Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He should buyout his last year and come over this offseason, this kind of ice time is not good for development.

I think it's fine, he's getting over 12 minutes a night on average for the best (and richest, which is good since it probably means really good practice) team outside the NHL. I'd say it's pretty likely he gets increased minutes next season too though it's not a given.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rykov's not in the lineup. They actually only went with 7, first three pairs and then Rundblad.

I want the kid to play, but he's not one of their top 6D. I'd say he should be 7th with this lineup, but I think the lineup as a whole is out of whack to begin with. Znarok seems to be a big fan of Zubarev, which I don't understand. From what I've seen, he's a plug. Belov should be his spot. And then Rundblad over Rykov? Rundblad sucks, he's probably the worst defensemen they have.

The lineup should be

Gavrikov-Voynov
Yakovlev-Hersley
Belov-Zub
Rykov

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's fine, he's getting over 12 minutes a night on average for the best (and richest, which is good since it probably means really good practice) team outside the NHL. I'd say it's pretty likely he gets increased minutes next season too though it's not a given.

I agree, I think he'll play more next season.

It seems obvious that they were only playing Rykov nearly every game for his development, and not because they think he's one of their top 7-8 defensemen.

I think he actually is, but they don't. A number of their defensemen have their contracts up after the season, and some probably won't return. I think Rykov will get a bigger role next season.

Reactions: Rongomania

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chris Peters of ESPN ranked us as having the 7th best system in the league.

The Rangers helped bolster their prospect pool over the last two years and are now starting to accumulate nice depth. Their top two prospects are their last two first-round picks: Lias Andersson and Filip Chytil. Both are getting quality reps in the AHL this season. That is a tough league for teenagers, and they are handling the AHL grind extremely well. The Rangers' haul in the Ryan McDonagh-J.T. Miller trade gave them a quality defense prospect in Libor Hajek and a higher end two-way forward in Brett Howden, who I seem to be higher on than most. The Rangers also have one of the top goaltending prospects in the game in Igor Shestyorkin, who has routinely put up solid numbers in the KHL. It certainly doesn't hurt that the club has already gotten some contributions from 22-year-old Alexandar Georgiev at the NHL level in net this year. Meanwhile, there are some rawer prospects in junior and college -- Ty Ronning, Timothy Gettinger, Sean Day and Ryan Lindgren -- who have more development ahead but also have some upside. The Rangers have also supplemented with some quality depth signings out of college free agency, such as Neal Pionk and Vinni Lettieri.

Ranking the top 10 NHL prospect pipelines

Reactions: Bozle

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
:nod:
I tend to agree with his overall take. Likewise, I am higher on Howden than most. I can live with that.

Nice to see. Haven’t seen us ever this high?

I agree. I see a lot of upside in Howden & Lias. I think they will surpass many, many expectations.

Can you freakin’ imagine how high we’ll rank after ‘The great haul of 2018’ ?!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Reactions: Lays

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I can't believe the Islanders have less points than us. When is that clown Snow going to lose his job. By far the worst GM in sports. Howden 81% on draws in the dot his last 3 games. He's the kind of forward we need more of on this team. Relentless worth ethic and actually has a hockey IQ and knows where to stand and how to move the puck. Not sure what has gone on with Gropp this season. I expected him to struggle in the AHL his first year. I would assume he needs to improve a lot with his game. Probably didn't help him that that team down there stinks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Great game for Howden.

He’s in a little bit of a goal rut at the moment, but you’ll notice he keeps finding ways to compete and contribute. THAT is one of the main reasons I really like him.

Even if the pucks aren’t going in, he’s setting other guys up, winning faceoffs, taking tough assignments, etc. It’s why he’s often one of the games three stars.

And he’s something like 41/58 on faceoffs over the last 3 games.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Great game for Howden.

He’s in a little bit of a goal rut at the moment, but you’ll notice he keeps finding ways to compete and contribute. THAT is one of the main reasons I really like him.

Even if the pucks aren’t going in, he’s setting other guys up, winning faceoffs, taking tough assignments, etc. It’s why he’s often one of the games three stars.

71% face off winning %, weak! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Rongomania

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Great game for Howden.

So, basically he's Stepan with size, better skating ability and better on faceoffs...definite 3rd liner.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So, basically he's Stepan with size, better skating ability and better on faceoffs...definite 3rd liner.
I’d put Howden on par with Stepan IQ wise, and Howden has a frame that can wear down teams a bit more. Between Howden and Lias, we have two serious SOBs to play against down the middle that can attack you in multiple ways. Lias has more grit to physically wear teams down like someone like Kesler. Howden locks teams down with reads ans positioning like Stepan.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think we can end up with players that have impacts like Stepan and Couturier

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I’d put Howden on par with Stepan IQ wise, and Howden has a frame that can wear down teams a bit more. Between Howden and Lias, we have two serious SOBs to play against down the middle that can attack you in multiple ways. Lias has more grit to physically wear teams down like someone like Kesler. Howden locks teams down with reads ans positioning like Stepan.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think we can end up with players that have impacts like Stepan and Couturier

Just need Chytil to hit his max potential and be that #1C. With Howden and Andersson they could run a 2A and 2B line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I want two of Chytil, Andersson and Howden starting on the NHL team next season. They can battle for a spot in camp. The players who best show they belong start in the NHL, the other in the AHL. Chytil and Andersson should go in with an advantage due to having played a successful AHL season and likely both having close to 10 NHL games played, but if Howden outplays them, he should start in the NHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I remember when Islander fans were saying Stepan would be, at best, a 3rd line center on their team haha.

My Pens fan cousin one upped that and just said he's a 3rd line center. And then was like tell me the teams that he's not a 3rd line center on. I won't lie there are quite a few teams where you can make that case.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
He was the first line center on a team that played in the Stanley Cup finals (and was there the whole season as well). Eat it Isles/Pens fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad