Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #15

Who is our #15 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
C Patrick Virta won round 13. D Sergey Zborovskiy is added to the poll.

WHO IS A PROSPECT:

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here.

Please vote on who to add to the next round of polling.

Patrick Virta
Left Wing -- shoots R
Born Mar 6 1996 -- Hameenlinna, Finland
Height 5.10 -- Weight 176

2017-18TPS TurkuSM-liiga42GP9192810PIM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PROSPECT RANKINGS

1. G Igor Shesterkin
2. C Lias Andersson
3. C Filip Chytil
4. D Anthony DeAngelo
5. RW Vinni Lettieri
6. D Ryan Graves
7. C/LW Boo Nieves
8. D Neal Pionk
9. D Sean Day
10. RW Ty Ronning
11. C Morgan Barron
12. D Alexei Bereglazov
13. G Adam Huska
14. C Patrick Virta

AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED

GOALIES

G Alexandar Georgiev
G Brandon Halverson
G Chris Nell
G Tyler Wall

DEFENSEMEN

D John Gilmour
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie

FORWARDS

C Adam Tambellini
RW Daniel Bernhardt
LW Dawson Leedahl
C Dominik Lakatos
RW Nicklas Jensen
C Steven Fogarty
RW Tyler Nanne

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If a single NHL regular emerges from #12 onward, I'll consider it a success.

Fontaine probably has the best shot of those remaining, but it's a low ceiling. I guess I'll take him.

Add Gilmour.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If a single NHL regular emerges from #12 onward, I'll consider it a success.

Seems a bit early to give up on all our 2017 draftees outside of the first round. I'd also wait to give up on Georgiev who is not yet 22 and was arguably the best goalie in the Finnish first-tier league last year. Not a great AHL season so far, but goalies take longer to develop. Talbot was a backup in Hartford at the age of 23 and 24.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Add Leedahl. 6 points in his first 21 games in the AHL. Kid hits, fights, plays a solid overall game. I think he is underrated

I saw him in Everett 2 years ago and he was very noticeable despite not being an extremely gifted player. He is a lot like Callahan.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Leedahl is the same age as Gropp and almost the same size. Had nearly identical stats in the SHL last season and a similar number of points per game this year. Less of a passenger, less useless without the puck, more physical. Just not as not hype in the past.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Leedahl is the same age as Gropp and almost the same size. Had nearly identical stats in the SHL last season and a similar number of points per game this year. Less of a passenger, less useless without the puck, more physical. Just not as not hype in the past.

You mean WHL, right? Leedahl was playing with Steel in Regina and a lot of people say that's the only reason his stats look inflated for that season compared to his previous years in Everett.

However, it should also be taken into account that in Everett, they played an extremely defensive system. Leedahl is a very good player in his own zone.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
My phone does crazy auto-correct. I typed WHL, but because last time it was SHL, it changed it. Yeah, I meant the WHL.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I still vote for Sjalin ...

Can you explain to me the Uncle Joe vote? He was drafted a full round after Crawley just half a year ago, Crawley made the AHL, Uncle Joe is in Allsvenskan. True, he's 2 years younger, but what specifically he did to move up ahead of Crawley, among others?

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Can you explain to me the Uncle Joe vote? He was drafted a full round after Crawley just half a year ago, Crawley made the AHL, Uncle Joe is in Allsvenskan. True, he's 2 years younger, but what specifically he did to move up ahead of Crawley, among others?

I just think the value of guys like Fontaine or Nieves where your upside is a 4th line player is really minimal. Every offseason it seems like there are dozens of 4th line caliber players who sign at or near the league minimum. So I don't see the value of having a salary controlled 4th line player when the ones who aren't salary controlled basically sign for the league minimum anyway.

I don't think Sjalin is some fantastic prospect, but between the fact that he's still just 18 and he's played well at international tournaments, I can at least find some reason to hope that he could end being more than a 4th line / bottom pair guy. Personally, I think guys like that are more valuable than prospects whose upside is being a 4th line player, even if it's less likely they make it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I just think the value of guys like Fontaine or Nieves where your upside is a 4th line player is really minimal. Every offseason it seems like there are dozens of 4th line caliber players who sign at or near the league minimum. So I don't see the value of having a salary controlled 4th line player when the ones who aren't salary controlled basically sign for the league minimum anyway.

I don't think Sjalin is some fantastic prospect, but between the fact that he's still just 18 and he's played well at international tournaments, I can at least find some reason to hope that he could end being more than a 4th line / bottom pair guy. Personally, I think guys like that are more valuable than prospects whose upside is being a 4th line player, even if it's less likely they make it.

Ok, then why not Crawley who went a round early just recently and has some potential to be a useful defenseman?

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017

Ok, then why not Crawley who went a round early just recently and has some potential to be a useful defenseman?

My vote is about the potential of Sjalin. Sjalin is very similar to Crawley but he is younger. The same height. Crawley made the AHL at the age of 20. When he was 18 he was in OHL (London Knihgts). IMO I do not think Crawley will be the top defender but Sjalin could be. Crawley could be useful, very good defenceman.. And you mentioned that Crawley was drafted a full round earlier... Pavel Brendl was drafted as 4OA, Henrik Zetterberg 210OA .. seven rounds after Brendl.. I know this is an extreme example, but the order in the draft almost mean nothing.

Exactly

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Själin, saw a lot of him with Sweden J18 last season and i am a big fan of his game, had him as a mid round target for NYR in the draft and we got him! :)

Add Gilmour

Comparing Själin to Crawley has it's flaws, Crawley was a double (triple?) overager while Själin was one of the youngest players drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->