Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
11. Huska (stupid decision to go to UConn always has been needs to turn pro immediately)

Why? Its not like he's going to play in the NHL immediately. NCAA is a decent development environment. Four years there is good preparation for the pros. He'll be 22-23 when he starts in the AHL after that, and then within a few years, he could play in the NHL, if he's good enough. We don't need him playing in the NHL right now. Being an NHL'er at 23-25 is not out of ordinary for goalies.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I would be curious if someone could explain the rationale for ranking Shesterkin, as a goalie, over high end skating prospects like Chytil or Andersson. It seems to me like goalie prospects, basically as a rule, should be less valuable than high end skating prospects because:

1) Goalie prospects are more uncertain and are tougher to project. We've been through this recently with Skapski and Halverson, not to mention Lafleur, Montoya, or Blackburn.
2) Unless an NHL goalie is able to sustain an elite level for several years like Lundqvist or Price, they seem to be relatively commoditized. The bar for a goalie prospect to be a legitimately valuable NHL asset seems to be higher than it is for a skater.

It seems to me like this is backed up by the facts that 1) teams rarely draft goalies in the top 2 rounds anymore and 2) out of the 50 highest paid players in the NHL, only 2 are goalies (and Rask is 49th). So when NHL teams vote with their draft capital and salary cap space, they say that goalies are less valuable than high end skaters.

I would be curious to hear the rationale if anyone ranking Shesterkin above Chytil or Andersson could explain why they have a different perspective.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Being an NHL'er at 23-25 is not out of ordinary for goalies.

People are having expectations on goalie readiness being off because of Georgiev and Shesty at this point. Shestyorkin would probably be in the NHL if he didn't re-sign in SKA a few years ago. Georgiev looks all the part while being here.

It was no more than 12 months ago Wall and Huska were blooming at the NCAA level. People were expecting them to sign probably after this season, maybe next, and be in the NHL at 22ish. That's not very easy for a goalie to do.

I know you can never have enough good goalie prospects, but with the developments over the past 12 months, I'd be inclined to trade one of Wall or Huska at this point, if it meant getting a better pick in this draft, or getting a good, young forward on this team. If they needed to be added to a trade for a Jesse Puljujarvi (for example), I would not hesitate, knowing Georgiev, Shesty, and Wall/Huska are still around.

They'll draft another goalie in the late rounds this year. They did not draft one last year. At this point, I can see their 5th-7th used on a goalie.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would be curious if someone could explain the rationale for ranking Shesterkin, as a goalie, over high end skating prospects like Chytil or Andersson. It seems to me like goalie prospects, basically as a rule, should be less valuable than high end skating prospects because:

1) Goalie prospects are more uncertain and are tougher to project. We've been through this recently with Skapski and Halverson, not to mention Lafleur, Montoya, or Blackburn.
2) Unless an NHL goalie is able to sustain an elite level for several years like Lundqvist or Price, they seem to be relatively commoditized. The bar for a goalie prospect to be a legitimately valuable NHL asset seems to be higher than it is for a skater.

It seems to me like this is backed up by the facts that 1) teams rarely draft goalies in the top 2 rounds anymore and 2) out of the 50 highest paid players in the NHL, only 2 are goalies (and Rask is 49th). So when NHL teams vote with their draft capital and salary cap space, they say that goalies are less valuable than high end skaters.

I would be curious to hear the rationale if anyone ranking Shesterkin above Chytil or Andersson could explain why they have a different perspective.

1. This is true to an extent, in my opinion. Its true for guys just drafted or goalies who aren't really producing and only have "potential." Its not true when that goalie might be the best goalie playing outside the NHL. Shestyorkin is an NHL'er right now, maybe a starter. There's very little uncertainty about his hockey ability.

2. Thats the reason. If you think Shestyorkin will be elite, he should be more valuable than Chytil or Andersson who profile as good/very good NHL'ers, but not as elite players at their position in the elite 1C or 1D mold.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
People are having expectations on goalie readiness being off because of Georgiev and Shesty at this point. Shestyorkin would probably be in the NHL if he didn't re-sign in SKA a few years ago. Georgiev looks all the part while being here.

It was no more than 12 months ago Wall and Huska were blooming at the NCAA level. People were expecting them to sign probably after this season, maybe next, and be in the NHL at 22ish. That's not very easy for a goalie to do.

I know you can never have enough good goalie prospects, but with the developments over the past 12 months, I'd be inclined to trade one of Wall or Huska at this point, if it meant getting a better pick in this draft, or getting a good, young forward on this team. If they needed to be added to a trade for a Jesse Puljujarvi (for example), I would not hesitate, knowing Georgiev, Shesty, and Wall/Huska are still around.

They'll draft another goalie in the late rounds this year. They did not draft one last year. At this point, I can see their 5th-7th used on a goalie.

I don't think goalies have much trade value, so unless I get a top 2 round pick, I'm not trading Huska. Unless someone gives me a top 4 round pick, I'm not trading Wall. I think he's underrated. His "bad" season is judged off of 12 games. I'm not sure any goalie should be judged off of a short stretch of bad games. But the chances are that neither will be included in a trade because teams usually don't trade for prospect goalies.

I agree though that expectations are out of whack for development of goalies. I don't think there are that many good goalies towards the top of this draft. Maybe take one in the later rounds. I wouldn't be against it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Going to be quite the competition for playing time at LD for the Wolf Pack next season

Lindgren, Hajek, and Day all coming in

While Pedrie, Crawley and Bigras are already there

Wonder if we'll see Day shift to his off side, I know his WHL teams were trying that for a bit

The Pack may actually be good next season with all these guys coming in, plus the addition of some guys they may draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think it speaks to what Shestyorkin has shown since being drafted. Simply put, you couldn't ask for much more from a goalie prospect other than dominating in the NHL, or maybe the AHL.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Going to be quite the competition for playing time at LD for the Wolf Pack next season

Lindgren, Hajek, and Day all coming in

While Pedrie, Crawley and Bigras are already there

Wonder if we'll see Day shift to his off side, I know his WHL teams were trying that for a bit

The Pack may actually be good next season with all these guys coming in, plus the addition of some guys they may draft.

I could see some of them making the team out of camp.

If we're not 'contenders' and they show they could hang, why not let them play in the NHL?

Could they be worse than O'gara? Gilmour?

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I really don't think the prospect pool is all that good. I mean other than Chytil and maybe Andersson there's no one who's a lock to become a top 6 forward or top 4 defencemen. Lot's of depth though.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would reckon a guess that O'Gara might not even be with the organization next year haha

There's no way they've been impressed with him since the trade. Why waste a contract spot on him

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I would reckon a guess that O'Gara might not even be with the organization next year haha

There's no way they've been impressed with him since the trade. Why waste a contract spot on him
He was always just another warm body that they’d take a flyer on after the Holden trade. If he works out, great. If not, he’s a local boy that can be AHL depth or just non-tendered.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Day is one of those guys who could climb considerably, or fall pretty quickly. I'm very interested to see how he does when he turns pro.

Overall, lists can be deceiving because the difference between six and nine, or ten and fifteen can be pretty small.
I've just always been high on Day. He reminds me of Buff 2.0.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I really don't think the prospect pool is all that good. I mean other than Chytil and maybe Andersson there's no one who's a lock to become a top 6 forward or top 4 defencemen. Lot's of depth though.
Its getting there I agree but I would not put it top 10 yet (But considering we were probably in the high 20's few years ago still huge jump). After this draft one would think we should be top 10.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

IMO the only prospect goalies that have any real value are Shesterkin, Georgiev and Huska and Huska's value is probably not that high. A 3rd? maybe. If you wanted to move up in a significant way in the draft using one of our goalies as bait it's Shesterkin or Georgiev. I think Georgiev has really made a case for himself as a potential NHL #1 goalie in the future. He looks f***ing solid and at 22 years old with a pretty damn shaky defense in front of him that's really something.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Its getting there I agree but I would not put it top 10 yet (But considering we were probably in the high 20's few years ago still huge jump). After this draft one would think we should be top 10.

Depends on how far off the radar the Rangers go. The further they go, the more likely observers are to overlook the system --- which is fine by me.

I say that because I think the Rangers picked up 3 or 4 kids at the deadline that are very good prospects. However, I don't know if most people really know or understand what the Rangers received. In other words, the Rangers didn't necessarily get guys who have received the most hype to date, they focused on guys they think can be legitimate NHL players in a few years.

Reactions: Joey Bones

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
1. This is true to an extent, in my opinion. Its true for guys just drafted or goalies who aren't really producing and only have "potential." Its not true when that goalie might be the best goalie playing outside the NHL. Shestyorkin is an NHL'er right now, maybe a starter. There's very little uncertainty about his hockey ability.

2. Thats the reason. If you think Shestyorkin will be elite, he should be more valuable than Chytil or Andersson who profile as good/very good NHL'ers, but not as elite players at their position in the elite 1C or 1D mold.

I think it speaks to what Shestyorkin has shown since being drafted. Simply put, you couldn't ask for much more from a goalie prospect other than dominating in the NHL, or maybe the AHL.

Thanks for the replies. I would still discount Shesterkin a little bit based on the higher threshold for goalies to make an impact, but the reasoning for ranking him highly makes more sense to me now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was always just another warm body that they’d take a flyer on after the Holden trade. If he works out, great. If not, he’s a local boy that can be AHL depth or just non-tendered.
I gotta say, the reports we got from knowledgeable Boston posters indicated O'Gara has more to offer than we've seen. He may be much better in more of a traditional zone-based defensive system. Everyone sucks in our current system so I can't write off O'Gara.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think I asked before but don't think there was a response. Should we expect Huska to sign with the Rangers now? Why wait (from his perspective)? Not for UConn education (no disrespect intended but this is no Harvard we are talking about).

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I gotta say, the reports we got from knowledgeable Boston posters indicated O'Gara has more to offer than we've seen. He may be much better in more of a traditional zone-based defensive system. Everyone sucks in our current system so I can't write off O'Gara.
I mean I’d love for him to prove me wrong, and I’ll gladly admit it. I think most of our kids need to be in a zone system anyways, similar to how the US plays at the WJC. Those teams can defend and still know how to play fast north-south hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->