Rumor: Rangers Pursuing Shattenkirk

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
like i wrote responding to a post citing Demers as 'worth' $5.5M,

I'd rather find guys younger guys comparable to Shatt/Demers,
but who are at stage to sign contract at the price bracket of those guys current contracts, rather than their nextcontracts

as what we found in Klein, Stralman

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
ill take Shattenkirk for free...i dont want to give up assets for him only to have to give him a monster contract.

No thanks. Rangers need assets...young assets. Shattenkirk would be better with a different coach too. Honestly if Torts was the coach Shattenkirk would be better...and I say that because Torts would play Shattenkirk with McD and the 2 of them would literally play 30+ minutes a night.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Shattenkirk and McD were born in the same year.

Not saying it's good idea or not, just to put things in perspective a little bit, they were last season the 56th and 62nd oldest defenders to play.

Dan Boyle was the #1 oldest, only defender born in 76 or earlier

Girardi 20th oldest defender
Klein 23rd
Both 1984 B-days, only 23 defenders born that year or earlier played

Staal 42nd oldest. 1987 B-day

It is becoming a young mans game more so than ever in my opinion, but that also means that McD is also someone who is actually going to be on the old side when his current contract ends, as strange as that sounds, he will likely rank in the top 35 or so oldest defenders playing when his next contract starts.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
People believe anything they read these days....

He's not getting traded to the Rangers. Who do you think we are trading to get him? We are in NO position to be giving away all our young players for one player who isn't even a young player.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, lets give away some more first rounders, we have some to play with after this year again!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Interesting note about the expansion draft... Bobby Mac is saying teams can trade or offer a pick to Las Vegas to not take a guy they expose.

Las Vegas can absolutely stockpile picks.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Interesting note about the expansion draft... Bobby Mac is saying teams can trade or offer a pick to Las Vegas to not take a guy they expose.

Las Vegas can absolutely stockpile picks.

last time around teams made side deals like that with the expansion clubs in secret. this time the nhl is just acknowledging it

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
People believe anything they read these days....

He's not getting traded to the Rangers. Who do you think we are trading to get him? We are in NO position to be giving away all our young players for one player who isn't even a young player.

No one is talking about trading prospects and picks here. If this deal happens, it'll fall under the category of a hockey trade.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No one is talking about trading prospects and picks here. If this deal happens, it'll fall under the category of a hockey trade.

What exactly do you think it will take to get Shattenkirk?

Staal, Stepan, and a 3rd?

They are going to want low salary high end prospects/picks for him. The whole reason they would trade him is because they won't be able to afford him.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona

They are going to want low salary high end prospects/picks for him. The whole reason they would trade him is because they won't be able to afford him.

No, it's not so much that they can't afford him. It's that he's being passed on the depth charter and they can't justify paying him that kind of money when they have rd they like more then him already.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

That's not my understanding of the situation. My understanding is that he doesn't want to resign there. The Blues have $14m to sign 4 forwards right now and Stastny is off the books soon enough. They don't need D.

They're going to look for the best package, and likely it's about what helps them now, rather than later. They just made the WCF as a fairly young team. They're not looking to move backwards here. They're pretty strong at wing, which is the main reason they might now be into Nash.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Source: #stlblues and #oilers in talks about Shattenkirk. Oilers offering Nugent-Hopkins; Blues asking price: Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.
since idk how to post a tweet it's from @lkorac10

everyone keep trying to convince yourselves were "really" in on Shattenkirk though :laugh:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Because they aren't going to get rid of assets for a player that won't stay more then a year

I don't disagree with this, only way a team like Edmonton is trading for him is with an extension in hand. Regardless we don't have the expendable players and picks it would take to get him; and I don't think the blues want Nash that badly.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I don't disagree with this, only way a team like Edmonton is trading for him is with an extension in hand. Regardless we don't have the expendable players and picks it would take to get him; and I don't think the blues want Nash that badly.

I don't think we will get him either. Unless he goes to management and tells them he wants to play for the rangers

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I don't think we will get him either. Unless he goes to management and tells them he wants to play for the rangers

idk who he's told but its already been reported he wants to play for us, Pat Leonard even said he would take a discount. but that doesn't change the price, only way I see us getting him is on July 1 2017.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad