Series Talk: Rangers/Craps (Game 1 is Sunday 4/21 @ 3pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Here. We. Go.

IMG_0363.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Do some people think playing Rempe will stop Wilson from Wilsoning?
Wilson was a churchmouse when Reaves was in the lineup. Some players don't give a f***, Rempe hitting Seigenthaler with MacDermid right on the ice for instance, but Wilson has been known to dial it down when he could take a beating. You never know. But if Wilson takes a cheap run at someone, have Rempe do the same. That was the beauty of Joe Kocur. You ran his goalie? He'd run right over yours. And then back it up if anyone wanted any.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's not about punishment. If we have one bad period he's gonna go back to what he used all year. Every time he's tinkered this year, he goes back. He's the type of coach that decides what he's using and sticks with it Hell or high water.

Huh? Do you see Bonino in the lineup? Do you see Pitlick? If going back was as solid of a thing then we’d see Kakko back with Zibanejad when he recovered from an injury and Wheeler got injured.

Reactions: luiginb

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
We could only be so lucky if the Caps brought in Ryan Leonard lol. Really people?

He’s not some super prospect. He’s going to be a great NHLer but we would absolutely tear apart an 18 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericross26

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Some things that intrigue me about this series.

What does Ovechkin have left in his tank?

Do we see Lavi put in Jones if Gus or Trouba struggle?

Does Chytil play and if he does, does he make a positive impact?

I went to D.C to watch our boys play this team earlier in the season, and the Rangers played like ass. I think Foxie was the only ranger who played well that afternoon. Hopefully that was a learning experience for this series of how not to play this team.

LGR!
No way a relatively healthy Trouba gets scratched. Not going to happen. I can see Jones getting in for Gus at some point, or if Lindgren gets banged p.

Reactions: FUZfan

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That Boston team in 2013 was lightyears better than us. They had won a Cup with essentially the same group 2 years prior and Torts was playing Arron Asham, Taylor Pyatt and Michael Haley in our bottom 6. Im a Hank apologist but he was hardly the reason we lost.

They were and Hank also couldn't stop a beach ball.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
maybe already said it in here, I can't keep track, but Caps play for boring low event hockey and if they get decent goaltending from Lindgren it's effective. It's not unbeatable, the Rangers just have to play smart and make the most of their chances, but it's just gonna be an ugly frustrating series IMO even if they do win. Watching the Caps block a million shots and get some bullshit bounces is going to drive people crazy, but they're definitely not "good" and if their goaltending falters a bit they'll get run out of the building

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
maybe already said it in here, I can't keep track, but Caps play for boring low event hockey and if they get decent goaltending from Lindgren it's effective. It's not unbeatable, the Rangers just have to play smart and make the most of their chances, but it's just gonna be an ugly frustrating series IMO even if they do win. Watching the Caps block a million shots and get some bullshit bounces is going to drive people crazy, but they're definitely not "good" and if their goaltending falters a bit they'll get run out of the building
That's what worries me. The Rangers have a bad habit of botching a ton of great scoring chances. They may not get many in this series.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Huh? Do you see Bonino in the lineup? Do you see Pitlick? If going back was as solid of a thing then we’d see Kakko back with Zibanejad when he recovered from an injury and Wheeler got injured.
Bonino got waived so the coach would stop playing him.

Kakko was never permanently on that line. Wheeler played more minutes there despite the injury. Roslovic has played 45 fewer minutes there in 42 fewer games.

The spot next to Kreider and Zibanejad has rotated and the center between Cuylle and Kakko has rotated. All of the permanent changes in those spots were due to roster moves or injuries. Literally all of them.

Our lineup has been the same 95% of the season, not counting injuries.

Laviolette is not just over Miller-Trouba now after he used them as the top pair for every game they were healthy but one. I would be extremely unsurprised if he's back to the pair to start game 1.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's what worries me. The Rangers have a bad habit of botching a ton of great scoring chances. They may not get many in this series.
True, but they have also been good about scratching and clawing their way back when needed.

Their biggest issue in facing the Caps and Flyers of the league this season has been kinda playing down to them and not matching their intensity. I think that'll change in the playoffs...

I saw the Caps play low event hockey and part of that is they do a good job of that whole "outman the other team with a forecheck or defensive play along the boards when that's available and if not then back off". They'll quickly send two guys after the puck carrier if they can in order to pressure them and create a turnover, so puck support and movement will be key, as will getting to pucks quickly and making smart plays and not a bunch of "maybe" passes.

Play hard and fast and they should win. Lackadaisical and careless will get them a 1st round exit.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This is a series the Rangers should win in less than 5 games. Everyone on here saying "don't get cocky" as if a fan's confidence level matters lol. I'm not on the team, my attitude towards the series doesn't matter. The Rangers shouldn't get cocky, they need to take it 1 game at a time, 1 shift at a time etc. But as fans, we can look at this series and say, objectively, the Rangers should win this series in 4-5 games. The Caps are not on the same level as the Rangers. It shouldn't be a close series and if it is, it will be because the Caps executed a game plan and the NYR failed to adjust. Laviolette isn't Gallant. He'll adjust.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Bonino got waived so the coach would stop playing him.

Kakko was never permanently on that line. Wheeler played more minutes there despite the injury. Roslovic has played 45 fewer minutes there in 42 fewer games.

The spot next to Kreider and Zibanejad has rotated and the center between Cuylle and Kakko has rotated. All of the permanent changes in those spots were due to roster moves or injuries. Literally all of them.

Our lineup has been the same 95% of the season, not counting injuries.

Laviolette is not just over Miller-Trouba now after he used them as the top pair for every game they were healthy but one. I would be extremely unsurprised if he's back to the pair to start game 1.
We do approach things differently.

I try to withhold negative projections into the future until it happens or I see concrete evidence (there's an example below). I think it creates a better environment here. Even when (especially) Bonino and Pitlick were in everyday lineup, were performing poorly and overwhelming majority were saying that these two will never be removed from the lineup, I gave Laviolette (who's got SC and multiple trips to SCF) a benefit of a doubt and so expected that at some point it won't be the case because he saw the same thing we did... and it eventually happen.

Re. D - just like us he's seen Schneider - Miller doing well as a pair (and better than Trouba - Miller). It absolutely didn't surprise me that after returning from an injury he decided to give Trouba - Miller another chance and THEN switch back to Schneider - Miller. At this point we both would be guessing but my view is opposite of yours - I'd be a bit surprised (is this an equivalent of "extremely unsurprised" lol?) if he went back to Trouba - Miller contrary to concrete evidence that the team is better with Schneider - Miller and Trouba - Gustafsson.

Reactions: Machinehead

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
True, but they have also been good about scratching and clawing their way back when needed.

Their biggest issue in facing the Caps and Flyers of the league this season has been kinda playing down to them and not matching their intensity. I think that'll change in the playoffs...

I saw the Caps play low event hockey and part of that is they do a good job of that whole "outman the other team with a forecheck or defensive play along the boards when that's available and if not then back off". They'll quickly send two guys after the puck carrier if they can in order to pressure them and create a turnover, so puck support and movement will be key, as will getting to pucks quickly and making smart plays and not a bunch of "maybe" passes.

Play hard and fast and they should win. Lackadaisical and careless will get them a 1st round exit.
Exactly! Caps (barely) made it to playoffs by winning 2-1 games and losing 1-4. If the Rangers come in with a required (or close to) intensity for the whole series - they should win the series pretty handily. If they pull the same shit as last season when they didn't show up for 3 games - anything can happen (I'm not saying a series loss is automatically guaranteed because these Caps are worse than last year's Devs).

TomBlizzy12

Girardi For Norris
Dec 15, 2022
We could only be so lucky if the Caps brought in Ryan Leonard lol. Really people?

He’s not some super prospect. He’s going to be a great NHLer but we would absolutely tear apart an 18 year old.
Can't wait to see how that kid plays when he isn't force-fed the puck by Perreault

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
No, but you can kinda extrapolate a bit
sunday at 3, tuesday at 7:30/8 (TNT prob) Thurs at 8, sat at 1(my guess)
Sorry for not understanding, but we can extrapolate from what, exactly? All we know is when the regular season ends. Why are we assuming Sunday? Why not Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad