Series Talk: Rangers/Craps (Game 1 is Sunday 4/21 @ 3pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Here. We. Go.

IMG_0363.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
In a decade-long career, Tom Wilson has four total playoff fights: Anders Lee in 2015, Wayne Simmonds in 2016, Braydon Coburn in 2018, and Anders Lee again in 2020. The Caps won every one of those series except for 2020 which was bizarro bubble hockey. Take that bet if you want but history does not back it up.
If Wilson takes himself out of the game, it won't be for fighting but rather for a hit on someone, and for which he probably won't answer the call by any Ranger let alone Rempe. Wilson is on your team, and you present this from a fighting perspective and thus you're skirting around the issue of Wison having always been borderline-dirty or outright dirty. I get it. I understand. Wilson is a Capital, and you're doing your best to defend him. It's not about Rempe vs Wilson. But Rempe will either deter or, should something happen, he'll take an I.O.U and, I'm sure in a smart way, like a hard hit on Oshie, for example. Does Wilson live rent free in our heads? You're damn right he does. But Rempe is working his way into people's heads likewise.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
If Wilson takes himself out of the game, it won't be for fighting but rather for a hit on someone, and for which he probably won't answer the call by any Ranger let alone Rempe. Wilson is on your team, and you present this from a fighting perspective and thus you're skirting around the issue of Wison having always been borderline-dirty or outright dirty. I get it. I understand. Wilson is a Capital, and you're doing your best to defend him. It's not about Rempe vs Wilson. But Rempe will either deter or, should something happen, he'll take an I.O.U and, I'm sure in a smart way, like a hard hit on Oshie, for example. Does Wilson live rent free in our heads? You're damn right he does. But Rempe is working his way into people's heads likewise.

My comment was only about the fighting prognostications. On the ice, Wilson will play his game and I'm sure Rempe will play his (should he be dressed). I personally don't really feel like Rempe will "keep Wilson in check" tbh but maybe we disagree there.

I'm not familiar enough with Rempe's game to know to what extent he'll be a deterrent or effective player compared to whomever would be scratched instead. I do think some of the Caps' younger guys are liable to getting pushed around though, specifically Lapierre, McMichael, and Iorio if he has to play. Oshie is also a bit fragile at this stage in his career. But being physical is something the Rangers should/will emphasize regardless of what Tom's up to.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
In 83 playoff games Wilson has taken 134 PIM. That is not a study in discipline. If the NYR target him, with clean hard hitting and some trash talk, he'll take bad penalties.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
To say like "we're playing with house money" and "there's been bigger upsets" is fine. But to deny that the Capitals winning would be a huge upset is absurd. It's happened before and we could argue about which upsets are worse than others, but it would be a massive upset.

You're right that it would be a big upset. I guess my point is in 25+ years of watching hockey, I've seen a lot of upsets (and been on the wrong end of several of them), so nothing would really shock me anymore (in general, not just this series).

Regardless, should be fun. I'm going to enjoy another week of hockey.

In 83 playoff games Wilson has taken 134 PIM. That is not a study in discipline. If the NYR target him, with clean hard hitting and some trash talk, he'll take bad penalties.

This is true... Wilson has a penchant for taking bad penalties. Thankfully our other major offender in this regard was jettisoned at the deadline (Kuznetsov).

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
We better not take this series lightly. I watched the capitals shut out the bruins the other night and they looked pretty damn good defensively. Carberry has got that team bought in to playing a really stingy system that doesn’t allow a lot of high danger scoring chances. If we win game 1 it will be over fast but if we lose it could be dicey.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We better not take this series lightly. I watched the capitals shut out the bruins the other night and they looked pretty damn good defensively. Carberry has got that team bought in to playing a really stingy system that doesn’t allow a lot of high danger scoring chances. If we win game 1 it will be over fast but if we lose it could be dicey.
I think everyone is saying the same thing - I don't see Caps winning this series - if they advance it will be because the Rangers lost it.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The bruins just lost to the Sens who the Rangers demolished the night before.

I wouldn’t really take a look at what these teams are doing and try to draw anything from it.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I don't understand this Wilson thing. Don't hit him, hit the caps dmen on every shift. I want them f***ing WORRIED about getting Rempe'd and rushing the play or manning up and getting f***ing smashed and having the MSG crowd go crazy. Do that and it f***s up the caps low event game plan. I don't care what the other team does, I want this Rangers lineup to play hard, play nasty and dish out some vicious hits. They've done it all year and now I want to see the amp turned up to 11.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My comment was only about the fighting prognostications. On the ice, Wilson will play his game and I'm sure Rempe will play his (should he be dressed). I personally don't really feel like Rempe will "keep Wilson in check" tbh but maybe we disagree there.

I'm not familiar enough with Rempe's game to know to what extent he'll be a deterrent or effective player compared to whomever would be scratched instead. I do think some of the Caps' younger guys are liable to getting pushed around though, specifically Lapierre, McMichael, and Iorio if he has to play. Oshie is also a bit fragile at this stage in his career. But being physical is something the Rangers should/will emphasize regardless of what Tom's up to.

IMO Trouba is gonna be out there looking to set the tone and while I hope he doesn't do something dumb and hurt someone, Caps players also gotta keep their heads up a bit.

Rempe is currently just trying to earn icetime and has toned down some of his hitting but holy crap the Caps players better be on their toes going back to retrieve the puck if he's on the ice. e: assuming he even starts and isn't a scratch.

At any rate, yeah...Rangers can't get bogged down in the defensive trap/shell game and start taking chances to "open it up". Lindgren sure as hell isn't unbeatable but the Rangers won't win if it's just trying to dance around and out talent the Caps. You gotta match the intensity level if you want your talent to matter

Reactions: CapsSkins

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
At a minimum I would play Rempe the first two games. If the difference between winning and losing in the first round comes down to playing him over Brod or vice versa, they were never winning the series. Washington stinks.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wilson knows his assignment and it's not to go out there and fight Matt Rempe. Tom Wilson will do whatever the f*** he wants regardless of whether or not Rempe is out there, on the bench, whatever. I mean christ, Rempe does whatever he wants regardless of who the other team has in their lineup; do we not understand yet that deterrence isn't really a thing?

You play Rempe if you think his energy and physicality will give you a boost. You don't play him because of Tom Wilson.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
You're right that it would be a big upset. I guess my point is in 25+ years of watching hockey, I've seen a lot of upsets (and been on the wrong end of several of them), so nothing would really shock me anymore (in general, not just this series).

Regardless, should be fun. I'm going to enjoy another week of hockey.
Honestly I’m with you lol. I don’t believe in upsets in the NHL anymore.

Inferior and even bad hockey teams beat better ones in the playoffs with such regularity in this league that they no longer shock me or elicit much response.

Even though we have a presidents trophy team playing one of the worst playoff teams of the salary cap era I still would put the rangers individual game win probability at like 60/40 because that’s how this stupid sport works lmao.

I’m not a doomer or anything either. I expect them to win but if they don’t it would not shock me at all. I’ve seen enough to know better.

Reactions: Ail and TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad