Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I get it I do but a guy with this tool box should be given every opportunity to succeed and fail. If he’s a moron I’d put him on the wing and never think twice about it. He’d put up 50 pts just by putting his skates on.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Liiga is worse than the SEL. According to Ola who follows the Scandinavian leagues, the worst teams in the SHL are roughly where the best teams in the Liiga are, which is kind of how I'd describe the difference between the NHL and the KHL. Stromwall was a second liner in the Liiga. Kovacs was a first liner in the SHL. Big difference. I really don't see how being a star in Allsvenkan vs being a bad AHLer vs being a second liner in Liiga is that much different. Malte seems to have hit his plateau, just bouncing around different leagues performing as expected. Malte will enter next season as a 24 year old, so his progress can be expected to be very marginal from now on, if any progress is to be made.

Kovacs is 2+ years younger. That matters a lot. Kovacs is 21 until Thanksgiving and should realistically have at least 2 years of fairly rapid development and another 1-2 years of marginal development. Going from not being able to play in the SHL one year to holding up in the AHL the next is an improvement. Going from a bottom-6 guy in the AHL to a first liner in the SHL is a big improvement. So far, no signs of a plateau, which is what you'd expect of someone who only got the right to buy beer in the US during this season. How bad could a preseason PTO hurt?

Bruh, I honestly don't care. I was simply saying that Kovacs isn't an NYR prospect anymore and there have been no rumors of a return with him. You really didn't need to explain yourself :laugh:

I think it's great that he has put himself back together after such a tragic incident and hope he continues to develop, but there literally has been no indications of him coming back over....

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Also to note, @Beacon , the league difference thing you always mention is bs. SKA and CSKA of the KHL can easily compete in the NHL....

I would disagree. I hear this a lot but I just saw the playoff series between SKA and CSKA and it was really disappointing. there really weren´t that many players ready to play in the NHL. Kaprizov, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk. The gap between the KHL and the NHL in terms of defensive coverage, forwards forechecking has never been higher. I think KHL was closer to NHL and what you say was true 2-3 years ago. Not anymore.

People watch the fancy highlights of individual plays and think KHL is about that. It´s more like 45 minutes of sloppy play. 5 minutes of individual brilliance you can see on Twitter and YouTube and 10 minutes of normal hockey following a gameplan.

Because of that, I would say some perhaps less talented players of SHL have an advantage in making a transition to the NHL. SHL is obviously not only a step but two steps behind the KHL in terms of talent but almost all teams follow a very detailed and disciplined strategy.

There´s always going to be great young talent from Russia that NHL teams should target and that young talent playing in the KHL for 3-4 years is not a problem. But someone playing in the KHL for 5-6 seasons or being just a solid 4D, middle six forward is unlikely to make the jump.

Reactions: eco's bones

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I feel like we're setting Day up for failure by saying things like "I don't see how he isn't a star in the NHL his talents are just unreal!"

His physical talents are great, but the NHL is about more than physical talent. You can't be a successful NHLer on physical talent alone, you have to be able to process the game, make reads, know your positioning, and hone your instincts. If Day can do that he could be great, but that's always been the biggest knock on him.

Will be interesting to see him at the next level and how he adapts

Reactions: Edge

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yeah I feel like we're setting Day up for failure by saying things like "I don't see how he isn't a star in the NHL his talents are just unreal!"

His physical talents are great, but the NHL is about more than physical talent. You can't be a successful NHLer on physical talent alone, you have to be able to process the game, make reads, know your positioning, and hone your instincts. If Day can do that he could be great, but that's always been the biggest knock on him.

Will be interesting to see him at the next level and how he adapts

I'm not entirely positive, but I think the Day stuff is sarcasm

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would disagree. I hear this a lot but I just saw the playoff series between SKA and CSKA and it was really disappointing. there really weren´t that many players ready to play in the NHL. Kaprizov, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk. The gap between the KHL and the NHL in terms of defensive coverage, forwards forechecking has never been higher. I think KHL was closer to NHL and what you say was true 2-3 years ago. Not anymore.

People watch the fancy highlights of individual plays and think KHL is about that. It´s more like 45 minutes of sloppy play. 5 minutes of individual brilliance you can see on Twitter and YouTube and 10 minutes of normal hockey following a gameplan.

Because of that, I would say some perhaps less talented players of SHL have an advantage in making a transition to the NHL. SHL is obviously not only a step but two steps behind the KHL in terms of talent but almost all teams follow a very detailed and disciplined strategy.

There´s always going to be great young talent from Russia that NHL teams should target and that young talent playing in the KHL for 3-4 years is not a problem. But someone playing in the KHL for 5-6 seasons or being just a solid 4D, middle six forward is unlikely to make the jump.

IMO there are a couple KHL teams that could compete as a whole at the NHL level--not be great teams but competitive anyway.....but generally most of their teams....no. Rosters throughout the KHL are dotted with smaller, older players. It's not unusual to find several 5-7, 5-8 guys on a team and/or several 35 years and older players. There are a lot of NHL washouts and ex-AHL'ers who are very important players for their teams. I think most KHL teams would struggle a lot. Then you'd get into smaller surface rinks and elongated (for them) schedules.

Conversely though I think at least some NHL teams would have problems competing over there. The extra skating space would be a nightmare for many bigger, slower NHL players.....which is to say just because you're a good player in the NHL doesn't mean you would be in the KHL and vice versa. I agree to that the SHL and even Liiga get underrated a bit.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I never said they'd be good in the NHL, lolol. Just mentioned they could compete. But I understand what you mean.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Reactions: GregSirico
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad