Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
They really have been putting the word out. This week I've gotten voicemails, emails, and postcards reminding me of the deadline. I still need to call in to cancel a pair. Will do so tomorrow.
I renewed over a week ago for next season. Since then I got 2 postcards reminding me about the renewal. I understand these might be sent out ahead of time but this morning I got a phone call from my new rep. (not a recording) reminding me of the deadline. I laughed and told her that I had already renewed and she checked my account and saw that I did renew. In the past I have never gotten any reminders that I can remember about renewing so I guess this probably means that many STH's are waiting to the last minute to commit.

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
I renewed over a week ago for next season. Since then I got 2 postcards reminding me about the renewal. I understand these might be sent out ahead of time but this morning I got a phone call from my new rep. (not a recording) reminding me of the deadline. I laughed and told her that I had already renewed and she checked my account and saw that I did renew. In the past I have never gotten any reminders that I can remember about renewing so I guess this probably means that many STH's are waiting to the last minute to commit.

I just renewed this morning by email. Prior to that I didn't get any reminders. Maybe they didn't care if I renewed because they wanted my row 2 Gallery seats to split up into mini-plans. On another note if anybody didn't renew but is interested in buying any row 2 gallery seats for next season I have 4 seats.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I just renewed this morning by email. Prior to that I didn't get any reminders. Maybe they didn't care if I renewed because they wanted my row 2 Gallery seats to split up into mini-plans. On another note if anybody didn't renew but is interested in buying any row 2 gallery seats for next season I have 4 seats.

So you caved the end. lol I'm 100% dumping my pair of Row 2 Gallery seats but there is part of me that finds it hard to let them go. I guess it's because I've had good memories of playoff runs in those seats. But they just aren't worth it any longer.

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
So you caved the end. lol I'm 100% dumping my pair of Row 2 Gallery seats but there is part of me that finds it hard to let them go. I guess it's because I've had good memories of playoff runs in those seats. But they just aren't worth it any longer.

I didn't lose any money with my seats so I'm good for at least another year. I'm also thinking that once I give them up, I'm not getting full seasons in any desirable location. As long as I don't lose money I'll keep em.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I didn't lose any money with my seats so I'm good for at least another year. I'm also thinking that once I give them up, I'm not getting full seasons in any desirable location. As long as I don't lose money I'll keep em.

Sounds reasonable. If I could sell my pair for face I'd keep them...but as nice as the seats are, people generally don't like sitting at the end. I held onto them the last couple years hoping I'd be able to move over a few sections, but obviously we all know how that worked out for everyone. lol

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010

Yes, once you give them up you can forget about ever replacing them in a similar or better location.

How much less, if at all, do you expect to get next season?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Just renewed. BUT, the wife and I were having second thoughts the last few days.

I'm guessing you have until Friday to un-renew. lol

What are you on the fence about? If you can sell the games you don't need and break even (give or take) it's probably worth keeping them. For me some of my tickets fall into that category and others don't, so it's easy for me to decide what to do.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think this is what happens every year..everyone says no way am I renewing and then in the end they end up renewing. After Friday we should have a poll of how many people actually gave them up and how many renewed

That's definitely been true in the past. But I think this year will be a bit different. I was leaning towards saying no last year after the huge price hike...but ultimately re-upped knowing it could be a poor decision. Turns out it was, and now with the team in full rebuild there is no excuse for me to make the same mistake again. Demand will be lower with the marquee players gone and the team in all likelihood not being a contender. Yes, it's NYC and there are always people looking for things to do...but there won't be more people here next year than this year. So at the end of the day I do think this is the year that many people on the fence finally jump. I'm making the call tomorrow.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm guessing you have until Friday to un-renew. lol

What are you on the fence about? If you can sell the games you don't need and break even (give or take) it's probably worth keeping them. For me some of my tickets fall into that category and others don't, so it's easy for me to decide what to do.
First, wife dropped a bomb on me that she really doesn't want to go anymore. Says she doesn't like the atmosphere and going is not as much fun as it used to be. Went through my list, and she only went to 3 games this year. Every other game I went to, I went with someone else. Secondly, even though we sell the tickets, she doesn't like having to lay out all this money so far in advance. I only spent $762 out of my own pocket this year, when you figure how much I got back for each ticket I sold. I think my average cost per ticket was around $48. BUT, we are still paying $1180 today, for tickets we will not receive for 6 months. Considering ~650 a month for the next 6 months, that is about $5000 before I start collecting. I could ask my regulars to pony up some money ahead of time, but I have never done that. I see it as the big picture where I am getting all the money back. She doesn't. She doesn't see the value in paying now as an "investment". Said it would be different if I was selling the tickets at a profit, like I do with my Giants tickets. With them, I plan to keep 4 games and sell the other 4. Which 4 will depend on the schedule, but the minimum I will sell for is $140 and my regular season face is $105. On the $2300 I pay out, I go to 4 games and still get back anywhere from 1500-2000. Last year, a guy took all 6 of my tickets for a game (well, my 2 plus 2 from each of my brothers). Then, he called me and asked if I could get more. So, contacted the guys in my row that I know and they were all willing. They just wanted the $105 back. He sent me a check for $140 per ticket just because he had already collected from some friends and didn't want the new guys to pay less and didn't feel right pocketing it himself. He openly said, "keep it. you hook us up every year and go out of your way for us."

She is of the mind that we might as well just give them up and buy whatever tickets we want to buy. Once I explained to her the cost that way, she became a little more willing. She is also thinking about the other costs/inconveniences. Tolls, parking (with spot-hero can get a garage for $20, which is actually cheap for a game nowadays. Mets are $25, Giants are $30. I think the Yankees are $40 and up. We also have kids, 4 1/2 and 9 months. Harder for my parents to come to my place to babysit, so to drop them off and pick them up after the game is a pain. Or, we can hire a babysitter, but that obviously adds to the cost. Dinner, and usually we get something simple, but it adds up. Finally, because of what the team is doing with the rebuild, she is afraid I am going to have a harder time selling the tickets. I am not worried about it as my regulars will take anywhere from 20-25 games from me, more if I let them. One guy usually takes about 12-15 from me and then another 5 or so from the guy to my right, and not necessarily just to get 4 tickets. Whatever I have left, I offer out to people and generally get them all claimed within a week to co-workers. I will sell a few games for a profit, but that is really not my concern. A few times I had tickets on the exchange at a price where they would sell, then took them down for a friend at my cost.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
First, wife dropped a bomb on me that she really doesn't want to go anymore. Says she doesn't like the atmosphere and going is not as much fun as it used to be. Went through my list, and she only went to 3 games this year. Every other game I went to, I went with someone else. Secondly, even though we sell the tickets, she doesn't like having to lay out all this money so far in advance. I only spent $762 out of my own pocket this year, when you figure how much I got back for each ticket I sold. I think my average cost per ticket was around $48. BUT, we are still paying $1180 today, for tickets we will not receive for 6 months. Considering ~650 a month for the next 6 months, that is about $5000 before I start collecting. I could ask my regulars to pony up some money ahead of time, but I have never done that. I see it as the big picture where I am getting all the money back. She doesn't. She doesn't see the value in paying now as an "investment". Said it would be different if I was selling the tickets at a profit, like I do with my Giants tickets. With them, I plan to keep 4 games and sell the other 4. Which 4 will depend on the schedule, but the minimum I will sell for is $140 and my regular season face is $105. On the $2300 I pay out, I go to 4 games and still get back anywhere from 1500-2000. Last year, a guy took all 6 of my tickets for a game (well, my 2 plus 2 from each of my brothers). Then, he called me and asked if I could get more. So, contacted the guys in my row that I know and they were all willing. They just wanted the $105 back. He sent me a check for $140 per ticket just because he had already collected from some friends and didn't want the new guys to pay less and didn't feel right pocketing it himself. He openly said, "keep it. you hook us up every year and go out of your way for us."

She is of the mind that we might as well just give them up and buy whatever tickets we want to buy. Once I explained to her the cost that way, she became a little more willing. She is also thinking about the other costs/inconveniences. Tolls, parking (with spot-hero can get a garage for $20, which is actually cheap for a game nowadays. Mets are $25, Giants are $30. I think the Yankees are $40 and up. We also have kids, 4 1/2 and 9 months. Harder for my parents to come to my place to babysit, so to drop them off and pick them up after the game is a pain. Or, we can hire a babysitter, but that obviously adds to the cost. Dinner, and usually we get something simple, but it adds up. Finally, because of what the team is doing with the rebuild, she is afraid I am going to have a harder time selling the tickets. I am not worried about it as my regulars will take anywhere from 20-25 games from me, more if I let them. One guy usually takes about 12-15 from me and then another 5 or so from the guy to my right, and not necessarily just to get 4 tickets. Whatever I have left, I offer out to people and generally get them all claimed within a week to co-workers. I will sell a few games for a profit, but that is really not my concern. A few times I had tickets on the exchange at a price where they would sell, then took them down for a friend at my cost.

I definitely hear you about the upfront cost of season tickets. Every October my checking account is barely in the black. Then my paypal account starts going nuts and my financial situation changes. That's the story when you pay most of a $20k+ season ticket invoice before you can make any sales.

Sounds like you are doing ok with your seats. It's nice to have some regulars to cover a good bit of the cost, not to mention the fact it reduces the part time job associated with moving your extras. I used to split my seats with a couple other guys but one guy moved out of town and another wanted to go downstairs for business purposes.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The ultimate guilt trip. Telling the kids you raised to be ranger fans that you gave up your season tickets because of them.

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
Yes, once you give them up you can forget about ever replacing them in a similar or better location.

How much less, if at all, do you expect to get next season?

I don’t have any idea how I’ll do next season. Willing to take a chance though. The team this year couldn’t have been less exciting to watch and I still ended up not losing money. Honestly I think it might be a more exciting to team to watch next year with all the young players. The effort certainly has to be better.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don’t have any idea how I’ll do next season. Willing to take a chance though. The team this year couldn’t have been less exciting to watch and I still ended up not losing money. Honestly I think it might be a more exciting to team to watch next year with all the young players. The effort certainly has to be better.

I agree with this. How that will translate into ticket sales I can't say, but win or lose it's nice to see a group that gives it their all every night. Hopefully we'll get consistent 60 minute efforts.

Reactions: Rangers110

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
I agree with this. How that will translate into ticket sales I can't say, but win or lose it's nice to see a group that gives it their all every night. Hopefully we'll get consistent 60 minute efforts.

So true, can’t remember the last time the team gave a 60 minute effort on a consistent basis. The success of this team has been Hank for many years. Other teams look like they’re on the power play for long stretches and we never have extended offensive zone time.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
There is no question non-renewals will be unusually high this year. In addition to the uncertainties surrounding the roster and being in full rebuild mode the fact that tickets are no longer deductible for businesses is a huge under appreciated factor. For those businesses the effective cost of Ranger tix has increased dramatically and will be much harder to justify. At a minimum I think non-renewals will be at least triple previous years.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
There is no question non-renewals will be unusually high this year. In addition to the uncertainties surrounding the roster and being in full rebuild mode the fact that tickets are no longer deductible for businesses is a huge under appreciated factor. For those businesses the effective cost of Ranger tix has increased dramatically and will be much harder to justify. At a minimum I think non-renewals will be at least triple previous years.
Yeah the cost has gone up for small businesses for sure. If you're an LLC you no longer have the 50% Meals & Entertainment deduction. So say your effective pass through tax rate is high at 40%, you are losing 20% of your ticket cost to taxes. So for a pair of $100 tickets that works out to an extra expense of $1760 per season. Small businesses may think twice before renewing and just take clients or their family through stubhub instead. Large businesses probably won't blink and just renew as long as their clients enjoy the perk, especially if they are a C-Corp since their tax rate just dropped from 35% to 20%

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So I did the deed. Called in and canceled my pair. Sad to give them up but I lost too much on them this year and next year will no doubt be worse. I'm down to 3 in a better section...so I should be able to break even on those.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
My son and I agreed to not renew 1 week ago. Today he texts me that we are never going to have them again. So we renew...

Reactions: eKardz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->