Confirmed with Link: Rangers Agree to Terms with Goalie Ondrej Pavelec

RegalRangers

Oct 23, 2005
Los Angeles
I have to wonder here if we couldn't have gotten him for a little less money considering I doubt anyone else was really making his agent's phone ring, but I'll trust that Allaire wanted him here.

This. Allaire knows who he can help. A year from now we'll see Pavelec getting twice as much on the open market.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
should be noted that several other backup goalies are getting 2 years and all are getting more than double the $$

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
One year makes sense, prove you can be a decent backup and resign later otherwise go in a different direction. I never liked Pavelec, mainly because he killed my fantasy teams, short stretches of being really good to long stretches of being really bad. But the positive is that he's got some games under his belt, he can handle 35 games if needed and I trust our team D and coaching to make him look better than he with Winnipeg.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Don't care about extra $$ because it is a one year deal and there's a ton of cap space this season. His thinking is that hopefully Allaire will fix his issues and in a year he goes back on a market as a starter.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Also, not a fan of Pavelec.

I haven't been a fan of his since he came over.

One year makes sense, prove you can be a decent backup and resign later otherwise go in a different direction. I never liked Pavelec, mainly because he killed my fantasy teams, short stretches of being really good to long stretches of being really bad. But the positive is that he's got some games under his belt, he can handle 35 games if needed and I trust our team D and coaching to make him look better than he with Winnipeg.

Don't care about extra $$ because it is a one year deal and there's a ton of cap space this season. His thinking is that hopefully Allaire will fix his issues and in a year he goes back on a market as a starter.

I would hope so as well. I do not like the guy but again, he's only the back-up and it is a one year deal.

Niemi is a bigger tool than Pavalec.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would hope so as well. I do not like the guy but again, he's only the back-up and it is a one year deal.

Niemi is a bigger tool than Pavalec.

In the NHL it's not difficult to acquire a backup goalie during the season if things don't work out. Allaire, I'm sure, was involved here and likely saw something that he thought was fixable.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Pavelec will wow you guys with the occasional save that nobody has any business making.

After a couple of these, the more observant of you will begin to note that the reason he was in position to make the miraculous save is because he over committed to someone who didn't end up being the shooter, was out of position, did a poor job of tracking the puck, or generated the chance because of horrendous puck moving "ability" or rebound control, or a combination of any/all of the above. In other words, he was out of position.

As time goes on, you will notice that the latter instances are the more common than the former.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would rather have pursued Nillsson or Lindback. Seriously gonna miss Raanta.

same here. I hope Benoit made this call and sees something he can fix in pavelec.
He has a lot of work to. Feel even Kinkaid is better than Pavelec but what do i know.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He's honestly a bad goalie. Has so many bad habits: Pushing off too hard, never moves the puck, ends up on his back/stomach too much, ends up outside the blue paint too much, on and on and on

However

His one above average year with the Jets when we made the playoffs he seemed to have these things calmed down. His RVH was one of the best in the league and it seemed to calm the rest of his game down.

He has regressed quite a lot since, but I think Allaire can do things with him. This is win/win for Jets fans. If Pavelec continues to be bad, well told you so. If he does well under Allaire how does that make the Jets goalie coaches look? That might be a very good thing for the Jets org long term.

One thing I will caution is he does play an "exciting" brand of goaltending. Don't confuse this with good goaltending. Most of the highlight reel saves you see from him are from being way out of position, then coming flying back with the glove and picking the puck out of the air. Or making 5-6 saves in a row after giving up 5-6 bad rebounds in a row.

Good goaltending is slow boring goaltending. Pavelec is not that.

sir_captain

Mar 3, 2004
Basically flipped Stepan and Raanta for Andersson, DeAngelo, Pavelec, and a few million in cap space.

Can update that to Stepan and Raanta for Andersson, DeAngelo, Pavelec and Shattenkirk!

Or really, Stepan for Shattenkirk and Raanta for Andersson, DeAngelo, Pavelec and the young 1st round C. I'd have signed up for that.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
He's a step down from Talbot, Biron, and Raanta. I'll be happy with replacement level goaltending for 20 starts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really couldn't care less who's our back up now.

Hank will play every important minute for at least the next two seasons because of his contract. The next goalie will be coming over in two seasons.

Goalies that sign with the Rangers as back ups know what they are getting themselves into. They could play great, and still not play when it matters, like Talbot and Raanta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad