Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It looks a lot like Minny is playing 3 lines and Nanne's third unit is riding the bench.

A very nice prospect who dropped from a 2nd round projetion that NYR traded down not to select in the 4th round, Reedy, is playing right wing on the second unit.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Revision* it looks like, while Nanne started that game at RW, Minnesota shifted him back to RD on the third pairing. Not sure if it was tactical or an injury to a blueliner.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Probably earns him a permanent staple on the bench.
Yeah, as long as the other guy continues to play really well that's pretty much gonna be it for Wall. Pulled from three of his six starts. Just hope he can win the job back next season.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Stop yourself the guy cannot skate he’s worked on it lovely but he still cannot skate if he could he’d be a big time prospect he can’t pivot stop and go nothing. He’s abusing juniors because of his size. But he still cannot skate.

You're wrong, as usual... Gettinger is a good skater for his size.

Reactions: Miamipuck

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Stats 18 year olds playing in SEL

34 games 10-8-18 Sundin
42 games 9-10-19 Lias (last season)
39 games 9-19-28 P. Forsberg
49 games 12-22-34 H. Sedin
50 game 21-21-42 D. Sedin
46 games 10-16-26 N. Backstrom
26 games 5-8-13 Zibs
47 games 5-2-7 Hornqvist
48 games 11-19-30 E. Lindholm
16 games 3-1-4 Silfverberg 48 games 8-8-16 as a 19 y.o.
49 game 7-5-12 Arvidsson as a 19 y.o.
50 games 16-5-21 Wennberg as a 19 y.o.

Guys like Backlund, & Berglund weren't even good enough to play in the SEL - they played in Swe-1
Zetterberg didn't start in SEL until he was the age of 20, Franzen at like 21 - was like 25 when he finally came over.
Filip Forsberg and William Nylander tore it up in juniors so much they pretty much started in the NHL right away before having a chance to play in the SEL

I think a good modern day comparison (just looking at stats since I have no video) is N.Backstrom went 40 points in 45 games in his 19 y.o. season. Lias in on pace for about just 28 points in 45 games. Better than many but obviously not at the top levels. It really is about how they grow and develop because Arvidsson and Wennberg both turned into outstanding players.

Good post overall, but one thing... Just because someone plays in Allsvenskan doesn't mean they're not good enough for SHL.. The way the system works in Sweden is different then in NA, the clubs in Allsvenskan aren't feeder clubs to the SHL teams, it's not a closed league system. Berglund, Backlund and Forsberg played in Allsvenskan because they had contracts with their home town teams where they came through the system, not because they weren't good enough for SHL.

Nobody is saying he did. Kovalev is just taking things out of context. Look at Tobbe's initial comment.

Yeah, this... All i said is that Kovalev as usual is wrong, Gettinger isn't a bad skater. He's not abusing kids or dominating but he's having a good season. He's playing a shutdown role for SSM taking the tough matchups and killing penalties while still scoring at a decent pace and generating shots at a good pace.

Reactions: eco's bones

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Good post overall, but one thing... Just because someone plays in Allsvenskan doesn't mean they're not good enough for SHL.. The way the system works in Sweden is different then in NA, the clubs in Allsvenskan aren't feeder clubs to the SHL teams, it's not a closed league system. Berglund, Backlund and Forsberg played in Allsvenskan because they had contracts with their home town teams where they came through the system, not because they weren't good enough for SHL.

Thanks for the clarification, I was not sure exactly what SWE-1 was.
And just to be thorough, these are the numbers on the 3 Allsvenskan players mentioned in the 18 y.o. seasons.

Patrick Berglund 21-27-48 in 35 games (currently 3rd line center for STL) 3 pts in 6 games
Mikael Backlund 9-4-13 in 37 games (currently 2nd line center for CAL) 19 pts in 30 games
Filip Forsberg 15-18-33 in 38 games (currently on the 3rd line in NSH (!)) despite having 29 pts in 29 games

I mention what lines they are on simply to further illustrate that it's difficult to project how well those players can do. Like could Berglund be more productive with more ice time ? He's behind Stastny and Schenn on their center depth chart and I think has been injured for the beginning of the season.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Thanks for the clarification, I was not sure exactly what SWE-1 was.
And just to be thorough, these are the numbers on the 3 Allsvenskan players mentioned in the 18 y.o. seasons.

Patrick Berglund 21-27-48 in 35 games (currently 3rd line center for STL) 3 pts in 6 games
Mikael Backlund 9-4-13 in 37 games (currently 2nd line center for CAL) 19 pts in 30 games
Filip Forsberg 15-18-33 in 38 games (currently on the 3rd line in NSH (!)) despite having 29 pts in 29 games

I mention what lines they are on simply to further illustrate that it's difficult to project how well those players can do. Like could Berglund be more productive with more ice time ? He's behind Stastny and Schenn on their center depth chart and I think has been injured for the beginning of the season.

