Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Windsor seems to be starting to sell assets. Gotta think Day might be shipped out sooner or later to a contender as well.

The only thing is that he's an overager, so it can get tricky.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Is he an actual overager? I thought this still his last season before being an overager
I'm not 100% sure how they classify overager, tbh. Day is in his 5th year, but he's also below the age most players are when they're "overagers."

His situation is just weird.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It goes by birth year. So players with a 1997 birth year are over-age players for this season. Even though Day turns 20 in January he's still not over-age. He's in the 98 class so his over-age season would be next year. I'm fairly certain he'd be the first six year CHL player, given his exceptional status and slower development. Can't imagine he'd be going back though. Even if he's mediocre they'll send him to Greenville or something.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
A few weeks ago there was a spirited debate about the Rangers drafts in 2014-2016. I did some research on the 2014 draft and was planning to write something but because my wife and I are in the process of buying a new house I have not had time to put my thoughts down.

Edge's excellent comment about evaluating drafts in context spurred me to get back to an analysis of the 2014 draft. It would be ridiculous to argue that having its second round pick be in the ECHL and not having signed its third or fourth round picks that the Rangers had a good draft. But just looking at the results of those 3 picks and the later picks that failed does not provide an adequate context for evaluating the draft.

1. First Round -- The Rangers lacked a first round pick. This is a problem in management of draft resources but not in selection. And trading away the pick is particularly important because 28 of the 30 players selected have played in the NHL, including #19 Tony De Angelo, and most look like they are going to have respectable NHL careers. If Michael Del Colle does not improve then we can say that a bad draft is using the #5 pick in the draft on one of the two players who did not play in the NHL. If the Rangers had kept that pick they could have chosen Adrian Kempe.

2. Second Round -- The Rangers had the second to last pick in the second round. But in the second round we see a very sharp drop off in NHL success to date. Of the 30 players selected only 8 have played in the NHL and only 3 have played more than 10 games.

3. Other Rounds -- There were 151 picks after the Rangers selected Brandon Halverson at pick 59. Of those 151 picks, 17 have played in the NHL. And of those 17 only 9 have played more than 10 games. So if in 2014 you were urging the Rangers to pick Brayden Point or Victor Arvidsson or Gustav Forling or Kevin Leblanc or Ondrej Kase then come on down and claim your prize. Yes the Rangers could have drafted one of these guys but there weren't a lot of them out there.

Obviously the final word has not been written on this draft and some draftees may progress to the NHL and others may have useful AHL careers and provide depth to NHL teams but to date this looks like a draft that had little depth.

4. Igor Shestorkin -- At pick 118 the Rangers selected Igor Shestorkin. I have never seen him play a game. But in reading the things many of you who have seen him play have written, it appears he has a shot to be a very good NHL player.

My conclusion based on evidence to date is that in the context of being without a first round pick in 2014 and having the second to last pick in the second round, the chances of having a productive draft in 2014 do not appear to have been high and if Shestorkin does turn out to be an NHL player, the 2014 draft, in the context of other players available, may not turn out to have been as bad as thought. I also would note that having seen a little bit of Tyler Nanne play I wouldn't give up all hope on him.

The other conclusion I draw is the Rangers have to stop trading away first round picks. It looks like Jeff Gorton is much more reluctant to do that than Glenn Sather.

Considering the number of picks we had, that would be a really solid draft.

It's also something to consider when we look at a lot of the 2013-2016 drafts. We can't really view them through the same prism as some of our other drafts. Just the absence of a first round pick alone has a significant impact on the likelihood of finding a mainstay NHL player.

Reactions: Ola

belford222

Aug 26, 2014
I was biased for Fogarty because he got on the ice with me and my boy's Squirt team to play a bit of shinny. This was maybe 8-9 years ago, so I was still kidding myself that I could play a bit of D. Made me look like a fool, though I could bother a couple of his other buddies that were also decent players. His reach and moves were what stood out.

I also saw a lot of Nanne at the HS level. He's basically the same with the Gophers as he was in HS. He is smallish, but not tiny, and is strong on his skates. If he was a pitcher you'd say he has "electric stuff". The exact opposite of a plodder.

What do you think of making Fogarty a defenseman ?

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gettinger is one of those very typical big winger with a board presence. Think of like a Ruslan Fedetenko type. There aren’t a ton of them left in the league.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gettinger is one of those very typical big winger with a board presence. Think of like a Ruslan Fedetenko type. There aren’t a ton of them left in the league.
Unfortunately, that is for a reason. They can't hack in the new NHL, unless they are bringing something else which not many of them do.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m not sure the Rangers have had a prospect like Ronning who routinely is the driver for his team like this. I can’t remember one.

There have been guys who put up points, but like this?

Reactions: bl02

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’m not sure the Rangers have had a prospect like Ronning who routinely is the driver for his team like this. I can’t remember one.

Duclair, St. Croix and maybe Callahan. Those are the last three I remember.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ronnings point total isn't that amazing, his goals total though, that's very good...
He is an overager though but his stint last spring in Hartford showed us his game translates atleast to the AHL, we'll see if he can take the next step after that too, i hope so :)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

I remember being excited about Cally in his overager year, though I'm not quite sure that he was tallying goals quite like Ronning is. Can't wait to get Ronning to Hartford where he can get going on taking his game to the next level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nell picked up his first two ECHL starts with Adirondack and did pretty well, going 1-1 with a 3.01 and .922.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember being excited about Cally in his overager year, though I'm not quite sure that he was tallying goals quite like Ronning is. Can't wait to get Ronning to Hartford where he can get going on taking his game to the next level.
Cally scored .85 goals per game, Ronning is at .91 right now. Cally had 52 in 62 games. Duclair had 50 in 59. St. Croix had 105 and 92 points his final two seasons. Dawes had 92 points the season before we picked him, then scored 47 goals in 56 games and 50 in 63 the next two years. Christian Thomas, his D+1 year he had 54 goals and 99 points in 66 games. Forgot about him. Before that you'd probably have to go back to Pavel Brendl to find one of our prospects that dominated the CHL from either a goals or points perspective.

Reactions: kovazub94

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The odds are heavily stacked against him because of size but it would be nice if Ronning can turn into a 50 point PP threat. The Rangers are just about due for one. From my understanding he's a much better skater than Dawes or St. Croix which is going to help him tremendously. He looked very good at TC regardless of offensive output. He was able to keep up with the plays and dominate.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The truth is that Ronning looked good in his limited AHL tryout.

While you always have to be careful with overage players, because some guys look like totally different players thanks to that extra year, I think he has a shot as a pro.

The offense is coming along very well this year, but it was actually the other elements of his game - namely is awareness and hustle, that made him a possibility. If he can add a little offense to the mix, it only stands to help his chances.

Another kid I have my eye on is Dawson Leedahl. Obviously he's not the most skilled player in the world, but he has a good understanding of what type of player he'll need to be if he wants to make it as a pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How does Ronning's game compare to Cam Atkinson or Victor Arvidsson?

I gotta be honest with you, coming into this season Ronning reminded me quite a bit of Fast. If you would've asked me what kind of future role he might be able to fill, that's the one I would've picked.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeetchisGod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->