Confirmed with Link: Rangers Name Brian Leetch and Brad Richards Hockey Operations Advisors

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Nice to have Leetch back in the fold. Beaver is okay too.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
AV didn't hire them...

Nothing wrong with this, look how well Drury has worked out.

Drury is old as well. Darn AV. Couldn't we have hired my paper boy? He is in to hockey, got a B+ in math class, and he is only 13, so he has a good 8 years to be in his prime. :)

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I don't see why / how these moves could be controversial; they were both great players. What functions will they serve? How would they affect the team in the short-term and the long-term? I'm not very familiar with the Hockey Operations Advisor role.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I'm trying to figure out if this is a shaking hands / kissing babies position or if it's a real hockey operations position. If it's the latter, how are they going to be helping from an operations standpoint?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Isn't Richards pretty connected? Weren't people around here singing his praises for being a smart hockey guy who knows a lot of people?

I imagine it's good for scouting types of purposes and luring FA's (college or otherwise)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Isn't Richards pretty connected? Weren't people around here singing his praises for being a smart hockey guy who knows a lot of people?

I imagine it's good for scouting types of purposes and luring FA's (college or otherwise)

Came here to post exactly this. In addition to being good hockey minds, these are two guys who have deep connections in the hockey community. They should both be excellent assets when it comes to recruiting (Drury as well). I'm not always a fan of the "Good Ol' Boys Network," but I think these moves makes sense as long as the players are competent enough to actually scout and help develop players.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't see why / how these moves could be controversial; they were both great players. What functions will they serve? How would they affect the team in the short-term and the long-term? I'm not very familiar with the Hockey Operations Advisor role.

Here you go:

Leetch and Richards will work on prospect development and assist with on-ice development for the Rangers and their top affiliate, the American Hockey League's Hartford Wolf Pack.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...etch-brad-richards-hockey-operations-advisers

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

He is very smart and well respected. The guy has done a ton off the ice and never asked for any recognition.

I like Richie.

Leetch too of course.

Glad to see the brass building a brain trust.

You see how well that is working out in TOR... every team with the firepower to do so, should follow suit.

LA is doing it too.

Builds a winning culture. You need leaders like that these days, some of the 90s babies aren't your alpha males of yore. They need the leadership that these guys bring to the table.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Builds a winning culture. You need leaders like that these days, some of the 90s babies aren't your alpha males of yore. They need the leadership that these guys bring to the table.

Agree on everything except that last bit. People are pretty much still people even though we like to say "those damn young kids are no good slackers and too sensitive"

I mean, these guys (Richards and Leetch) are technically the Gen X age range and that generation was defined as slackers and unambitious, didn't want to grow up, etc.

Basically I'm saying pretty much every generation is looked down upon as "weaker" in some way by the previous generations but for the most part it's just older people watching kids grow up in a world that's different from the one they grew up in and spinning the behaviors they see.

The need for leaders and winning culture and all that kind of stuff has always existed in sports to some degree or another.

edit: in sports, we also remember the big names and the guys who stood out for their accomplishments and leadership, we don't remember all the guys that may have played at the same time that didn't quite have the drive or the desire or the leadership we associate with the older generations of players.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Richards wants to learn the business. He's made his money as a player and had an almost HOF career. Perfect place to do it.

More minds is never a bad thing. Remember, Richards himself wasn't a first round pick so he knows the journey to the NHL a little more than the average joe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad