Proposal: Rangers / Leafs

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Zucc brings elements that Jvr doesn't....has more Jam to his game! Honestly was not aware of the stat comparison...and Kappy has yet to prove anything really,so ,you or I can project that he will be better than Zucc, but again, how does he get the chance on Babs team. Will he take Jvr spot? Could be!
It's not about whether or not Kapanen will be as good or better than JVR/Zucc. It's about how it's horrible asset management to let player walk who produces as much or more than the player you're trading one of your best young pieces to acquire.
If a top line scorer is what the Leafs need, it would be so much smarter to just re-sign JVR and keep Kapanen.
Letting JVR walk and then trading Kapanen for Zucc would really make me question Lou's ability to do his job.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It's not about whether or not Kapanen will be as good or better than JVR/Zucc. It's about how it's horrible asset management to let player walk who produces as much or more than the player you're trading one of your best young pieces to acquire.
If a top line scorer is what the Leafs need, it would be so much smarter to just re-sign JVR and keep Kapanen.
Letting JVR walk and then trading Kapanen for Zucc would really make me question Lou's ability to do his job.
Do you think Jvr will produce at this level for many more years? If He is facing 3rd line competition and getting regular PP time, maybe he does. I don't think he has what it takes to be a 'first liner' is all! So, if he is gonna walk, then Kappy moves up one line?
If Kappy isn't gonna take Hyman or Marleaus job next year then I use him for getting Zucc, (if that is even possible) because he replaces Jvr who is likely gonna walk!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Do you think Jvr will produce at this level for many more years? If He is facing 3rd line competition and getting regular PP time, maybe he does. I don't think he has what it takes to be a 'first liner' is all! So, if he is gonna walk, then Kappy moves up one line?
If Kappy isn't gonna take Hyman or Marleaus job next year then I use him for getting Zucc, (if that is even possible) because he replaces Jvr who is likely gonna walk!
I honestly can't follow your thought processes/logic, so sure. You win.
Toronto should let JVR (28) walk and then trade Kapanen(21) for Zucc (30 years old) and then sign him for 6.5/7.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I honestly can't follow your thought processes/logic, so sure. You win.
Toronto should let JVR (28) walk and then trade Kapanen(21) for Zucc (30 years old) and then sign him for 6.5/7.
Well , I really wasn't trying to win anything! And yes , it was getting muddied,sorry.
I was obvious in my like for Zucc as a replacement for JVR . Thinking if Babs isn't gonna give Kappy the shot he deserves then get something for him. Thats all really.
It's not like I don't respect your views, its hockey,agreeing on any aspect can be difficult. Cheers 1

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well , I really wasn't trying to win anything! And yes , it was getting muddied,sorry.
I was obvious in my like for Zucc as a replacement for JVR . Thinking if Babs isn't gonna give Kappy the shot he deserves then get something for him. Thats all really.
It's not like I don't respect your views, its hockey,agreeing on any aspect can be difficult. Cheers 1
Fair enough. Apologies for getting frustrated.
Really, Kapanen is the hang-up for me.
I'd be fine if we let JVR walk and then next summer sign Zucc, it's just adding the valuable asset for what I consider a similar player (which we can have for only money) that hurts my sensibility. :laugh:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think guys like Kapanen and Johnsson are penciled in for larger roles next season. don't think trading either for older vet forwards is in the cards.

Reactions: Pi

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think guys like Kapanen and Johnsson are penciled in for larger roles next season. don't think trading either for older vet forwards is in the cards.
That would be great from a fan perspective. They are fun to watch,have some Jam and deserve larger offensive roles.
I don't want to see them held back like Leivo ,asking to be traded,unhappy,spot duty, etc. That said I think both bring more to the table than Leivo.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yup.
Cheap winger depth is what will allow the Leafs to keep their core and remain competitive.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Fair enough. Apologies for getting frustrated.
Really, Kapanen is the hang-up for me.
I'd be fine if we let JVR walk and then next summer sign Zucc, it's just adding the valuable asset for what I consider a similar player (which we can have for only money) that hurts my sensibility. :laugh:

Problem with that is Zuuc will not be available next summer, my guess is traded at the draft also Zuuc is more responsible defensively and could be had cheaper than JVR.

Jan 21, 2018

So apparently JVR is going to decline but that same logic doesn't apply to Zuccarello who is older.

Just stop while you're somewhat ahead, the leafs aren't going to let JVR walk and then trade assets for Zuccarello. Kapanen is a big reason why they can afford to let JVR walk, the leafs are betting using that cap space to upgrade their D.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Makes no sense for the Leafs because of age, contract and expected salary of Zucc.
Makes no sense for the Rangers because they could probably get more for him as a rental next spring.

Both teams say no.

Yes, Leafs can`t afford to pay his new contract - so no matter who they move it`s not worth it for the Leafs franchise for one year of Zucc, and Gorton will get more for rental next year near deadline. His new contract is more likely 5 mil + $, and he is worth it too in consider he won`t slow down that fast compare to other players in his age category due to his size and relative good speed. But most Rangers fans thinks he has regressed since he only had 53 pts, but the main reason was our injury situation and they moved some key players in D. Brassard & Stepan who played well with him. And Rangers good finishers like Kevin S. due to injury on our blueline + snipers role players in general which is lacking on this current Rangers team.

My brief point there are too many passers on the current Rangers team so Zucc is forced to finish plays both on PP and sometimes 5 v 5.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

nhlfan1991

Apr 14, 2014
No it isn't. It just started. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life
Matthews is gonna get 13 mill
Marner and Nylander are gonna get 9-10 mill
33million for 3 players. After these ELC contracts are done so are the leafs cup hopes

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
value is fine, but I think you're better off looking to get it from a team that's firmly in the "contend" period of their contention cycle. The Leafs can afford to wait to see if they have a Zuccarello level player in Kapanen with a lot more years of control and much more affordable. He's already getting breakaways all the time playing on the 4th line, could see him playing well over his head if he got time on one of the big lines because defenses will be occupied with Matthews/Nylander/Marner etc and he can streak for stretch passes

Matthews is gonna get 13 mill
Marner and Nylander are gonna get 9-10 mill
33million for 3 players. After these ELC contracts are done so are the leafs cup hopes

would think you're high on all 3, Matthews in the $10-11.5M range and Nylander/Marner under $7M. No reason that Matthews should get a lot more than inflation-adjusted Eichel and Nylander/Marner should get more than inflation-adjusted Pastrnak/Ehlers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think Zuccarello is signing for 7 years anywhere. So 6.5/7 doesn't seem likely at all.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Leafs core is 20-24... no need to ship one off for a guy that's 31 before he would play a game for us

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kap likely isn't available for anything other than a top pairing defender or a young middle 6 shutdown center.

Obviously he would be part of a much larger package for the top pairing defender.

If the Leafs traded a single asset for another winger I would be pissed. We have enough NHL quality wingers that they have been playing on the Marlies most of the year. Also have more coming in the pipeline.

Much rather keep Kap and wait for Grundstrom to add more grit.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
the only forward i would want from the rags is chris kreider honestly. hes like a younger simmonds.

Kevin Hayes is the only guy on the Rangers roster we'd have practical interest in and someone I'd move Kapanen for. I'd add, but nothing crazy.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs core is 20-24... no need to ship one off for a guy that's 31 before he would play a game for us

Problem isn't age, it's contract. Zuccarello will be a good player for another 3 years at least but he'll cost too much for a winger. We need to go cheaper.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If the Leafs trade for a winger this summer it will be for more of a scoring power forward type. No need for Zucc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->