of course, didn't provide any explanation. For Bereglazov no comments were made so far, as he wasn't a realistic candidate for the Olympics anyway.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
What's very surprising to me is that Andrei Markov, Montreal's second best Dman last year, wasn't even "invited".
Very odd!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Bereglazov himself commented on this:

btw, from the official statement of Hockey Russia: 'The IOC has specifically noted that these players aren't guilty in violating of any anti-doping rules. They granted the invitations after an evaluation based on a set of various factors."

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If it is something on the NHL banned substance list then IIHF would already be giving him a ban, since their anti-doping rules are more strict (as we could see from Zaripov's example).

Yeah that makes sense. I just didn't know between the NHL, IIHF, and IOC who had the more strict standards.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any idea how his KHL team is doing and when he might be available to return to North America?

They are struggling this season, 6th in the Eastern Conference playoff race. They are usually the third biggest team in the league though, and could make it to the Finals, even though they've had a bad regular season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Here the situation is a bit more strange: 5 guys are 'not invited': Belov, Plotnikov, Nichushkin, Naumenkov and Bereglazov. Belov isn't because he had a banned substance history (and the IOC made it clear that you need to have your history nice and shiny), so that's not a surprise. Plotnikov didn't have a ban, but apparently at some point was given a warning (probably the substance was not a big deal), so there is some sense too. Naumenkov and Nichushkin didn't have any ban/warning history and that was stated officially; IOC, of course, didn't provide any explanation. For Bereglazov no comments were made so far, as he wasn't a realistic candidate for the Olympics anyway.

There could be a guilty by association aspect to this too, i.e. if Bereglazov have played for a team doping its players or something like that.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
You guys are looking for complicated answers. The IOC needed another Russian player to ban, the guy in charge of finding players picked a guy whose name started with a "B" because an "A" would be too obvious, so Bereglazov it is.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are enough players from Magnitogorsk in the invited list, he didn't play for another team in the KHL.

Yeah I know, thought about it too. But I still think it’s it or that he have had a doping control with suspect blod values.

Could they have had the same team doctor playing for a junior national team or something like that?

It’s not random...

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah I know, thought about it too. But I still think it’s it or that he have had a doping control with suspect blod values.

Could they have had the same team doctor playing for a junior national team or something like that?

It’s not random...

If it is a case with junior teams, then other guys from his age group would be suspended, so it doesn't make sense too.

Possibly he had some warning at some point without any ban, but it doesn't exactly connect with Bereglazov's reaction that was posted earlier, as he was ready to sue the IOC (which won't result in anything anyway, as they already stated that being not invited doesn't mean that they are accusing anyone of doping).

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
any word on what Bereglasov is up to? I guess he’s pretty much an afterthought at this point? Is he still in the rangers system next year?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
any word on what Bereglasov is up to? I guess he’s pretty much an afterthought at this point? Is he still in the rangers system next year?
He's still under contract for next year. He also said when going back to the KHL that the Rangers wanted him to come back to the US when his KHL season was over. Circumstances have changed somewhat but I assume that's still the case.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thank you. Interesting. Has he done anything to help himself this season? Seems not. But I don’t know.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Don't remember him saying that the Rangers told him to come over when KHL season was over, but I do know that he said they told him to come over for training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->