Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #5

Who is our #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
D Anthony DeAngelo won round 4. D Sean Day is added to the poll.

WHO IS A PROSPECT:

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here.

Please vote on who to add to the next round of polling.

Anthony DeAngelo

Defense -- shoots R
Born Oct 24 1995 -- Sewell, NJ
Height 5.11 -- Weight 181 [180 cm/82 kg]
Drafted by Tampa Bay Lightning
- round 1 #19 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft

2017-18Hartford Wolf PackAHL25 GP2111317 PIM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TOP PROSPECTS

1. G Igor Shesterkin
2. C Lias Andersson
3. C Filip Chytil

SECOND TIER

4. D Anthony DeAngelo

AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED

GOALIES

G Brandon Halverson
G Chris Nell
G Igor Shesterkin
G Tyler Wall

DEFENSEMEN

D Alexei Bereglazov
D Brandon Crawley
D Calle Sjalin
D John Gilmour
D Ryan Graves
D Sergey Zborovskiy
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie

FORWARDS

C Adam Tambellini
RW Daniel Bernhardt
LW Dawson Leedahl
C Dominik Lakatos
C Gabriel Fontaine
C Morgan Barron
RW Nicklas Jensen
C Patrik Virta
LW Ryan Gropp
C Steven Fogarty
LW Tim Gettinger
RW Ty Ronning
RW Tyler Nanne

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Graves. He is high risk, but has amazing tools: 6-5 225 with 104 mph and good skating. A bit slow thinking on the ice and not aggressive enough for his size, but both of these could possibly be fixed. He could be a career minor leaguer or a very good top-4 defenseman.

Add Ronning.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Nieves, add Gilmour. Could somebody explain to me why Gilmour isn't getting more love? I only have these boards and statistics/scouting reports to go by, but I see enough in that to erase his terrible rookie season. The lone all-star from the team and it seems to be that he has figured out how to translate to the professional game effectively.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Could somebody explain to me why Gilmour isn't getting more love?.

Because he'll turn 25 this Spring. How much more progress could he be expected to make? Also, he had a solid half a season, but was terrible last year. Sure it could be adjustment to the pros, but either way, it's a concern that he has not even gotten a cup of coffee in the NHL yet.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Room for growth vs. already "realized" milestones.

Nieves is already in the NHL and should stick around but is there really anything beyond 4C? Lettieri is more or less the same.

From upside perspective, Day could be an offensive top4 but with a significant amount of risk of failure. Pionk could be two-way top4 as well. To me if Graves has a top4 potential it will be as a defensive D.

Huska could be a starting goalie but with goalies there's always significant risk.

No clear cut options. Went with Huska.

Add Ronning.

Is Jensen a long shot to come back?

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Graves, add Barron. I'm surprised Barron isn't getting more consideration. He has size, skates well, and has scored more points per game than Casey Mittelstadt in the NCAA this year. He's barely 19 and is less than a year out of an underdeveloped league, so he's probably in the steepest part of his development curve of any of the remaining prospects. Based on his combination of production and youth, it seems to me like he might have the best chance of being more than a 4th line / bottom pairing type player of any of our remaining prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lays

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Went with Graves based on potential, but I've been disappointed by his lack of taking the next step this season.

I don't see him as a top four guy. Right now I'd say it's a bit of a crossroads as to whether he becomes a third pairing defenseman, or a 7th defenseman/bounce back and forth type.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Nieves is at minimum a good 4C rn. Not sure anyone else has higher upside and certainly no one has 'proven' more.

I'd say add Wall.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
went with lettieri. hes already cracked the nhl lineup and seems to be capable of being a volume shooter in a limited roll.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Lettieri for me - haven't seen enough of him, but I think the chance of "something clicking" and him becoming a bigger deal is higher than anyone else.

Add Barron, I guess for the same reason really.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Went Lettieri, think he has the best chance of being some form of impact player - AKA not a bottom pairing D guy or 4th liner.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
DeAngelo should be in the first tier. He’s def closer to that than the 2nd tier of guys to follow.

Reactions: Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
DeAngelo should be in the first tier. He’s def closer to that than the 2nd tier of guys to follow.
He’s so underrated due to his attitude
His defensive play isn’t as bad as people think it is and he’s lethal offensively. (His stats in the AHL don’t tell the full story) he’s NHL ready imo for a bottom pairing/PP2 role

Barron and Ronning need to be added, I’m personally very high on Barron. Dude has everything you want in a player. Great size(6’3 210 iirc), skating, offensive play (I don’t know much about his 2 way game though although I have seen him referred to as a 2 way C.) 13 points in 15 games is seriously good as a freshman in the NCAA. It’s not luck either, he has legitimately created plays by himself he’s not a passenger. Lists Kreider as a player he enjoys watching as well so that’s nice to hear

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'd say add Wall.

With so many great choice all around, no reason to add Wall for many picks to come given the disaster of a season he's had so far. Ronning, Barron, Gilmour, even Virta are having very strong seasons. Pedrie is having a solid season. Leedahl forced his way out of the ECHL into the AHL by killing it in the Swamp. Crawley stuck in the AHL as a 20 year old despite having a lot of competition on defense. Lakatos is a second line player in the Czech league as a 20 year old. Who knows, maybe Bereglazov returns to the NHL like MZA did after he went to Europe.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Went with Nieves; who has proven more than Lettieri.

Add Ronning who is have a great year

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Nieves has also proven more than Andersson. This is about who the best prospect is

Are their ceilings that different? Nieves has some offense to him. He doesn't shoot as much and won't touch a PP unit but he's got other tools that Lettieri doesn't... kills penalties, plays the more important position, has the size, I'd even give him the edge in foot speed.

I can see either, but I think Nieves gets a lot of undo criticism for following a trajectory most people saw from the beginning. He's a 2nd round pick from six years ago without top 6 upside... I can understand the underwhelmed feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad