News Article: Rangers Beat Writer Rick Carpinello Let Go

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Mods, if this needs to be moved or changed let me know. I think it's very important to us as he was one of the official reporters and did a wonderful job.

http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers-report/2016/10/25/journal-news-cuts-jobs/92739346/

http://nypost.com/2016/10/25/sports-writers-feel-the-wrath-of-gannett-cuts/

He was with the team since the 1978-79 season. His stories were amazing whether it was having Pierre Larouche bum cigarettes off him, Espo flipping out after the Penguins series in 1989, Muckler being a jerk, etc.

He's written a few books but should write more. These are the kind of stories that should be passed on for generations.

He was also a great guy who always interacted with the fans, let many (including myself) guest blog with very encouraging and enthusiastic words, and had the weekly live chats.

He also thought the game very well having played ice hockey in his youth and could analyze a play and explain what went right/wrong.

He will be missed and us at HFBoards are definitely in a worse place not having him covering the beat.

If someone PAYS you for even one day to watch sports and attend for free, I'd say you should be grateful and move on

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Carp is very talented and I hope he lands on his feet. He had good stories to tell, for sure. He never broke news and I didn't care for the condescension he showed towards commenters on occasion. Hopefully his replacement is decent.

I echo this sentiment. Always thought he had a tendency to look down his nose at people and didn't really take to the new social media outlets very well, and that's how many people get their news nowadays.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Never really read Carp but this is obviously a trend that isn't going away with print media journalists.

The smart(er) ones will figure that out.

That's probably one reason why Sam Weinman who did the Rangers beat for two seasons I think it was (2006-07----2007-08) got out and went to Golf Digest.

Thing about Carp though, he wasn't just print. He ran the Rangers Blog from Loud that received tremendous traffic, and he also did weekly live chats.

And he wasn't just Rangers. He did Giants and Yankees during his two year break from the Rangers Beat, and he also continued to cover them during the summer months/fall even after being placed back on the Rangers Beat.

Edit: He didn't have a lot of NHL Insider Trade info like a Larry Brooks, but he knew the pulse of the team. He'd often hint at what was going on in a subtle way. For example the Redden situation, he spoke about how the exit meeting with Tortorella didn't go well. How the Heatley trade almost happened, and how there was no way Girardi was being bought out because of his conversations with people in the organization.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That's probably one reason why Sam Weinman who did the Rangers beat for two seasons I think it was (2006-07----2007-08) got out and went to Golf Digest.

Thing about Carp though, he wasn't just print. He ran the Rangers Blog from Loud that received tremendous traffic, and he also did weekly live chats.

And he wasn't just Rangers. He did Giants and Yankees during his two year break from the Rangers Beat, and he also continued to cover them during the summer months/fall even after being placed back on the Rangers Beat.

All housed by a dying media :dunno:

Advertisers are taking their print budgets and putting it all into digital.

Radio will die next.

$ talks.

source: Used to plan media.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If someone PAYS you for even one day to watch sports and attend for free, I'd say you should be grateful and move on

Not to be mean and start internet trouble GG, but I disagree. If you can't genuinely enjoy someone's coverage especially since they've been doing it and doing it well literally for your entire life, and then one day without saying goodbye they get sacked, it stinks.

We all are losing a tremendous resource here. Same will happen in a few years once Larry Brooks retires. The new kids will be fine, but they don't have years of sources and connections.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

Sam was, IMO, the best beat writer we've had. That was a big loss, even though it was a big personal win for him.

Carp was knowledgeable, no doubt, but I wasn't a huge fan of his style / attitude. I never want to see someone lose their job, but not a huge loss for me as far as content.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Sam is now Golf Digest's digital editor. Bright and with lots of class, he covered golf and hockey for Gannett before going over to Golf Digest. He has a totally different style than Carpiniello

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I for one loved reading Carp, my favorite beat writer since Walt McPeek. 'In Review' was my only day after 'must read'
In these times where you can watch virtually game, get box scores and recaps soon after final whistle, reading game articles next day is way less essential. That Carp was subjective and informal and a bit snarky was his style, good to not have more of the same from everyone. You dont like it, dont read it. I barely read Leonard, Gross, Cyrgalis as they neither told much i didnt know, nor entertained me. The NYR universe is less interesting and fun now.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I liked Carp, while I did not always agree with him I thought he was a good read. He did not always pander to what the Rangers would have liked to have been written.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Carp is a grownup with measured opinions and a tendency not to panic after having been through the wars for longer than many posters here and on his site have been drawing breath. Not suffering fools gladly is no crime in an era where every fool gets his own soapbox. He had the interest... and the rocks and thick skin... to put more out there for us to chew on than anyone else and provided a great series of open forums where any and all could have their say. This is just one more in a long list of travesties/tragedies as newspapers and the disciplined professional reporting that they provided meet their financial demise. Sorry to see you go, Carp, and hope there's a happy landing somewhere that better respects your contributions.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
This board is just part of the news media's problem. Why go to them for highlights or post-game comments and opinion when you can just get it here or Twitter?

Carp's awesome. I metaphorically grew up with him. Calling the Panthers "Del Boca Vista" STILL makes me laugh.

Suggest buying his Messier book Dragonslayer and Nightmare on 33rd Street

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
This is a major bummer. I always read Carp's game reviews, they were the highlight of my morning after watching the re-run of the game after waking up.

All the best for Carp in the future :handclap:

My thoughts exactly. Loved reading the blog the morning after a game. Great writer, great sense of humor. Such a shame. Good luck Carp!

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
This is a major bummer. I always read Carp's game reviews, they were the highlight of my morning after watching the re-run of the game after waking up.

All the best for Carp in the future :handclap:

My sentiments exactly. It's weird not having Carp's recap to read today. Sad!

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Always a big fan of his post game reviews. Very colorful and a lot of jokes built upon itself in that blog. Hopefully he lands somewhere.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i stopped reading the mainstream media a while ago. i still check out Larry from time to time but for the most part i like to listen to podcasts and surf this board... by and large i feel like most of the posters here are worth reading a helluva lot more than the mainstream media.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Just saw the news about carp and the blog. What a shame. Carp and the boneheads there made that blog, made it the traffic generator it was and they axe the format and the man. Even the archives are gone. What a sham.
--
Whats stopping us from just recreating the blog ourselves. Boneheads unite. I took a step away but now that its on the verge of extinction Im prepared to sound the sirens. Boneheads unite. Get your webmaster, user generated.
--
Does Carp get to keep his press credentials. Him, Cerny and a few others, including some of us could create a traffic generating website. Ranger fans need it bc suddenly the Rangers blogosphere has gotten terrible.
--
I suddenly miss my boneheads
--
Best of luck Carpy, Im certain something will come together.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Something to watch...I was just looking at NY Post Sports page and I see Brett Cyrgalis shown as a columnist and no mention of Larry Brooks. In the newspaper business, becoming a columnist is a big deal. Larry has had some serious health problems over the past few years. Brett is also a nationally known golf writer in addition to covering the Rangers. Brett has been backing up Larry for 4-5 years and recently I've noticed his stuff has had more of a bite. He's a good reporter. And the way things are going, he may be all we have soon.

Last edited:

Vickers8

My son works for the Rangers, and knows all the beat writers and told me what a nice guy Carpy was and how upset the others are that he's gone

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
Boneheads

Just saw the news about carp and the blog. What a shame. Carp and the boneheads there made that blog, made it the traffic generator it was and they axe the format and the man. Even the archives are gone. What a sham.
--
Whats stopping us from just recreating the blog ourselves. Boneheads unite. I took a step away but now that its on the verge of extinction Im prepared to sound the sirens. Boneheads unite. Get your webmaster, user generated.
--
Does Carp get to keep his press credentials. Him, Cerny and a few others, including some of us could create a traffic generating website. Ranger fans need it bc suddenly the Rangers blogosphere has gotten terrible.
--
I suddenly miss my boneheads
--
Best of luck Carpy, Im certain something will come together.

There is a new user-run bonehead blog Rangersreport2. Most of the boneheads are now there, he has a Go Time thread and Game summaries.

I have seen Carp post there a few times also.

https://rangersreport2.wordpress.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad