Rumor: Rangers Pursuing Shattenkirk

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-hot-pursuit-shattenkirk-perfect-fit-article-1.2683804

Pat Leonard of the NY Daily News wrote that the Rangers are in hot pursuit of Kevin Shattenkirk. Makes a lot of sense, considering they just let Yandle go, Dan Boyle is gone and a couple of others are not going to be coming back.

A few questions remain...

1. What will it take to bring Shattenkirk (who idolized Brian Leetch growing up) back home to NY?

2. Is it Rick Nash that's going the other way? Ken Hitchcock loves Nash and Nash has played his best hockey that's going the other way.

3. If so, how much will the Rangers have to retain if they do to make this trade work?

4. Could Dylan McIlrath or Brady Skjei be involved?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
No thank you. For the love of ****ing god, enough with this ****. No more soon to be 30 year old free agents.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Yandle 2.0. Will get less ice time than Girardi, second powerplay unit, gonna cost a boatload of assets to acquire, won't be paired with McD, will get sick of AV and bolt in FA. Also means McIlrath is 100% gone, they're not getting rid of Girardi or Klein.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Shattenkirk

Yuck.

Do not want.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yandle 2.0. Will get less ice time than Girardi, second powerplay unit, gonna cost a boatload of assets to acquire, won't be paired with McD, will get sick of AV and bolt in FA. Also means McIlrath is 100% gone, they're not getting rid of Girardi or Klein.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Shattenkirk

Yuck.

Do not want.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Love Shattenkirk, would love to do a deal for him in a vacuum, but AV will just **** all over it.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
You'd think NYR would have SOME leverage of the deal, if the Blues are inclined to move him.

I don't imagine they are of the same thinking as our FO. Deal him now and get a decent return, or don't deal him and let him leave for super late picks.

The onus is on the Blues to move him ASAP, no? ... or would he get a better return next deadline?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
bleh. I would do the trade if
1) retaining zero Nash $
2) extension negotiated
3) extension is <5 years
4) one of our immovable d-contracts is moved (can be in another trade)

McD-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Klein
Staal-McI

I still think Nash is the better player but obviously last season does not agree.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah lets pay king's ransom for a player who could leave for nothing in 12 months time.

Yandle situation all over again.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
TFW you're 31 and people act like you die at 30.

Stop by for shuffleboard at my nursing home. We have the best prune juice around!

FYI, if you're old enough to buy a beer, you're too old to play for the Rangers. Probably too old to be alive.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
No thank you. For the love of ****ing god, enough with this ****. No more soon to be 30 year old free agents.

Can we stop with the notion that players in the second half of their 20's are ready for retirement?

There's literally a window of 2 years between 25 and 27 it would seem that players are worthwhile having on your team.

Just wth

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I love defensemen like Yandle and Shattenkirk. Too bad our clown coach doesn't, and prefers skating bricks of lead with literal stones for hands. Shattenkirk would just be another Yandle situation, except it would be Girardi eating his minutes instead of Staal. So even more infuriating. Get a new coach and I'll get onboard the Shatty train.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I really hope they're at least telling the Blues they know he's leaving in a year anyway and they're not paying some stupid amount for him.

KreiderHouseRules*

I think it will be for Hayes/Miller and a mid pick, or Kreider straight up (which id absolutely loathe.) I don't think they want Nash's salary even with retention. Nash is going to DAL/ANA/MIN/DET/NSH or staying in NY if the offers just aren't there.

And if it were Nash going for Shatt, there could be some retention but there's no add. Maybe even a small add from STL because Nash has two years compared to Shatt's one, and is honestly still the better player in the eyes of most GM's.

I's also rather trade Nash for a package of YOUTH - an RD like Honka, Montour, or Manson for example PLUS a decent roster player on a salary less than 3-4M

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Nash for shattenkirk , getter done . Otherwise they may like Klein in a package , heck of i know

We won't be complaining w a top pair of mcD and shatty . Bumps down girardi who is bought out in a year

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The Blues don't want Nash.

If they trade any other roster player of significance for him I will be pissed. Such a stupid waste of assets.

KreiderHouseRules*

McD-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Shattenkirk

Yuck.

Do not want.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

A) if we add a RD like Shatt/Barrie/even a young NHL-ready guy like Honka/Montour/Manson, Klein is the one dealt. He has the most value. McIlrath's value is squat. He barely even played in the NHL and has no offense. Klein had 2 good years production-wise and his value is not going to be this high again in all likelihood.

2) He's not Yandle. Shatt is a much better and smarter defender, and he's a bit more physical. He also QB's the PP in a diff way. He's the shooter but can also make great passes, understands movement to open up the right lanes, and often sneaks back door for a cross-crease tap-in. He's very smart.

C) He doesn't have to be paired with McD to be effective. Staal was actually a real defenseman who can take a puck off the boards and make a quick turn and move it to the open man for a breakout / regain possession. He's been paired with RDs who don't fit. When he was with Stralman he could play to his own strengths and be successful. Staal-Shatt would be similar, assuming Staal is still here.

If he's not, McD-Shatt or even Skjei-Shatt would be great since Brady doesn't bring much offense...yet.

He's also a totally different personality which is why AV may not have loved Yandle. Much more serious & coachable / adjustable player.

Can we just forget about Yandle? We owe no real loyalty to him. He was here for 1.25 seasons. He wasn't Brian Leetch, nor was he always playing at his best (which is fine) but let's move on. Adding Shatt would be a great move, depending on the return. And it's silly to assume AV would use him the same way as a player he's very different from, despite a few minor similarities.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Shattenkirk is a better all around player than Yandle. He fills a hard to find right side first pairing slot. He has a big shot from the point. He grew up a Rangers fan so I would think he would be very happy to play for the Rangers. If the Rangers make a deal for him--they should already have an agreement for his next contract worked out with his agent so that there's none of this **** we just saw with Yandle.

One of the main problems with Yandle is the Rangers coaching staff didn't trust him in defensive situations. When you're a defenseman and completely and utterly out of the the penalty kill rotation it says something. Some people ***** that Yandle didn't get enough minutes but he got more minutes than any other d-man on the Rangers at 5v5 and power play. The Rangers didn't really shortchange him on ice time.

Last edited:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
If they make that trade, they are a clueless organization with absolutely no idea of the concept of asset management. Just sign him as a UFA.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You'd think NYR would have SOME leverage of the deal, if the Blues are inclined to move him.

I don't imagine they are of the same thinking as our FO. Deal him now and get a decent return, or don't deal him and let him leave for super late picks.

The onus is on the Blues to move him ASAP, no? ... or would he get a better return next deadline?

Like we had leverage with Tampa for St. Louis, or Carolina for Staal.

Why is it that players who only want to play for the Rangers end up costing so much to acquire?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm sorry, it just does NOT make sense that this is actually true.

1) You had Yandle, whom you could have brought back for ~$6.5MM AAV, and you let him walk.
2) Now, you're going to go burn an asset to get almost the same player? (Right-handed, a bit better defensively, but come on - essentially much the same player?)
3) Who will need the EXACT SAME deal that Yandle got, if not more, in only a year's time?

Why, because you LIKE burning assets?

I maintain that Leonard is getting this from STL sources looking to drive up Shatty's price. Especially since everything we hear is that Gorton has his whole braintrust on lockdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad