Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
It's clear that we will get a great prospect at 9 (just hopes management dont try to be smarter then everyone else and take a project out of the left-field).

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Meanwhile in Finland:

HC TPS held a press conference today, to announce a bunch of new players and contracts. In a local radio interview, GM Antero Niittymäki admitted that NYR prospect Patrik Virta has invoked his contractual KHL-clause and is expected to leave the team.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Meanwhile in Finland:

HC TPS held a press conference today, to announce a bunch of new players and contracts. In a local radio interview, GM Antero Niittymäki admitted that NYR prospect Patrik Virta has invoked his contractual KHL-clause and is expected to leave the team.
Would this mean he is coming over to the US?

Or going to KHL?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hold the goddamn phone, Antii Nittymaki is management now? Feels like he was in the NHL just yesterday. Is this what it feels like to be you old folk?

Good for Virta. KHL is a step up in competition from Liiga, and if he’s coming to Hartford, that’s just gravy.

Reactions: Joey Bones

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hold the goddamn phone, Antii Nittymaki is management now? Feels like he was in the NHL just yesterday. Is this what it feels like to be you old folk?

Good for Virta. KHL is a step up in competition from Liiga, and if he’s coming to Hartford, that’s just gravy.

I feel the same. Feel the same about Freddy Sjostrom being a GM in Sweden. Wasn't he just here?

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

A year or two in the KHL would be great for his development.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Or going to KHL?

It's a KHL-specific out clause. Didn't seem like Niittymäki had any idea of where Patrik might be headed, so I guess we're now waiting to hear, which KHL club steps up and makes the announcement. Virta was under contract with TPS until 2019.

Want to feel even older? Saku Koivu was recently named the team's director of player development, plus Sami Salo is the team's assistant coach. Salo is also responsible for working with TPS' young defensemen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel the same. Feel the same about Freddy Sjostrom being a GM in Sweden. Wasn't he just here?

Sjostrom always feels like one of the players who was here longer than he was.

In reality, it was less than 100 regular season NHL games, plus another 17 playoff games. In my mind it feels like his Ranger career was more along the lines of Betts' time with us.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sjostrom always feels like one of the players who was here longer than he was.

In reality, it was less than 100 regular season NHL games, plus another 17 playoff games. In my mind it feels like his Ranger career was more along the lines of Betts' time with us.

That is surprising. I guess it was just over a season

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I swear that every Swedish and Finnish NHL'er from the past two decades is on the staff of a team either back in their home country or somewhere else in Europe. Particularly the Swedes. Makes sense given how well they're structured nationally.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Do you consider Dobson the 4th best D in the draft, or does Bouchard or another guy sit at pretty much the same level?

I have Smith as #4 but it's close between Smith, Dobson and Bouchard with Lundkvist not that far behind. They're a tier behind Hughes/Boqvist though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Or going to KHL?

He is going to the KHL, not NHL. NHL have a transfer agreement with Finland, meaning that he can leave his team there without invoking any clause.

One thing is good and that is that he now is getting defective status -- i.e. we don't have to sign him within 24 months of the draft.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
He is going to the KHL, not NHL. NHL have a transfer agreement with Finland, meaning that he can leave his team there without invoking any clause.

One thing is good and that is that he now is getting defective status -- i.e. we don't have to sign him within 24 months of the draft.
Jokerit???

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jokerit???

Will be announced later. Jokerit would be a likely candidate. Moving from Turku to Helsinki. This means no CHL for Virta and no reason for me to travel to Munich to see TPS.

Patrik Virta has used the KHL option in his contract.
The TPS striker Patrik Virta has canceled his contract for the first time. The 22-year-old second-leg liiga player is moving to KHL but the new team is not yet known at this stage.
- He has a KHL option in his deal, which he has used, told Antero Niittymäki, Sports Director of Palloseura, Turun Sanom.
In the end of the season, Power recorded 40 Power Points (14 + 26) and was the fourth most powerful player in his team.
TS: TPS menettää tehohyökkääjänsä KHL-jäille

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, that could be for sure. Of the KHL team I prefer Jokerit probably. They know what they are getting, well run. But I recon it can be any KHL team although most Finns go to Jokerit.

If I had to choose, either Jokerit or SKA. Both Helsinki and Petrograd are beautiful cities to live in

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If I had to choose, either Jokerit or SKA. Both Helsinki and Petrograd are beautiful cities to live in

Agreed on SKA from a hockey perspective, but they are much more powerful than the rest. Jokerit must turn every cent they got to be able to compete, SKA could get annoyed at something and add a zero to a contract offer to a Rykov/Shestyorkin type. Not that I expect any problems with those two either, but I wouldn't count my chickens before they are hatched if they play for SKA. But I agree with you, Leningrad is a great place to live in, a special city.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

The fact that either of those two clubs want him there is a pretty big deal for the kid, yeah? I have always followed all of your guys reports on him and I’m really rooting for this kid to make it here one day.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

There are some indicators that KHL will be turning into a league with more evenly spread talent (compared to the last few years).

Kazan' is good hockey place. Dinamo Moskow is looking to build itself back into contender. Metallurg, Avangard, Salavat Yulaev, Traktor and Loko should also be good places to continue to develop.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's clear that we will get a great prospect at 9 (just hopes management dont try to be smarter then everyone else and take a project out of the left-field).

However, I do think there is a pretty big illusion of what is left-field and not.

If you look at the draft results the last years only its very obvious that its very much not an exact science. There is kind of a main road established by McKenzies polling of Canadian scouts, but those views aren't better than anyone else nor the actual teams' picks.

Looking around at the different rankings we have seen lately, Button, Pronman, Redline-report and so forth -- its obvious that they are all over the place.

I think its obvious just how much everyone struggle with their cross scouting, i.e. merging the results of watching a Bokk in Swe Jun, a Isac Lundeström in the SHL, Jesperi Kotkaniemi in the SM-liiga, Kravtsov in the far-away KHL division, Farabee in the US program, Tkachuk in college, Dobson in the Q, Bouchard in the OHL, Merkley, Smith, Velano, some but far from all of these guys in different junior tournaments.

The more you divide these players into group, the more consistent these rankings become. Its plus/minus 2-3 spots, very rarely more than 4-5 spots. Of course some guy being a bit more over the place. But its after you merge those groups that the result really varies.

Each of the 31 teams have more resources to cover a draft than all of the independent scouting services have combined. Everyone is in the same boat, there isn't much of a main road to deviate from.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Regina plays Swift Current tonight. Swift Current is who took down Regina in the WHL playoffs. If Regina wins, they're in the semis. If not, the teams play a tiebreaker tomorrow.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So now Regina plays Hamilton, who beat Soo (Gettinger) in the OHL finals. Winner of that plays Acadie-Bathurst who won the Q. And that winner hoists the Memorial Cup.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So now Regina plays Hamilton, who beat Soo (Gettinger) in the OHL finals. Winner of that plays Acadie-Bathurst who won the Q. And that winner hoists the Memorial Cup.
Are they broadcasting the Regina-Hamilton game? That’ll be a slugfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->