Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Capitals 8:00 Day 1 of clinching berth possibility

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by hockeykicker, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon Registered User

Mortgage Banking
    yes. These are exactly the 12 forwards I would like to see used. I may even favour Boyd over Connolly due to his positional awareness (C), his speed, and his edge.

IF Connolly needs to play, then he may be better spent on the 3rd line w Eller. However, he's also not that fast, so playing him w Beagle does make some sense.

We also could put Oshie w Eller, as that spread around the offense (put Vrana w Backstrom or even Kuznetsov)

2. Ridley Simon

Mortgage Banking
    There are 2 new pieces, really, when looking at it. Boyd and Gersich

I see a bottom 6 of:
    Vrana-Eller-Stephenson
    Gersich-Boyd-Beagle

I know we have some inexperience there, but the 4th line would create a lot of energy, while the 3rd line would be ultra fast (so wold the 4th line, honestly).

Beagle would get a lot of faceoffs and PK minutes. You could even swap Beagle and Vrana when the game gets shorter and that that trio of C's play a semi shutdown line.

So 3rd period w the lead:
    Stephenson-Eller-Beagle
    Gersich-Boyd-Vrana

My guess is that 4th line would only get some O zone starts in the 3rd. But MAN, would it be fast.

3. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Connolly is faster than Boyd, he just floats a lot. Boyd is also probably not an NHL center. Stephenson is a better fit as a speedy forechecker than Connolly on the fourth line but I do like the speed potential of a line with him and Vrana.

They need to be mindful of not just which forwards have earned spots but what sort of identity they're trying to create on those lines. It would make it a lot easier for those players to simplify their game and gain cohesion. At this rate it doesn't seem as though they plan on spreading the wealth throughout the top nine but hopefully they're veering more toward speed and forechecking ability than generically responsible grinders.

4. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

Maintenance day for orpik. No practice

5. Ridley Simon

Mortgage Banking
    I'd be very happy if they opened with DSP, Chiasson, and Connolly all in the pressbox.

That would be something, and certainly go against the current Trotz narrative. He said as much around Boyd, so....we will see.

Whomever they dress for the Pens game, should give us a sure sign as to what the gm 1 lineup will look like (save injury). From the forwards, to the defense, all the way back to the Goalie.

6. amjay13

amjay13 Registered User Sponsor

Thought Gersich looked good. Perhaps I just noticed him more because he was the new guy but showed some promise. Probably won't factor in much this year but seems to have a future. Does look small/skinny out on the NHL ice however.

7. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

lines today have gersich and chiasson out, connolly and vrana back in

8. AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8 Better luck next year

He took a rocket of a shot off his leg last night and hobbled back to the bench. Not surprising.

Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  9. twabby

twabby Registered User

It's not heresy if it's true. I still worry about him in the playoffs but he's a far more effective player when he's getting fewer even strength minutes as he has been getting recently. Also Djoos and Jerabek seem like far better partners for him than Carlson since 29 and 28 don't really do the whole riverboat gambling thing that sometimes plagues Carlson and that Orpik doesn't really have the speed to cover for. Kind of the same reason I didn't like the 44-9 pairing a few years ago.

10. Skrudland2Lomakin

Skrudland2Lomakin Registered User

I would like to see lines on Friday keep Gersich in and add Vrana to a line. I'd drop Chiasson, he's suitable but I think other guys have more of a scoring threat. Also can we end the Chiasson on PP experiment, he is not on the same page with any of the other guys and he visibly throws off the chemistry.

11. twabby

twabby Registered User

I still don't understand why they haven't given Wilson a shot on the PP: he has 5 minutes total PP time this season. I get that he's being relied on more at ES and on the PK but adding in PP2 duties shouldn't exactly be taxing for a guy like Wilson, especially when his competition is Connolly who is oft-scratched and Chiasson as you mentioned.

RandyHolt and calicapsfan like this.
  12. AlexBrovechkin8

Been saying this as well. No Skill Willy has a great shot and would be a strong net front presence.

calicapsfan likes this.
  13. txpd

txpd Registered User

Home Page:
    I think that will come. Probably next season. I personally think that they don't want to pile too many minutes on him. Considering his style of game. Holtby's post game comments about Kuznetsov being opened up by playing with Wilson indicates to me where the priority is.

Trotz apparently pregame recently told Pierre when asked who was really making a difference that it was Tom Wilson. I don't think Wilson is under appreciated in the slightest

14. txpd

txpd Registered User

Home Page:
    The playoffs squeeze the game tighter and tighter and more and more of the game is fought over in the dirty areas around the net and in the corners. This is where size and strength and experience are the most important. Ov will need to score more goals near the paint than usual. Just shooting it past the goalie from the office wont be enough. On defense the playoff game battle will come to Orpik.

15. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    I do not think it’s a coincidence that so many players who were struggling, are now playing well as the postseason nears.

16. CapitalsCupFantasy

Blogger logic. I don’t think that stat in any way brings a reasonable person to conclude that he was the best skater last night.

17. AlexBrovechkin8

Typical of RMNB. High CF% = best playerz. People are acting like Gersich pulled an Auston Matthews during his debut. He was an energetic little water bug which is exactly what he was billed to be.

18. AlexBrovechkin8

I am trying to keep my hopes down, but so many guys are seemingly healthy and the team seems to be hitting it's stride at the right time. Hope springs eternal I suppose.

Ridley Simon likes this.
  19. CapitalsCupFantasy

My hopes are eternally down, but this might be the first time they are peaking as the playoffs start. Bruce’s first year you could argue for, but that was their first postseason taste.

20. BiPolar Caps

BiPolar Caps The Crapitals! They Cheated! They Cheated!

Understand the return of Connolly and Vrana but I prefer Gersich back in rather than Smith-Pelly as I just thought he had a better game than Devante. Roll with Connolly and Vrana with Eller and put Gersich on the fourth with Beagle and Stephenson. Want to see him start his chemistry with Stephenson.

CapitalsCupFantasy likes this.
  21. CapitalsCupFantasy

I’d definitely give him another game right now over DSP.

22. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also gotta promote Dat Gersich Swag.

23. twabby

twabby Registered User

They are peaking but they have been playing garbage teams. The final 4 games of the season should be a better indicator of their play: @pit, @STL, NSH, NJD.

calicapsfan likes this.
  24. g00n

g00n He'd have gotten away with it, too

And unfortunately those could come after the clinch which presents an opportunity to slack

Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  25. AlexBrovechkin8

Sure, there's that, but Pittsburgh is 5-5 over their last 10 with losses to the Rangers, Islanders, and Red Wings during that stretch. The Caps are 9-1 and are beating the teams a good team should be beating, and they're doing it in a variety of ways. If the situation was reversed and the Pens were 9-1 and the Caps were 5-5 I don't think this board would be saying, "yeah but the Pens are playing garbage teams."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.