Rumor: Rangers at Citi Field for 2018 Winter Classic

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Don't have a link to this but EJ Hradek and Don LaGrecca were discussing it on 98.7 ESPN podcast that also airs on YES Network. Hradek said he had heard Rangers vs Sabres at Citi Field

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
its about taxes...msg doesn't pay taxes but the exception gets voided if the rangers play a home game in a building other than msg

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Surprised it's not against PIT, PHI or CHI since the NHL must have one of those teams in the WC or Stadium Series.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
#BringBack24/7

Here here! Those Stadium Series games without the unaccompanied look at the behind the scenes aspect really cheapened the outdoor game for me.

So many good moments from that series.

• The Ugly Christmas Sweater party (Fedotenko's black eye will be ingrained my memory forever :laugh:)
  • Avery's approval of Anisimov's shotgun celebration.
  • The incredible intro and outro narrated by Liev (Man the announce for those EPIX Starz series was horrible)
  • Callahan's grandma and credit card roulette... the list goes on.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'd actually be in the US for this one.....

Sounds like a grand 'ol time.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Here here! Those Stadium Series games without the unaccompanied look at the behind the scenes aspect really cheapened the outdoor game for me.

So many good moments from that series.

• The Ugly Christmas Sweater party (Fedotenko's black eye will be ingrained my memory forever :laugh:)
  • Avery's approval of Anisimov's shotgun celebration.
  • The incredible intro and outro narrated by Liev (Man the announce for those EPIX Starz series was horrible)
  • Callahan's grandma and credit card roulette... the list goes on.

What about how prescient Mike Rupp's pre-game speech was?

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
Buffalo market actually gets huge ratings for NHL.

But yea, not much appeal for this game outside of New York state.

A little Old Time Hockey between two New York teams never hurt anybody.

I'm sure it'd rate just as good if not better than some artificial San Jose Stadium Series game. :laugh:

They need to build it up and get HBO back on board but.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Buffalo market actually gets huge ratings for NHL.

But yea, not much appeal for this game outside of New York state.

These games are about the local markets. 3x the tickets sales and MUCH higher prices, the merchandise, etc.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Every year there's rumblings that the Rangers are going to be back in the Winter Classic, and every year it's the Blackhawks. Won't believe it until I see them reveal new jerseys for it, THEN it's official.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Excited about this if it happens. Went to the Stadium series against the Islanders and Devils, was weird how Rangers were the away team but that is MSG for you. But Buffalo? That is kinda random. The Devils game was manageable the weather since it was early, although they had no hot chocolate or coffee, lol. Islanders game, froze my ass off, was brutal. lol.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I'm tired of the outdoor games... The sightlines stink for both the fans in attendance and for the people watching the broadcast on TV... Too many outdoor games quickly caused the whole affair to lose its original novelty and appeal...

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
once you've been to one its kind of enough and you'd rather not freeze your ass off and just sit home to watch it

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm tired of the outdoor games... The sightlines stink for both the fans in attendance and for the people watching the broadcast on TV... Too many outdoor games quickly caused the whole affair to lose its original novelty and appeal...

Mostly this. It was a ton of fun when it was just the Winter Classic (and the Heritage classic for Canadian teams) but now with the Stadium Series, it's just too much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->