Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
By all accounts it looks like a very good draft year. Some years are kind of shit and some years underperform to expectation but occasionally there have been draft years where practically everybody scores on the first round and even deeper. The Jessiman year was one like that---which we botched and hardly anyone else. This year looks like it could be a year like that--that knowledge when it comes will be something that comes in hindsight but even so the Rangers are in excellent position to exploit this particular draft with 8 picks out of the top 101 right now. Who knows we may add more picks or consolidate some to grab even better positioning.

You want your scouts to do their job and your player development guys to do their job afterwards. 8 out of the top 101 in what should be one of the better draft years--the Rangers have a chance to wind up with 3, 4, 5 NHL players and maybe even two or three very good ones if they choose right and the players continue to improve. Shit does happen and some of them probably won't pan out but there's no point to being negative all the time.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
By all accounts it looks like a very good draft year. Some years are kind of **** and some years underperform to expectation but occasionally there have been draft years where practically everybody scores on the first round and even deeper. The Jessiman year was one like that---which we botched and hardly anyone else. This year looks like it could be a year like that--that knowledge when it comes will be something that comes in hindsight but even so the Rangers are in excellent position to exploit this particular draft with 8 picks out of the top 101 right now. Who knows we may add more picks or consolidate some to grab even better positioning.

You want your scouts to do their job and your player development guys to do their job afterwards. 8 out of the top 101 in what should be one of the better draft years--the Rangers have a chance to wind up with 3, 4, 5 NHL players and maybe even two or three very good ones if they choose right and the players continue to improve. **** does happen and some of them probably won't pan out but there's no point to being negative all the time.

I’m as optimistic as ever. Draft looks stacked and it’s really hard to compare talent back then to the way it’s a little more clear cut today - however ‘03 is a good year to look at compared to this one, no?

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gettinger has a primary assist. Soo down 2-1 halfway through.

Kingston is getting smoked 5-0 after they lost Game 1, 6-2.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m as optimistic as ever. Draft looks stacked and it’s really hard to compare talent back then to the way it’s a little more clear cut today - however ‘03 is a good year to look at compared to this one, no?
I was thinking this too. Scouting has - it seems to me, at least - really evolved in the last 5-10 years. As has player development. Meaning the draft is a bit of a safer bet nowadays. Still a bet, of course. But I think the Rangers will more likely find good players and more likely develop them nicely.

Reactions: Rongomania

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I was thinking this too. Scouting has - it seems to me, at least - really evolved in the last 5-10 years. As has player development. Meaning the draft is a bit of a safer bet nowadays. Still a bet, of course. But I think the Rangers will more likely find good players and more likely develop them nicely.

This is an interesting discussion. As statistics, genetic/biologic analysis, physical, and psychological evaluation have advanced in recent years (exponentially so in anything that can be quantified - though for myself personally i think adv stats are should just be considered an evaluation tool. they should be acknowledged but not overvalued in projections - there's almost no linear developmental tracks). that said, as evaluative tools and theories advance, so too do developmental strategies designed to maximize performance in draft evaluations. i would opine that as scouting continues to evolve, so too does the physical and mental preparation provided to draft prospects.

so while i'd certainly agree scouting has advanced tremendously, so has the physical prep for these draft prospects. and probably more impotantly (or significantly as it relates to draft prep), these kids are better mentally and emotionally prepared than ever to meet with teams. the high end kids will spend years being groomed to project the right attitude and characteristics. i'd guess there are something close to just as many draft coaches/advisors as there are scouts watching.

not trying to be argumentative, just find this an interesting topic - especially as it relates to our draft situation with a war chest of top 3 round picks. i'd opine that outside of a handful of differentially talented prospects (dahlin, svech, zadina(biggest fan he has), hughes, boqvist), the rest of this draft will be defined by the space between everyone else's ears. which guys have the base level of nhl ability (most of the rest of the top 3 rounds will be similar physical capability) that compliment is with the confidence and fortitude to make that a reality. thats where the difference lies. But as the analysts/scouts sharpen their focus on desired characteristics, so too do players competing for those draft slots.

OTOH my personal opinion on why we've failed to identify an elite offensive talent since what like leetch? (though i do have some hope for chytil) traces to this. i think our scouts that view bravado of elite skill guys as a GIANT red flag (ie barzal/keller). wouldn't say they're entirely wrong to do so, as often times those players (speaking to the elite offensive talents that aren't your mcdavid/crosby/matthews prodigies) have trouble assimilating to a locker room / playing a team game where W/L results matter more than how many guys they dangled on a rush. alllllll that said, we're beyond desperate for some skill, so jesus murphy find some gordie.

Reactions: egelband

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This is an interesting discussion. As statistics, genetic/biologic analysis, physical, and psychological evaluation have advanced in recent years (exponentially so in anything that can be quantified - though for myself personally i think adv stats are should just be considered an evaluation tool. they should be acknowledged but not overvalued in projections - there's almost no linear developmental tracks). that said, as evaluative tools and theories advance, so too do developmental strategies designed to maximize performance in draft evaluations. i would opine that as scouting continues to evolve, so too does the physical and mental preparation provided to draft prospects.

so while i'd certainly agree scouting has advanced tremendously, so has the physical prep for these draft prospects. and probably more impotantly (or significantly as it relates to draft prep), these kids are better mentally and emotionally prepared than ever to meet with teams. the high end kids will spend years being groomed to project the right attitude and characteristics. i'd guess there are something close to just as many draft coaches/advisors as there are scouts watching.

not trying to be argumentative, just find this an interesting topic - especially as it relates to our draft situation with a war chest of top 3 round picks. i'd opine that outside of a handful of differentially talented prospects (dahlin, svech, zadina(biggest fan he has), hughes, boqvist), the rest of this draft will be defined by the space between everyone else's ears. which guys have the base level of nhl ability (most of the rest of the top 3 rounds will be similar physical capability) that compliment is with the confidence and fortitude to make that a reality. thats where the difference lies. But as the analysts/scouts sharpen their focus on desired characteristics, so too do players competing for those draft slots.

OTOH my personal opinion on why we've failed to identify an elite offensive talent since what like leetch? (though i do have some hope for chytil) traces to this. i think our scouts that view bravado of elite skill guys as a GIANT red flag (ie barzal/keller). wouldn't say they're entirely wrong to do so, as often times those players (speaking to the elite offensive talents that aren't your mcdavid/crosby/matthews prodigies) have trouble assimilating to a locker room / playing a team game where W/L results matter more than how many guys they dangled on a rush. alllllll that said, we're beyond desperate for some skill, so jesus murphy find some gordie.
Weren’t we extremely high on Keller at the 2016 draft?
Same with Pettersson last year we tried to trade up

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kingston was blown out again, 7-1. They've been outscored 13-3 in 2 games. Day had an assist.

Soo won Game 1. Gettinger had a primary assist.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

I really do think this way. Which is why if they wind up keeping the three we’ve got and stand still, I am sure we will do real well.

However, I am hoping we make some deals and get that 2 in the top 15 or so as I think that will be our chance to nab two nice players.

Again, who the hell knows what our plan is, I am certain we’ll be blindsided by something.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
I really do think this way. Which is why if they wind up keeping the three we’ve got and stand still, I am sure we will do real well.

However, I am hoping we make some deals and get that 2 in the top 15 or so as I think that will be our chance to nab two nice players.

Again, who the hell knows what our plan is, I am certain we’ll be blindsided by something.

I agree with you. I think we can add an asset(s) to those 2 late first picks to move up into teens.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I agree with you. I think we can add an asset(s) to those 2 late first picks to move up into teens.

That’s what I’m talking about.

Then, you start throwing out names like Names, Spoon, Hayes, Zucc, the 2nds, new prospects and holy s*** what is going to happen?!

Repeating myself: Exciting times to be a fan of this team. Into it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Is it? Or are players getting a shot at the NHL earlier on before they've really had a chance to show a lack of progress in the minors? I was thinking about this yesterday.

I mean if you start from the 2008 going up to the 2015 draft, you've got something like 90% of top-10 picks making it to the NHL and sticking. But is that the result of their being better scouting or the value teams place in having players on ELCs?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He reminds me of Raanta a lot of times. Then at times he reminds me of Quick.

I think Benny Allaire is going to have a blast with George and Igor for years.

Reactions: belford222

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He reminds me of Raanta a lot of times. Then at times he reminds me of Quick.

I think Benny Allaire is going to have a blast with George and Igor for years.

He doesn't challenge as much as Quick does, but yeah is is a small goalie.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next Yeremeyev :scared:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Very excited about what we could have with Shestyorkin. He's done very well thus far, and as mentioned above this is before Allaire gets his hands on him. Hopefully he comes over in '19.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is it? Or are players getting a shot at the NHL earlier on before they've really had a chance to show a lack of progress in the minors? I was thinking about this yesterday.

I mean if you start from the 2008 going up to the 2015 draft, you've got something like 90% of top-10 picks making it to the NHL and sticking. But is that the result of their being better scouting or the value teams place in having players on ELCs?

I think it plays a part too. But if the players aren’t good they’d still bomb out.
Goes back to the idea that development and opportunity are keys. These guys all have talent but they also all need development. Some of the reasons and factors that might have hindered development have been removed or minimized. But indeed, as you say, the timelines have become more structured and young players are definitely getting more chances earlier. Also expansion has played a helpful part.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Weren’t we extremely high on Keller at the 2016 draft?
Same with Pettersson last year we tried to trade up

i do think you're correct on keller (if the rumors are correct), it was a lazy choice on my behalf. pettersson i view in an entirely different class because he still plays the full sheet. the comment was more intended to address those mid first - maybe early 3rd range guys thought to have elite offensive skill/potential but with notable warts whether personal or on ice effort related (whereas i'd put keller in that guaranteed star class). in a broad analysis of that class of prospect they are largely busts, but there are enough notables to pan out to make that risk enticing (at least once in a blue moon). especially when you are as devoid of talent and explosiveness as we are. i do agree with our general philosophy and evaluation in drafting, but every now and again you need to take a (calculated) high risk pick and hope.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Doubt this draft comes close to 03. I’m not too impressed by picks 10-31 those picks aren’t that much better than the average draft year and there’s more boom/bust guys.

The top 10 is f***ing STACKED though. (Dahlin, Svech, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Zadina, Dobson, Bouchard, Farabee, Boqvist, Tkachuk all have legit chances to be elite players)
What really separates this draft from any other draft is the depth and that second/third round. That second/third round has potential to be on of the best in a long, long time, a lot of those guys in that 2nd round would be potential 1st rounders in any other draft. The depth is unreal

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Doubt this draft comes close to 03. I’m not too impressed by picks 10-31 those picks aren’t that much better than the average draft year and there’s more boom/bust guys.

The top 10 is ****ing STACKED though. (Dahlin, Svech, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Zadina, Dobson, Bouchard, Farabee, Boqvist, Tkachuk all have legit chances to be elite players)
What really separates this draft from any other draft is the depth and that second/third round. That second/third round has potential to be on of the best in a long, long time, a lot of those guys in that 2nd round would be potential 1st rounders in any other draft. The depth is unreal

Another reason to keep our picks in those rounds this year, rather than trading up.

Reactions: belford222

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Another reason to keep our picks in those rounds this year, rather than trading up.
I’d be open to trading one of our late firsts for a pair of 2nds as well. There is very little difference from picks 20-50

Reactions: Phoicon

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Nah dude, just stay put. Add picks maybe. Only trading chip left is Zucc, really. I mean Smith has to be like untradable atm, right? I don't want Zucc gone though. Just stay put and scout the hell out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad