Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Did we lose the ability to make a poll? What is everyone going to do and why? I'm leaning towards the average price, but want to know what everyone else thinks.

I'm not sure it even matters that much for me. I still get the hard copies in the mail...but never use them when I sell tickets. I'm pretty sure you can hide the ticket price when you print PDF tickets so if you are posting for sale on Stubhub buyers won't know what you paid.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
So we have the option now to have average price on ticket or have the level pricing on the tickets. What is everyone thinking is a better option?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Did we lose the ability to make a poll? What is everyone going to do and why? I'm leaning towards the average price, but want to know what everyone else thinks.
I am definitely doing the average price. For me, it wasn't a big deal as my regular buyers are more concerned with day of the week than anything else. One guy works 7am-4pm, monday through thursday, so thursday, friday, saturday are his best nights to go. Another guy works overnights Wednesday-saturday, so he prefers Sunday, Monday, Tuesday nights, another guy wants one weekend game to bring his wife and kids, and the rest during the week.

Where it was annoying was for a few friends who only want 1 or 2 games, or when I there is the 1 or 2 games that I can't go to, but I didn't dish out to anyone. If it is a cheap game, it is easy to unload. More expensive? Not so much. Guy to my right got screwed on 2 games in March. Had them up on the exchange, and then when they fell apart, couldn't sell them. For the Caps game in March, he wound up going alone as I couldn't go and he couldn't find anyone. The Pens game in March he brought a friend who he couldn't ask for money. He knows she makes very little $ and can't afford it.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm not sure it even matters that much for me. I still get the hard copies in the mail...but never use them when I sell tickets. I'm pretty sure you can hide the ticket price when you print PDF tickets so if you are posting for sale on Stubhub buyers won't know what you paid.
Not really concerned what buyers on stub hub see. But when I am offering tickets to a friend and saying the price is $125 or $133 each, it is tough.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Not really concerned what buyers on stub hub see. But when I am offering tickets to a friend and saying the price is $125 or $133 each, it is tough.

For that purpose you should go with the dynamic pricing. That way at least you are either getting closer to market or your friend will have a more realistic understanding of the value of the tickets for that particular game.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
What...there was actually someone who liked the the stupid different prices on the tickets?

A lot of people. Many of us have friends or colleagues who ask us about tickets. Usually they aren't asking to go see a game against St. Louis on a Monday night in October. Rather they are looking to cherry pick the premier matchups. So yeah, having the dynamic pricing printed on the tickets is helpful.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
A lot of people. Many of us have friends or colleagues who ask us about tickets. Usually they aren't asking to go see a game against St. Louis on a Monday night in October. Rather they are looking to cherry pick the premier matchups. So yeah, having the dynamic pricing printed on the tickets is helpful.
I just tell them no for the premiere match ups and let them pick the garbage games that I have trouble selling at profit on stubhub.

"oh sorry, i sold all the weekend and afternoon games awhile ago"

Most of them aren't die heart fans anyway and just want to go to a game.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I just tell them no for the premiere match ups and let them pick the garbage games that I have trouble selling at profit on stubhub.

"oh sorry, i sold all the weekend and afternoon games awhile ago"

Most of them aren't die heart fans anyway and just want to go to a game.

In which case the average price is better for you! lol

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
For that purpose you should go with the dynamic pricing. That way at least you are either getting closer to market or your friend will have a more realistic understanding of the value of the tickets for that particular game.
I disagree. My experience has been people are not going to spend $125 for the "popular" game as opposed to $70 for the less popular. I am not trying to be a ticket-broker. I do not want to have to put in too much effort to move the games I am not going to use. I would rather just tell a friend, "I have 3 games from which to choose. $89 each" as opposed to, "I have this game for $70 each, this game for $103 each, and this game for $125 each." I found the difference turned people off, if anything.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
Unless I'm doing it wrong, you can only hid the price if you transfer. If you print a PDF, you can't hide the price.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I disagree. My experience has been people are not going to spend $125 for the "popular" game as opposed to $70 for the less popular. I am not trying to be a ticket-broker. I do not want to have to put in too much effort to move the games I am not going to use. I would rather just tell a friend, "I have 3 games from which to choose. $89 each" as opposed to, "I have this game for $70 each, this game for $103 each, and this game for $125 each." I found the difference turned people off, if anything.

Whatever works for you. The good news is you get to choose.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Missed this before. Those people, and I deal with many, I simply say no.

coatjones

Debauchery #1
Jul 25, 2011
Staten Island, NYC
The only issue I see here is: If half the people use average price and the other half use dynamic, people who buy tickets on the secondary market often enough can find out the face value and use that against someone selling as average. Guessing this would happen with the "cheaper" games.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
The only issue I see here is: If half the people use average price and the other half use dynamic, people who buy tickets on the secondary market often enough can find out the face value and use that against someone selling as average. Guessing this would happen with the "cheaper" games.
If I'm selling a seat, I simply check the secondary sites and make mine the cheapest.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If you are referring to selling here, maybe. But the "face value" is what is printed on the ticket. But, if I post a game on here for $89 and someone pm's me telling me the tiered price for that game in my seat is only $70, I am going to tell them I dont care. Price printed on the ticket is 89.

eKardz

Mar 22, 2009
Holtsville, NY
since the garden is keeping tiered prices, it doesn't make sense to have flat pricing on just your tickets. you'll get below market on the crappy games and you'll get lowballed on the premiere match ups too.

they will still be on stub hub for the tiered amount.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I only sell at most, 4-5 games on the secondary market. Most of what I sell is to friends or co-workers.

For those who do, the amount they may lose on lower games, will be less than the profits on big games. I also think it depends on your price point. If you are in the lower bowl, you are screwed either way.

OKnumber25

Mar 26, 2012
Bottom line is that the most important price of a ticket is that which is set by the market place as seen on the secondary market. As superyan does, I check the exchange and list my tickets among the cheapest of their kind, and I never have a problem. It doesn't hurt that I have row 1 in the 400s.

I do sell a number to some regular buyers, sometimes I attend games with them, sometimes not. I always sell to them at face, and we all agreed it was better and fairer to use the variable price which I fully disclosed to them in advance. They get 2 benefits from this. First, they get a break if they choose a less desirable game. Second, if they want a high demand game, there is a greater chance I will make it available to them rather than list it on the exchange for a bigger profit for myself. I will continue to have the variable price printed on the ticket. I agree a choice is the best thing.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Bottom line is that the most important price of a ticket is that which is set by the market place as seen on the secondary market. As superyan does, I check the exchange and list my tickets among the cheapest of their kind, and I never have a problem. It doesn't hurt that I have row 1 in the 400s.

I do sell a number to some regular buyers, sometimes I attend games with them, sometimes not. I always sell to them at face, and we all agreed it was better and fairer to use the variable price which I fully disclosed to them in advance. They get 2 benefits from this. First, they get a break if they choose a less desirable game. Second, if they want a high demand game, there is a greater chance I will make it available to them rather than list it on the exchange for a bigger profit for myself. I will continue to have the variable price printed on the ticket. I agree a choice is the best thing.

Ultimately, it depends on what games you sell and how many I think to determine which method you prefer. I've said here before but in the past 5 or so years, I usually make the lesser games available to people I know for average price which was face in past years. They were pretty much weeknight games against non divisional teams. Some early in the year, some later in the year. It worked out because they were still cheaper than what were on the secondary market. I'd always sell the higher demand games on StubHub to make some money and offset preseason and possible dead game losses. With the variable pricing, it doesn't work for me because for my viewpoint is it's just taking money out of my own pocket as I'm now selling that dead $89 game for $70 to someone while still taking the same $125 home I would for a premium game on StubHub. I don't have many people lining up to pay $125 for those higher tier games either at my price point even if they are high demand.

Regardless, with the escalating prices over the years I'm just finding it easier and easier to sell the majority of what I have to online even if it's just for face. It's less of a hassle as the amount of people willing to shell out that much money for a regular season hockey game dwindles especially with the team going the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad