Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Extremely proud of the organization. Players health and general well-being always should come first.
Absolutely. That they allowed a promising prospect out of his contract for his own well-being is great. And they didn't just loan him out--they actually let him go and do whatever he wanted and needed to do to get right.

The organization has always been good about respecting the wishes of guys in the minors who wanted out or to go somewhere where they'd be afforded a better chance.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
He's the same age Crawley and younger than Virta, both of whom we just drafted in 2017. We released Kovacs at the age of 20. Seems a bit premature. Maybe he grows more mature with age? Why give up on a kid before he can buy a bottle of beer legally in the US?

Kid was involved in a brutal car accident. That'll mess with anyone's head and mentality. Wanted to go home to recoup. I don't blame the kid for that decision.

NYR let him go, unfortunately, but it is what it is. Maybe he'll come back, maybe he won't. No leads, ATM.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kid was involved in a brutal car accident. That'll mess with anyone's head and mentality. Wanted to go home to recoup. I don't blame the kid for that decision.

NYR let him go, unfortunately, but it is what it is. Maybe he'll come back, maybe he won't. No leads, ATM.

Heatley killed Snyder, then had a great career. If I'm Gorts, I pick up the phone and find out how Kovacs is doing. Maybe he wants a PTO for the preseason. If he does well, we give him a contract and loan him back to Lulea. Next season after (2019-20), let him try to make the Rangers and stick in Hartford for a midseason callup. If he does well in the 2018 preseason. If not, it's a US vacation for him.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Heatley killed Snyder, then had a great career. If I'm Gorts, I pick up the phone and find out how Kovacs is doing. Maybe he wants a PTO for the preseason. If he does well, we give him a contract and loan him back to Lulea. Next season after (2019-20), let him try to make the Rangers and stick in Hartford for a midseason callup. If he does well in the 2018 preseason. If not, it's a US vacation for him.

Wishful thinking, much. Let's see if there'll be any rumors on this when the SHL season ends. Rangers also let go of Stromwall, too, and he had a decent season in Liiga.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rangers also let go of Stromwall, too, and he had a decent season in Liiga.

Liiga is worse than the SEL. According to Ola who follows the Scandinavian leagues, the worst teams in the SHL are roughly where the best teams in the Liiga are, which is kind of how I'd describe the difference between the NHL and the KHL. Stromwall was a second liner in the Liiga. Kovacs was a first liner in the SHL. Big difference. I really don't see how being a star in Allsvenkan vs being a bad AHLer vs being a second liner in Liiga is that much different. Malte seems to have hit his plateau, just bouncing around different leagues performing as expected. Malte will enter next season as a 24 year old, so his progress can be expected to be very marginal from now on, if any progress is to be made.

Kovacs is 2+ years younger. That matters a lot. Kovacs is 21 until Thanksgiving and should realistically have at least 2 years of fairly rapid development and another 1-2 years of marginal development. Going from not being able to play in the SHL one year to holding up in the AHL the next is an improvement. Going from a bottom-6 guy in the AHL to a first liner in the SHL is a big improvement. So far, no signs of a plateau, which is what you'd expect of someone who only got the right to buy beer in the US during this season. How bad could a preseason PTO hurt?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That's fair, but I said that this can happen only if Lias and Howden become quality 2C/2C players. Zib is good, but he's not a center who wins the Cup as a 1C. But if adding some combination of Chytil, Lias, Howden and Nieves as our 2C, 3C and 4C makes Hayes expandable, he could be packaged to upgrade Zib to a better 1C.

Aside from McDavid, there is not one other center I would trade Mika and Hayes for.

Reactions: Phoicon

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sorry my post was on ludicrous mode.
Please don’t enable TurgePurge. I can’t handle anymore elaborate ruses.

Only thing worse was the dude who claimed that his brother was on the Russian WJC team and then masqueraded as a cop in Dallas after the shootings.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Please don’t enable TurgePurge. I can’t handle anymore elaborate ruses.

Only thing worse was the dude who claimed that his brother was on the Russian WJC team and then masqueraded as a cop in Dallas after the shootings.

I wish I had a dime for every time some jackball came into a hockey locker room and lied. Two funny stories. When I was young I played on an A-league team in Florida. Anyhow, a Russian guy strolls in and says he played in the Russian elite league and we were like, "freaking awesome". Well he got on the ice and could barely move, we were laughing so hard I think a few of us broke some ribs.

The other time was in NY a guy strolls in and when asked where he played last year he says, "The Adirondack Red Wings'. Well unbeknownst to him the Capt of that very team was in the locker room, just one of those random life events, he looks up and says, " I don't remember him." I think we're all still laughing over that one.

Anyway, I thought I was clearly being sarcastic, with that other comment, I tried to make it obvious.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Liiga is worse than the SEL. According to Ola who follows the Scandinavian leagues, the worst teams in the SHL are roughly where the best teams in the Liiga are, which is kind of how I'd describe the difference between the NHL and the KHL. Stromwall was a second liner in the Liiga. Kovacs was a first liner in the SHL. Big difference. I really don't see how being a star in Allsvenkan vs being a bad AHLer vs being a second liner in Liiga is that much different. Malte seems to have hit his plateau, just bouncing around different leagues performing as expected. Malte will enter next season as a 24 year old, so his progress can be expected to be very marginal from now on, if any progress is to be made.

Kovacs is 2+ years younger. That matters a lot. Kovacs is 21 until Thanksgiving and should realistically have at least 2 years of fairly rapid development and another 1-2 years of marginal development. Going from not being able to play in the SHL one year to holding up in the AHL the next is an improvement. Going from a bottom-6 guy in the AHL to a first liner in the SHL is a big improvement. So far, no signs of a plateau, which is what you'd expect of someone who only got the right to buy beer in the US during this season. How bad could a preseason PTO hurt?
IDK something about SKA makes me feel like they'd be a wild-card NHL team. They would rip Arizona a new one.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Sean Day has a goal, 4 shots and is +4. He has 3 goals in 10 playoff games after having just 5 goals in the regular season. Day has always been a playoff performer.

I just saw his breakaway goal. Guy is so skilled I just don’t know how he isn’t a star player at the nhl level. He literally has it all. At worst he can play wing for me anyday.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It would be pretty funny if Day is a guy that drives us nuts during the regular season but is a playoff performer. Rangers haven't had a guy like that in quite some time.

On Kovacs, I don't think we ever see him again. His contract was terminated, not loaned. I'm happy he's doing better. I mentioned it in the main thread with Kane on the Sharks, some athletes can play anywhere and do well. Others need to be in a really small market, warm weather, etc. to succeed.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just saw his breakaway goal. Guy is so skilled I just don’t know how he isn’t a star player at the nhl level. He literally has it all. At worst he can play wing for me anyday.
The hurdle for Day has really always been a mental thing and how he sees the game. He has the physical tools.

We'll see how he reads the pro game once he's in Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad