Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Me, too. Whenever I am at a game, I typically ask my neighbors if they "own" the seats. They say, "No." There are / were many pairs near me that were always sold...

Wasn't there a recent MSG blog that suggested they want more fans to have the opportunity to experience a Rangers game so they are chopping up the Fulls?

It's nice to hear your seat neighbors are helping out too

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

lhg39

Manny Malhotra Fan
Dec 28, 2006
NJ
From my perspective as a buyer, I am simply not willing to payer $100 to go to a regular season hockey game. I am just looking for the cheapest seats I can find. The Rangers multiple tiers and differential section pricing have gotten out of hand. Sure, Inwould take a center ice seat over a corner for the same price. I am not going to pay X% more for it, though, as it doesn’t matter that much to me. I think the powers that be have created an unsustainable situation.

It is also a joke that they want to “make more tickets available” to more people. At the prices they are charging there are not many who can afford them! It has gotten to be pure greed on their part.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
From my perspective as a buyer, I am simply not willing to payer $100 to go to a regular season hockey game. I am just looking for the cheapest seats I can find. The Rangers multiple tiers and differential section pricing have gotten out of hand. Sure, Inwould take a center ice seat over a corner for the same price. I am not going to pay X% more for it, though, as it doesn’t matter that much to me. I think the powers that be have created an unsustainable situation.

I hear ya... I always take that into account when shopping for sports tickets. However, there are few occasions where I'd consider taking a restricted view seat for an event. I will pay more for a better seat, but not MUCH more.

It is also a joke that they want to “make more tickets available” to more people. At the prices they are charging there are not many who can afford them! It has gotten to be pure greed on their part.

Baghdad Bob at work..... It's all about monetizing, not long term stability...

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
My preference for better seats varies. For a one off game, I might be more willing to shell out $10-$20 per ticket to sit center ice compared to the corner. When it comes to a ticket package with the Rangers, I’d much rather be paying the $69 or $78 for the upper corners than the $89 I’m currently paying for centers. $3-$4 discrpenecy I was fine paying but it’s a little different when it’s over $10 a seat over 44 games.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Tickets are not priced for you, they are priced for the tourist crowd. The premium is built in for one-time visitors with a big entertainment budget and they do pay that price. This month is a bloodbath because of the volume of home games coinciding with the point of maximum supply (October) and with the Yankees making a run. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the team is, when we get to January with 4 home games and 64% of home games gone, even if the Rangers are 20 points out of a spot prices will still be $100+ per ticket with little available on game day.

NYRA15

Jun 8, 2015
Long Island
This is the first time I can remember people selling a Ranger Islander game for face value ( I have been only been on this board for 3+ years or so). Maybe it's the full October schedule.

As some of you guys mentioned before the half ST is not really a good value (even for the Knicks they are overpriced). This is why I will not renew my halfs for next season, not matter what the Rangers do this season. I do enjoy getting the playoffs for face (even tho its an inflated face value), I found it to be still cheaper than the secondary markets. But if I am losing money on the higher tier games and breaking even on the lower tier games (all my buddies took the lower tier games and no one wanted the higher tier games), then I might well overpay for a playoff game or two and not worry about how I can sell a game when I can not attend. Just less headache I guess.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
imo of course, i think if MSG never did the renovations they most likely would have never went public, bc they did, is the reason why we are in this very spot right now. I don't believe prices would have skyrocketed as fast and variable pricing probably wouldn't have existed if they stayed private. Going public makes things worse for us, better for shareholders which is why we are being squeezed so tight and also why they dont give a shit about us subs.

long term the only way one can remain a season ticket holder is to have that tenured pricing. As each year passes less and less full season subs will exist, meaning less and less tenured folks, youll get more halves and minis hitting the market, on top of any new subs that get whacked for higher pricing, giving us at least a breakeven on games as a worse case scenario

Last edited:

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
This is the first time I can remember people selling a Ranger Islander game for face value ( I have been only been on this board for 3+ years or so). Maybe it's the full October schedule.

As some of you guys mentioned before the half ST is not really a good value (even for the Knicks they are overpriced). This is why I will not renew my halfs for next season, not matter what the Rangers do this season. I do enjoy getting the playoffs for face (even tho its an inflated face value), I found it to be still cheaper than the secondary markets. But if I am losing money on the higher tier games and breaking even on the lower tier games (all my buddies took the lower tier games and no one wanted the higher tier games), then I might well overpay for a playoff game or two and not worry about how I can sell a game when I can not attend. Just less headache I guess.

Even the playoffs at face isn't that great of a deal. Last year, the first two rounds were greatly overpriced. There was plenty available for at or near face. The third round always sells poorly because at that point people are saving for the finals.

khalpin

Mar 30, 2011
Sorry if this has been answered before, but is there a list of which games are in each of the 11 pricing tiers? I saw a partial list on page 4 of this thread but can't find a complete list anywhere, including the official sites.

lhg39

Manny Malhotra Fan
Dec 28, 2006
NJ
It is pretty sad if the primary market that they are targeting is tourists and not true fans. Further erodes any home ice advantage.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
It is pretty sad if the primary market that they are targeting is tourists and not true fans. Further erodes any home ice advantage.

And then they try to push this Rangerstown home ice nonsense and talk about how everyone’s a family inside the arena. All bullshit.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Sorry if this has been answered before, but is there a list of which games are in each of the 11 pricing tiers? I saw a partial list on page 4 of this thread but can't find a complete list anywhere, including the official sites.

12/23 vs Chicago and 1/3 vs the Leafs are the two on my plan. Not sure of the other two. Most likely one is the 12/23 game.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This forum lost a lot of data in the "transition" to the new format. I'll try to recreate as much as possible. Here are the 11 tiers with sample prices from blue seats and corner 200's lower rows (3-14):

9/18Mon7:00 PM(PRE) New York Islanders$35$69
9/20Wed7:00 PM(PRE) New Jersey Devils$35$69
9/25Mon7:00 PM(PRE) Philadelphia Flyers$35$69
10/23Mon7:00 PMSan Jose Sharks$35$69
10/10Tue7:00 PMSt. Louis Blues$38$74
10/26Thu7:00 PMArizona Coyotes$38$74
11/6Mon7:00 PMColumbus Blue Jackets$38$74
11/28Tue7:00 PMFlorida Panthers$38$74
11/8Wed8:00 PMBoston Bruins$42$80
12/1Fri7:00 PMCarolina Hurricanes$42$80
12/11Mon7:00 PMDallas Stars$42$80
1/18Thu7:30 PMBuffalo Sabres$42$80
10/31Tue7:00 PMVegas Golden Knights$47$87
11/26Sun2:00 PMVancouver Canucks$47$87
3/6Tue7:00 PMWinnipeg Jets$47$87
3/12Mon7:00 PMCarolina Hurricanes$47$87
10/8Sun7:00 PMMontreal Canadiens$52$94
11/19Sun7:00 PMOttawa Senators$52$94
2/9Fri7:00 PMCalgary Flames$52$94
3/20Tue7:00 PMColumbus Blue Jackets$52$94
10/19Thu7:00 PMNew York Islanders$58$102
11/24Fri7:00 PMDetroit Red Wings$58$102
12/19Tue7:00 PMAnaheim Ducks$58$102
2/23Fri7:00 PMMinnesota Wild$58$102
10/17Tue7:00 PMPittsburgh Penguins$64$110
10/21Sat1:00 PMNashville Predators$64$110
1/16Tue7:00 PMPhiladelphia Flyers$64$110
2/7Wed8:00 PMBoston Bruins$64$110
10/5Thu7:00 PMColorado Avalanche$71$120
11/11Sat1:00 PMEdmonton Oilers$71$120
12/15Fri7:00 PMLos Angeles Kings$71$120
2/25Sun7:00 PMDetroit Red Wings$71$120
10/14Sat7:00 PMNew Jersey Devils$78$129
2/1Thu7:00 PMToronto Maple Leafs$78$129
3/24Sat7:00 PMBuffalo Sabres$78$129
3/30Fri7:00 PMTampa Bay Lightning$78$129
12/9Sat7:00 PMNew Jersey Devils$87$140
2/18Sun1:00 PMPhiladelphia Flyers$87$140
3/14Wed8:00 PMPittsburgh Penguins$87$140
3/26Mon7:30 PMWashington Capitals$87$140
12/23Sat7:00 PMToronto Maple Leafs$97$152
12/27Wed8:00 PMWashington Capitals$97$152
1/3Wed8:00 PMChicago Blackhawks$97$152
1/13Sat1:00 PMNew York Islanders$97$152
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I was on the phone with my rep. on Friday as I called him to RSVP for the Rangers Jeopardy team event on the 13th when our conversation drifted into the poor resale market. My seats are in the upper bowl lower half so not great but not bad. I happen to have 6 seats on the aisle. I mentioned to my rep. that the resale market for this past Saturday's game against the Devils was a little soft and he surprised me by telling me that there are 6 other sets of 6 in my section and 4 of them post every game for sale including the 6 right next to mine and 6 two rows in front of mine. I was told that this is the 3rd year MSG is monitoring every ticket listed for sale not just the ones on TicketExchange. It was explained that they have computer software that easily tracks these tickets . I was also told that a decent amount of STH's added extra seats to their account in the past several seasons but not next to each and some added singles. The resale market is totally saturated and MSG not only knows this but is tracking everything that is listed. I wonder how many STH's for a variety of reasons just keep their tickets to just sell them and don't either bother going to more than a handful of games. I know that 10 early home games are tough when the team is off to a slow start but I personally think that the oversaturation of tickets available have more of an impact that the teams performance reference the resale market.
They can try to track it all they want. They will have a huge problem if they try to revoke tickets. On one hand they actually use the resale ability as part of their sales pitch and secondly, they will only hurt themselves. The markets is saturated because of the pricing, period. The higher they drive prices, the more games people put on sale, it is pretty simple. Start revoking tickets, and that is less people looking to buy. If the REALLY think everyone on the waiting list is going to use them for their own personal use, then they are as dumb as they are naive.

I'd also love to know how they are able to monitor stubhub. They can make assumptions if they consistently see the same section and row being posted, but there is no way they are getting specific information. Stub Hub and MSG are not exactly chummie.

Reactions: McD27

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

And then they try to push this Rangerstown home ice nonsense and talk about how everyone’s a family inside the arena. All bull****.

Their primary market is the person who pays the highest dollar on a recurring basis. Jim Dolan doesn't care about hockey or Rangerstown or any of that, he just cares about maximizing revenue and equity. "Rangerstown" and "brotherhood" are branding tools to achieve that goal. We haven't had home ice advantage since at least the renovations. Not too many hardcore fans sit downstairs at these prices and fewer and fewer are sitting upstairs.

ray hey

Mar 8, 2008
Amazing that it is impossible to sell tickets for tonight. And I have great tickets at the price break rows, etc. It's the Stanley Cup Champions who happen to be a great rival & nobody is interested. This is not just a going up against the Yankees & an October issue. It's a bad sign

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Amazing that it is impossible to sell tickets for tonight. And I have great tickets at the price break rows, etc. It's the Stanley Cup Champions who happen to be a great rival & nobody is interested. This is not just a going up against the Yankees & an October issue. It's a bad sign

The yankee game is not exactly setting the secondary market on fire either. You can get pretty good seats below face there too.

Maybe GG is right about this is just a typical October and I do agree that the 1-5 record is not a big factor.

But when I saw the opening night Avs game going for as low as $9 (maybe that was a glitch but there also several sets of blues for $33), something is not right.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Nope, nobody is interested is right. I took whatver I could get for my center ice seats. Had to eat $55. Will be an easy choice not to renew next year.

Reactions: NYRA15

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Even the playoffs at face isn't that great of a deal. Last year, the first two rounds were greatly overpriced. There was plenty available for at or near face. The third round always sells poorly because at that point people are saving for the finals.
Before I got a half, I just stubhubbed everything. Got totally crushed buying in the finals.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Priorities change for people as life goes on and prices change. Personally speaking, I'll go to about 15-20 during the regular season at MSG. It would be more if prices were cheaper. Out of those games though, I'm only attending 12 of those with my tickets as of now. I just can't justify the price for my seats for more games and then finding people to go with. For the other games, I'll sit elsewhere for a variety of reasons such as getting a different perspective, cheaper tickets, getting tickets through work, wanting to sit with a specific friend, etc. But in terms of what I use from my ticket package personally, the number I keep for my own use dwindles by the year. This year is 12, the year prior was 15, just about 3-4 seasons ago it was between 20 and 25.
Exactly. I first got my seats when I was 22 (1998). My friend and I probably went to about 25 games together, he took 5 to bring random people, I took about 5, and we sold a few to friends/co-workers. Then, he was sent to Cleveland by his company for what was supposed to be just the football season, but it turned permanent. Over the next few years, had a few friends who wanted to go, they had just finished college and all finally had big boy jobs and had disposable income. Probably went to 25-30 games with them, sold the rest. But, they started buying houses, getting engaged, job changes (most were working in manhattan right out of college, so it was easier) and little by little they faded out. Eventually met my wife who was also a fan and we started going together, but less often as other expenses started to increase. Now, with a 4 year old and a 4-month old, childcare becomes the issue. Our families are always willing to babysit, but it is just easier on weekends. I think I sold 26 of the 41 games, 20 to regulars, 4 to co-workers. 2 on the exchange. My regulars now are not the people I went with the first few years.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Before I got a half, I just stubhubbed everything. Got totally crushed buying in the finals.

If they make the ECF, you can make quite a bit back in return for your seats. Anything before that, about face value if you sell it early enough.

I don't even think people want the Islander game on Thursday and it's literally the biggest rival we have and another fanbase can buy our tickets to go to the game.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
If they make the ECF, you can make quite a bit back in return for your seats. Anything before that, about face value if you sell it early enough.

I don't even think people want the Islander game on Thursday and it's literally the biggest rival we have and another fanbase can buy our tickets to go to the game.
On the flip side of that, no one wants the Rangers - Isles at Barclays either.....and that used to sell out constantly.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

ECF doesn’t even sell for that much of a premium. Face is already really high and depending on if the Rangers have Home ice in the first two rounds, there’s kind of a burn out from a fan perspective. Like stated above, a lot of people already spent a lot in rounds 1-2 or they’re saving up for the SCF.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The yankee game is not exactly setting the secondary market on fire either. You can get pretty good seats below face there too.
Maybe GG is right about this is just a typical October and I do agree that the 1-5 record is not a big factor.
But when I saw the opening night Avs game going for as low as $9 (maybe that was a glitch but there also several sets of blues for $33), something is not right.
It was no glitch, but it was a panicked seller. He dropped his pants way too quick the seats were in the 400's row 4 I think, he dropped to $10 then $9 and they got bought right away. I guess maybe he assumed he couldn't sell once the game started but there are always plenty of buyers well into the second period. The next cheapest was like $30 and you could have gotten excellent seats for like $40-$50 which is a far cray from the $250 they had been listed for.

The prices will ramp up to the premium prices but it's too early in the season people aren't focused on hockey. As soon as that real chill in the air hits and the Christmas decorations come out it's like a switch people need to be near the ice it's like a magnet. To get the real sense of the market you have to look at it over an entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad