News Article: Rangers Beat Writer Rick Carpinello Let Go

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Something to watch...I was just looking at NY Post Sports page and I see Brett Cyrgalis shown as a columnist and no mention of Larry Brooks. In the newspaper business, becoming a columnist is a big deal. Larry has had some serious health problems over the past few years. Brett is also a nationally known golf writer in addition to covering the Rangers. Brett has been backing up Larry for 4-5 years and recently I've noticed his stuff has had more of a bite. He's a good reporter. And the way things are going, he may be all we have soon.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed Brett covering the Rangers more often than usual this season. Wonder if they're in the middle of a transition period with him and Larry, with next season perhaps being a full take over by Brett.

Interesting to watch.

There is a new user-run bonehead blog Rangersreport2. Most of the boneheads are now there, he has a Go Time thread and Game summaries.

I have seen Carp post there a few times also.

https://rangersreport2.wordpress.com/

Good to know! Thanks!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Something to watch...I was just looking at NY Post Sports page and I see Brett Cyrgalis shown as a columnist and no mention of Larry Brooks. In the newspaper business, becoming a columnist is a big deal. Larry has had some serious health problems over the past few years. Brett is also a nationally known golf writer in addition to covering the Rangers. Brett has been backing up Larry for 4-5 years and recently I've noticed his stuff has had more of a bite. He's a good reporter. And the way things are going, he may be all we have soon.

Brett's alright. Gets information out there quickly from practices an such but he has some awfully dumb articles and takes like the Crosby is a coach killer one last year.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Not really a fan of Carp but good for him I guess. I too miss Gross.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gross was the writer that I liked best. Wish he still covered our team.

I agree. He was the best. Reported the news the best. Too many of these people don't report the news well or try to give too much of their own opinion rather than sticking to their role as beat reporters.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Carp is up there with Mike Harrington of Buffalo as one of the worst beat writers on twitter. Just constant trolling/egging people on and all sorts of nonsense.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Thank god he can get back to having an uncensored platform for his stupidity

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree. He was the best. Reported the news the best. Too many of these people don't report the news well or try to give too much of their own opinion rather than sticking to their role as beat reporters.

The power of the pen has given a few of our current and former beat writers delusions of grandeur. The way they speak to fans of our club borders on insulting at times.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Really sucks but unfortunately it is a trend within the print media industry. Fewer and fewer people read the paper each passing day and not many pay for an online subscription. With Adblocker and everything else, it is hard for these companies to generate revenue.

What I find to be really crappy is that they could't keep him on in some capacity to let him get to 40 years. You don't someone at a job for that length of time anymore.

Hopefully he finds something.

You're unfortunately, very correct.

You also have a lot more "citizen" reporters these days, and people are more interested in opinion pieces than stories grounded in fact - the former being more exciting.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm a huge fan of Weinman from his days covering Section 1 hockey.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I actually don't dislike Carp. I wish they could get the hockey rodent more into the mainstream, but I don't even know who the guy is.

Gross used to do a phenomenal job.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Whatever happened to the Rodent? I used to read his blog daily back in the day. Hockeybird too.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
From what I remember, Rodent was an older gentleman who might be close to 70 now (He once compared a 0-0 Rangers-Lightning game to the Mutara Nebula Battle In Star Trek II :laugh:) so he might just be enjoying semi-retirement.

I don't get the Carp hate. Is he opinionated? Yes. Does he sugarcoat? Not at all. Guy was a beat writer for like 35 years covering the Rangers (from 1978-79 until 2006-07 and again 2008-2016), had a Slap Shots type column that was equal to Brooks, and often challenged the coaches. He called out Muckler for using Leetch at forward, and got to ask Torts some really personal questions. He also lets people guest blog regularly which is really cool either if they just want to try it, or for aspiring hockey writers. He's also one of the most genuine cool and approachable beat writers out there.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's a shame because rodent honestly provides some of the best in-game analysis from anyone I've seen on twitter. Points out mistakes with a tactical mindset and says what the better options are. He talks like he'd be a really good coach.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i actually liked Carp a lot, read Rangers Report every day after,
if you watched the game, no real need to read a regular game story

and i do like Brooks, i like that he calls out the self-defeating decisions of league management, and that he grew up a Ranger fan

But faves were Walt McPeek (did he really win lottery and retire?)
and Hugh Delano

https://nypost.com/2015/04/12/longtime-post-hockey-writer-hugh-delano-dies-at-81/

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/12/08/guest-blogger-walt-macpeek/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad