Larry Brooks: Rangers must target Ilya Kovalchuk

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So it's unacceptable when a good player does it, but when a washed up player does the same, it's okay?

It isn't that simple and you know it. One was a point a game player in his prime who was the cornerstone of the franchise and, now, FIVE years later could still play for any team in the NHL. Not easy for a franchise to replace that but the demand put the Devils in a really dubious position and impacted their organization for years afterwards.

And, FWIW, I don't care that he did it. That the Devils did it. That Naslund did it. That Klein did it. I don't have a problem with early retirement if both sides are good with it. However:

All caps for impact:

I DON'T WANT A 35+ CONTRACT FOR THE NYR FOR A GUY THAT MIGHT BOLT FOR THE KHL AGAIN AND LEAVE US TWISTING IN THE WIND WITH THAT CONTRACT.

Kovalchuk can do whatever the f*** he wants to do. I want no part of it on the team I root for.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It isn't that simple and you know it. One was a point a game player in his prime who was the cornerstone of the franchise and, now, FIVE years later could still play for any team in the NHL. Not easy for a franchise to replace that but the demand put the Devils in a really dubious position and impacted their organization for years afterwards.

And, FWIW, I don't care that he did it. That the Devils did it. That Naslund did it. That Klein did it. I don't have a problem with early retirement if both sides are good with it. However:

All caps for impact:

I DON'T WANT A 35+ CONTRACT FOR THE NYR FOR A GUY THAT MIGHT BOLT FOR THE KHL AGAIN AND LEAVE US TWISTING IN THE WIND WITH THAT CONTRACT.

Kovalchuk can do whatever the **** he wants to do. I want no part of it on the team I root for.

You sir have no idea how hard it is to move 500 pounds of langonstino lobster rolls on a game by game basis.

Reactions: Synergy27

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't give a **** what he did to the Devils. If he signs a 3 year deal with the NYR and decides after a year that it's back to mother Russia we have to eat that 35+ contract for the next two years.

Did I really have to explain that? Like I give a rat's ass about the Devils. Come on.
If he bolts, they have a dead cap hit with no actual dollar commitment involved. Not that hard to find a team that doesn't mind taking that on. Look at the Datsyuk trade. Datsyuk and the 16th pick for the 20th pick and a 2nd rounder. Take Datsyuk out and it's still a completely plausible trade.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Good, If Kovy really wants to win, then he should sign for 1 million in Tampa Bay.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If he bolts, they have a dead cap hit with no actual dollar commitment involved. Not that hard to find a team that doesn't mind taking that on. Look at the Datsyuk trade. Datsyuk and the 16th pick for the 20th pick and a 2nd rounder. Take Datsyuk out and it's still a completely plausible trade.

Arizona made a brain dead deal. There's no reason to expect that again or pencil it into your plans when you sign Kovalchuk to a multi-year deal. I get why people want him. I don't.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Arizona made a brain dead deal. There's no reason to expect that again or pencil it into your plans when you sign Kovalchuk to a multi-year deal. I get why people want him. I don't.
Describe the downside for Arizona in detail.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't give a **** what he did to the Devils. If he signs a 3 year deal with the NYR and decides after a year that it's back to mother Russia we have to eat that 35+ contract for the next two years.

Did I really have to explain that? Like I give a rat's ass about the Devils. Come on.

He won't do the same to us. We're a relevant franchise and can afford to pay him.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Describe the downside for Arizona in detail.

A 16th for a 20th and a 53rd? I'll take the 20th and 53rd every time.
Artificially getting to the cap floor hasn't helped the Coyotes. They never contend. There's also no reason to assume that this type of deal will be available if/when Kovalchuk decides to bolt again.

Not a risk I take - especially given the current state of the team and its "mission".

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He won't do the same to us. We're a relevant franchise and can afford to pay him.

This is more than likely chauvinism, but my belief is that Kovalchuk never really wanted to re-sign in NJ. He kept LA in the bidding as long as he could until it was obvious they couldn’t come near the Devil offer. Plus, I’d wager he was disappointed no big offer came from the Rangers.

Reactions: Machinehead

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, I would too. Doesn't that suggest that Arizona actually paid Detroit a slight premium for the privilege of taking on this dead contract?

Artificially getting to the cap floor hasn't helped the Coyotes. They never contend. There's also no reason to assume that this type of deal will be available if/when Kovalchuk decides to bolt again.

Not a risk I take - especially given the current state of the team and its "mission".
I'm quite certain there will be teams not spending near the cap in each of the next three seasons.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is probably the number 1 show I forget that I want to watch.

It comes up, I say to myself "OH Yea! Gotta watch that!" Then I forget until the next time someone brings it up. So one day I'll get this reference. Today is not that day

If you are misanthropic in any way, and can see through the facade of society for the straight up silliness that it really is, you will absolutely love Curb. I am jealous that you get to experience it for the first time!

Reactions: haveandare

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Why are we so afraid to try and compete next year? Why does this have to be a three-year proh-cess? The rebuild can be over tomorrow if we so choose. Looking at Kovalchuk is absolutely the right decision, obviously assuming his demands for term and AAV are reasonable.

More than happy to compete next year but don't want to hand out crippling contracts otherwise we are back to square one. Kovy on say 4 year deal north of 6 mill per is a crippling contract.

Reactions: bl02

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Arizona had Chychrun rated on their board in the top 5-6. If Keller wasn’t there, he would have likely been the seventh pick. They traded up for what they perceived as value. The Datsyuk piece was strictly bookkeeping so they could reach the cap floor.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Would love the opportunity to watch a legit sniper play for the Rangers. They’ve been so few and far between. Last one was Gaborik I guess and that didn’t last long. Who before that? Gartner? Actually it’s amazing how well the Rangers have scored without one over the years. All those muffins.

Reactions: Ori

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Well we know the contract length shouldn't be terrible and he supposedly wants to play here. We're probably looking at a reasonable deal... While this screams old school typical Rangers, I think Kovy is competitive enough to maintain being at least a 50+ point player even a few years from now. Plus seeing him play with Buch would be electrifying, as long as that bum AV gets the boot.

Likely low risk, high reward. Worst case scenario is the Rangers' rebuild takes longer than expected, but after Kovy's re-established in the NHL his big name alone will probably net us at least a 1st + a decent prospect at some future trade deadline so count me in.

Reactions: egelband

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
According to Stats : Players stats (leaders) : 17/18 | regular : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) , although he had less assist than Kovy, Nigel Dawes had 35 g/46 gp compared to Kovy's 31 g/ 53 gp.

We already know Nigel loves New York because he was randomly drafted by the Rangers in 2003.

At 2 years younger than Kovy, if we extrapolate based on expected results for Kovy next season, Nigel will net at least 50, which would be a steal if we sign him for only $4 mil / season until he is 39.

Also, Nigel is not in his early 20s, so that guarantees he would spend his time mentoring the young core and be very good at it.

And since Nigel has been playing in the KHL, he would make our Russian prospects comfortable as they transition to their new lives as young single in shape multi millionaires living in a city with a large and welcoming Russian population without worrying if AV's Russian bias will nix the deal since Nigel is Canadian born.

All I'm saying is I hope RangersTown™ considers this before they go all hog wild and accept they need to build a real contender over a 3-5 year period.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm quite certain there will be teams not spending near the cap in each of the next three seasons.

I understand your point. It's not a risk I take with a 35+ contract for a team that's supposedly rebuilding.

(Edit) I'd like to couple this with the thought: what if (likely) this guy can't play at the level he did five years ago and signs, let's say, a three year deal? Then your stuck with a guy who's a shadow of himself with a pretty much immovable contract unless he actually wants to retire. I get that he just won a gold medal against a bunch teams without NHL players but the whole scenario is just a huge pass for me. The Rangers don't need Kovalchuk.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->