To be fair, the MMM line in Calgary is maybe not their 1st line, but it's their best line. It dominates the tough matchups and they score quite a bit too.

Also, Filip Forsberg is only on Preds "3rd" line because they want to spread their talent, he's their best F along with Johansen. In the same way Zuccarello is on our 3rd line, they're only there because their coach wants to run an even top 9.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ronning has slowed down a bit in his shot generation though which is understandable but still, was up close to 6 SOG/GP earlier, now he's down to ~5.3 SOG/GP, which is still very good don't get me wrong.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To be fair, the MMM line in Calgary is maybe not their 1st line, but it's their best line. It dominates the tough matchups and they score quite a bit too.

Also, Filip Forsberg is only on Preds "3rd" line because they want to spread their talent, he's their best F along with Johansen. In the same way Zuccarello is on our 3rd line, they're only there because their coach wants to run an even top 9.

Yeah, it haven’t been relevant to talk about 1/2/3 line in like 20 years. All shifts count the same. Forsberg is 3rd in ice time among forwards for Nashville and only 26 sec behind their top guy. Still you will see people cringe because a coach puts a player on a “2nd line” and not a “3rd line where he belongs”...

Reactions: eco's bones

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Question, I'm concerned because Ronning is an overager and someone posted that those guys have little NHL success. Thoughts?

I mean yes, he's an overager so his stats should be looked at with a grain of salt... But he did have a solid stint in Hartford last spring and his shot generation is right at the top in the entire CHL, there are good signs that his game will translate.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Question, I'm concerned because Ronning is an overager and someone posted that those guys have little NHL success. Thoughts?

Response, not entirely accurate, but frequently correct. Most overagers end up being rather bigger than their contemporaries, which undoubtedly plays a role in their better numbers. Also, as ManUtdTobbe says, he's an elite shot producer this season, which tends to translate to the NHL/AHL (albeit in lesser quantities due to better competition)

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Snow- In the end, I think all kids have little success in the NHL. You need to be good enough to make it to the NHL. There are no set paths to get there. When Alfie was 18 he was 0+0 in Swe-3. 12+8 in 32 games when hew as 19-20 in Swe-3. 1+5 in the SHL when he was 21-22. And so forth. Johan Franzen played 4-5rd tier hockey for a long time.

If we look at a age group, say a player born in 97', how many kids born in 97' from Canada playing in the CHL becomes good NHLers? Its very very few.

I like Ronning, but it won't be entirely easy for him to make it. I think unfortunately he is a bit too much of a stick to the ice going back and forth into the crease type of player. Its preferable if these guys are more set-up types. But Ronnning is a good two way player still and can definitely pass the puck too, but he is more of a scorer than set-up player. I think a perfect comparison is Jonathan Audy-Marchessault. He played 4 years in the Q as an over-ager. Just over PPG his 3rd year and got great stats his 4th year. 5'8. RHS. We signed him after a camp invite to an AHL deal. Scored 30 goals in the NHL last season. In the end, him scoring a ton doesn't mean anything. He being an overager don't mean much either to be quite honest. Can he become one of very few that becomes good enough? I think he at least somehow can contend for it. Then he must -- like JAM -- string together 2-3 very developing years in the AHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Good post overall, but one thing... Just because someone plays in Allsvenskan doesn't mean they're not good enough for SHL.. The way the system works in Sweden is different then in NA, the clubs in Allsvenskan aren't feeder clubs to the SHL teams, it's not a closed league system. Berglund, Backlund and Forsberg played in Allsvenskan because they had contracts with their home town teams where they came through the system, not because they weren't good enough for SHL

It's completely different, indeed. It is promotion/relegation in Europe. However, NHL teams can sign them to ELCs and then loan them to other teams in Sweden if they want to.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Being an overager is kind of like being an ECHL player: you aren't good enough to make the AHL at the age when almost all the legit prospects do. For smallish players, it may be (a little) more excusable because the team may feel he's not ready physically, not due to his skills.

The reason overagers got such a bad rep is that they tend to get excessive hype. Prospects at this age improve a lot year by year, so being 1-4 years older than 95% of the league leads to them being better than their opposition and everyone gets all excited about their 80-90 point seasons. This performance is amazing in the pre-draft season, but it's meh for an overager, who's is 3 years older. However, Ronning is clearly the driver on the team. He has almost as many goals as the second-best guy has points. His game is not exactly like Callahan's, but he's got a motor and a knack for converting scoring opportunities at higher rates than others. At the Junior level, the number of goals is a better predictor of success (for forwards) than the number of points.

Despite the fact that I would normally crap all over an overager on pace for 97 points (over 72 games), based on what I saw in preseason games, his stats, and the stats of his linemates (aka he's definitely the driver), I am reasonably hopeful with Ronning. If he can gain 15-20 pounds (he's listed at 170-172 lbs everywhere), he'd be a legit NHL prospect.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Beacon- Yeah I agree. And it’s really a process. Developing a kid can be looked at like a scale from 1 to hundred where the kid needs to go from wherever he starts off at to at least 70-80 to get to the NHL and up towards 90-95 to become a star.

On that scale you draft some players at 60-70 and some players at 1-20. To get to the NHL you must go through all those steps. Very few make it. There are many signs of kids looking good, many of those signs are misleading. But OTOH there are no wrong ways to become good enough. I was looking at the Benn brother in MTLs career to date, he was all over the place, struggling ECHLer. Now he is in the NHL. It’s about becoming good enough.

Can Ronning become good enough? Then he will play. I definitely think he made the righ decision staying in the WHL though. Finish on a high note there, try to call me in to the AHL and make a mark instantly. Then it’s just about getting into insane shape. Work extremely hard on the ice and put in time.

Reactions: belford222

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I just watched whatever videos are available online on Gettinger and unfortunately I'm not impressed despite most of them being highlights that should make him look better than than watching full games.

On the up side, he can see the ice very well when he has the puck and his shot is deceptively good with a quick release and excellent accuracy. However, his skating is bad. People think he's only a bit worse than other Junior players, but he's big, so it's good for a big guy. This is wrong. The average Juniors player will in their prime be lower-end ECHLer. Many will play in semi-pro leagues like the FHL and SPHL or will just not play hockey after 20. Being worse than them is not a good sign, regardless of size. When watching him, I imagine what would happen if he were surrounded by AHLers and he'd be humiliated.

Despite being the team captain, Gettinger is playing mostly on the second line. The first line has 2 absolute beasts and as a result SSM is the best team in the Juniors right now. They won their last 16 games, including just beating the second-best OHL team (and the third best Junior team). Timmay, therefore, gets easier opponents. At times he can skate around them with the puck, but if he ever tries to pull that in the AHL, he'll get undressed in milliseconds.

The biggest problem with him is that he just stands there watching the game when he doesn't have the puck. It's almost comical. Someone should charge him for a ticket because most of the time he's watching the game, not participating in it. This is true even when he's just behind the opponent on a breakaway. He just lets him skate in on the goalie instead of chasing and harassing.

Gettinger also does not use his size. Instead of driving to the net to screen the goal when he doesn't have the puck, he's chilling somewhere near the blue because, hey, watching hockey from 20 feet away is fun! Even when he does pretend to screen the goalie (usually on the PP), he doesn't stick his ass in the goalie's face and tries to annoy the goalie while blocking his view the way Kreider does. Instead, Timmay just kind of stands there. Unless Gettinger's tshirt stinks, the goalie is completely not bothered by him. I did not see one play where he used his size to his advantage. No big hits, no driving with the puck THROUGH the opponent, no manhandling an opponent when Timmay is defending 1-on-1, no garbage goals, no physical plays when fishing for pucks in corners against a plucky opponent.

The combination of poor skating, not using his size and awful away-from-the-puck play leads me to believe he'll be either an overager or more likely (because he's big) an ECHLer next year. His shot and vision will lead to him scoring decently well in the ECHL, but he'll be lost in the AHL if he's ever called up there.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I just watched whatever videos are available online on Gettinger and unfortunately I'm not impressed despite most of them being highlights that should make him look better than than watching full games...............

Gettinger is definitely a decent skater for his size, there's still work to be done but he's not a bad skater. Skating is also just one part of the game, being a worse skater then someone who won't make the ECHL doesn't mean ur a worse player then them. Gettinger is a very well rounder player, does that mean he's definitely making it? ofcourse not, but he's trending in the right direction.

"Despite being the team captain, Gettinger is playing mostly on the second line. The first line has 2 absolute beasts and as a result SSM is the best team in the Juniors right now. They won their last 16 games, including just beating the second-best OHL team (and the third best Junior team). Timmay, therefore, gets easier opponents."

This part isn't really true... Yes, he's on the 2nd line, but it's their matchup line, he plays with Verbeek and gets matched against the opponents best lines to give space to the Katchouk line. Gettinger is a good defensive player, atleast for the OHL, hopefully that translates aswell.

I do agree that he needs to use his size better though...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean if Getting works out, he'll be a lunchpail 4th liner. He, like many of our other guys, will probably top out as good AHL guys. That's still useful to draft, and I'm not saying Gettinger was a bad pick. I wanted Jesper Bratt because of the Kovacs connection and Alex Nunn posted videos of him all of the time

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Gettinger has higher upside then a 4th liner imo if he puts it all together and his skating keeps improving.

It's obviously still a longshot that he makes the NHL at all, but he's got upside... That frame with that release along with some pretty decent hands and hockey IQ, there's upside.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The size combined with a lot of these scouting reports makes it sound like Gettinger is Brian Boyle playing in juniors rather than college.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hard to say with Ronning until we see how he does in the AHL next season. I wouldn't rule him out yet, like you should do with most players who go back for an overager season, he's done whats needed to maintain prospect status, but I don't think he could do anything more in that league that could make him better than retaining prospect status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad