Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Got an update from the Giants that Game 4 of their first round series vs Victoria has been pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday of next week in order to accommodate it being aired nationally in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet (only game 4 though. Not the rest of the series for some reason).

So Canadian Rangers fans can have a chance to watch Ronning on TV in that game. Sometimes (but not always) the NHL Network in the US will simulcast RSN's CHL coverage, so I dunno if the rest of you would get that opportunity.

Also had to post this, which I found funny.

This is Cliff Ronning reacting to Crosby's highlight goal last night:

This is him reacting to Ty hitting the 50 goal mark on the season:

Is it weird that I feel like he seems equally excited for a goal by Crosby than he does for a historic accomplishment by his own son? :laugh:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Got an update from the Giants that Game 4 of their first round series vs Victoria has been pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday of next week in order to accommodate it being aired nationally in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet (only game 4 though. Not the rest of the series for some reason).

So Canadian Rangers fans can have a chance to watch Ronning on TV in that game.

This is pretty cool. Even if it overlaps with my schedule, I will be PVRing and avoiding all things hockey until I can watch it.

Thanks for the heads up!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is pretty cool. Even if it overlaps with my schedule, I will be PVRing and avoiding all things hockey until I can watch it.

Thanks for the heads up!

It's a 7pm Pacific (so... 8pm Mountain? I suck at time zones that aren't Pacific and Eastern :laugh:) start time on Sportsnet 360. I thought it was a main network broadcast, but they've bumped it to 360 to account for Jackets/Flames on West and Oilers/Canucks everywhere else.

I, or more specifically my back, might even make it on TV if play comes down in front of the visitors penalty box :laugh:

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's a 7pm Pacific (so... 8pm Mountain? I suck at time zones that aren't Pacific and Eastern :laugh:) start time on Sportsnet 360. I thought it was a main network broadcast, but they've bumped it to 360 to account for Jackets/Flames on West and Oilers/Canucks everywhere else.

I, or more specifically my back, might even make it on TV if play comes down in front of the visitors penalty box :laugh:

8pm, yup! I won't be home until 930 or so, but I'll have it recorded to watch.

I'll keep an eye out for the crowd in that area haha. Would be a lot easier though, if you just like dumped a beer on a guys serving a penalty or something.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

So Canadian Rangers fans can have a chance to watch Ronning on TV in that game. Sometimes (but not always) the NHL Network in the US will simulcast RSN's CHL coverage, so I dunno if the rest of you would get that opportunity.

Also had to post this, which I found funny.

This is Cliff Ronning reacting to Crosby's highlight goal last night:

This is him reacting to Ty hitting the 50 goal mark on the season:

Is it weird that I feel like he seems equally excited for a goal by Crosby than he does for a historic accomplishment by his own son? :laugh:

I feel like some people have a harder time showing their emotions to those closest to them.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
8pm, yup! I won't be home until 930 or so, but I'll have it recorded to watch.

I'll keep an eye out for the crowd in that area haha. Would be a lot easier though, if you just like dumped a beer on a guys serving a penalty or something.

Tempting, but I think I'd like to enjoy the privilege of being able to get back into the arena in the future and not be banned for life.

The only thing I can think of that stands out is that I always have a red Giants #17 Gilbert Brule jersey. Not that it'll be terribly visible since the cramped confines of the camera perch on the suites level mean that it tends to miss the crowd underneath unless play gets right up against those boards.

I just know it can happen because it did happen once before (and amusingly not the time I got hit with a puck out of play :laugh:)

NemGiants.JPG

I'll be in the same seat.

I honestly don't hold out a lot of hope for the series because Victoria has generally been superior to Vancouver this season, but we'll see. The big key is going to be whether or not the Giants are getting their starting goalie back from injury. I want them to give Ty a nice long run as a send-off. He's pretty much been the most exciting player the team has had since Brenden Gallagher. I know that Benson was a near-1st-rounder, but his game has generally been kind of quiet/boring. Ronning has a lot of sizzle in how he plays.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Tempting, but I think I'd like to enjoy the privilege of being able to get back into the arena in the future and not be banned for life.

The only thing I can think of that stands out is that I always have a red Giants #17 Gilbert Brule jersey. Not that it'll be terribly visible since the cramped confines of the camera perch on the suites level mean that it tends to miss the crowd underneath unless play gets right up against those boards.

I just know it can happen because it did happen once before (and amusingly not the time I got hit with a puck out of play :laugh:)

I'll be in the same seat.

I honestly don't hold out a lot of hope for the series because Victoria has generally been superior to Vancouver this season, but we'll see. The big key is going to be whether or not the Giants are getting their starting goalie back from injury. I want them to give Ty a nice long run as a send-off. He's pretty much been the most exciting player the team has had since Brenden Gallagher. I know that Benson was a near-1st-rounder, but his game has generally been kind of quiet/boring. Ronning has a lot of sizzle in how he plays.

Hopefully Ronning's hat-trick clinches a series sweep ;).

To be fair, Benson was an Edmonton near-1st-rounder, so that makes him closer to a third rounder.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hopefully Ronning's hat-trick clinches a series sweep ;).

To be fair, Benson was an Edmonton near-1st-rounder, so that makes him closer to a third rounder.

:laugh: Touche.

Since you guys are looking likely to be on a rebuild path for the next few years, I might as well toss a couple more names out there to watch:

-Milos Roman (#40, center, 2018 eligible): Just got back from an injury that cost him basically every from January until about a couple weeks ago. Fast, hard-working, aggressive forechecker. Shows some offensive flash, but not a one-on-one gamebreaker (though he had a couple of moments during the WJCs with Slovakia). Might have the downside of a high-energy 3rd line winger or the upside of a solid 2nd liner. Not a sexy pick, but I like him a lot because he's the kind of pick that rounds out a good core.

Probably projects to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick (which pisses me off because guess what picks the Sharks don't have this draft? Thanks Roman Polak & Nick Spaling!)

-Bowen Byram (#44, defenceman, 2019 eligible): Was one of the best on the blueline for the Giants in spite of being 16 this season. Finished 3rd in points by a d-man behind a pair of draft pass-overs with likely little to no high-end pro future (one attended Canucks camp last fall and was a dumpster fire. He basically leeches PP points off Ronning/Benson and is dumb as a sack of doorknobs. The other was, I think, going to attend Panthers camp but didn't and is basically the type who is a solid B- across the board but won't be an impact pro without a single A-level skill.) He'll probably be the top defender next year and coudl wear a letter with all 3 of the Giants' letter-bearers due to depart. He's a smooth all-situations d-man who makes efficient plays and doesn't sacrifice his defensive responsibilities for chances on offence. And being from Cranbrook, BC makes me want to say there's a little bit of Scott Niedermayer in him, though I'm also extremely wary of how loaded of a comparison that is. Hell, he looked damn good playing a handful of games as a 15 year old last year in an emergency injury call-up role as well.

Projects at this point as a lottery pick in next year's draft (with some way-too-early top 10 consideration)

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the prospect thread with this, I just wanted to include it for the interested.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don’t understand the fascination with Cliff Ronnings tweet.

What’s he supposed to do, show a picture of them hugging and exclaim how much he loves his boy?

I'm mostly poking fun (becuase if you've ever seen me elsewhere on the site, I basically just poke and jab at everything kinda sarcastically), but I did kind of expected a little bit more than "hard work pays off." Maybe an "I'm so proud of you" or something to that effect.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ronning with an assist as the Giants lead Victoria 2-1 heading into the 3rd period of game 1 of their series.

If anyone wants, they can listen to the Giants radio feed here:

TSN 1040

I can't watch, but from everything I've heard it sounds like Ronning's having a very good game. Vancouver's doing well overall considering their starting goalie is hurt, but the 16-year-old backup is playing very well.

EDIT: current pro-Ronning/Giants mood:
sheldon-hyperventilating-big-bang-theory.gif

It's only a radio game and yet it sounds so intense.

EDIT 2: Giants win 2-1. Ronning named 3rd star of the game with an assist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Morgan Barron and Cornell are going up against BU (Tkachuk, Fabbro) it’s on ESPNews at 1 if anyone wants to see Barron who imo is our dark horse prospect
Saw him a few times this year, kid has a ton of tools but needs time to pull things together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->