Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire Ryan Sproul for Matt Puempel

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm hardly a Bennett fan, but if you could steal him for something around Holden then you'd be an absolute fool not to do it.

Sproul is a good add for Hartford and I like the trade. Not so convinced it's a pre-cursor to more deals though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The components of Bennett's game are pretty close to Max Domi's. He has good skill and he won't be pushed around. He just needs to take another step. I'd much rather have him than someone like Galchenyuk. I think Calgary would be crazy or very very desperate for defensemen to trade Bennett to the Rangers straight up. Fairer would be something like Holden and a 2nd. Holden/Gropp would work for me too.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A good Chytil move - hopefully he play with him.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
With the crowded blueline in Hartford, does this mean Crawley may come back to London?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
With the crowded blueline in Hartford, does this mean Crawley may come back to London?

I don't think so.

I think Noonan is the first to go down. Noonan was the 7th D today and only played because we dressed 7D and 11O for the game. Crawley is already ahead of him, and like others have said, has played every game.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Sproul had two knee injuries last year in Detroit and missed much of the season. He was also a healthy scratch at times. On the surface this looks like the kind of trade that won't help either team but perhaps I will be wrong.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sproul had two knee injuries last year in Detroit and missed much of the season. He was also a healthy scratch at times. On the surface this looks like the kind of trade that won't help either team but perhaps I will be wrong.

Well, we know why Detroit wanted to give Puempel another chance. It's more puzzling from the Rangers' perspective given how overcrowded AHL D is at the moment. But as the cliché goes you never have enough D.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I watch/watched Detroit, a family member is a fan, Sproul pre-injuries was looking like he could become a decent depth NHL player. He's sort of in the same mold as Clendening, not great or by any mean consistent but there is something there on the offensive side of the puck. I was all for the Rangers trying to get him if he came cheap back when it looked like he could develop into something more, now his stock has gone down quite a bit. If he can get over the injuries I think this could be a decent move, mostly for the AHL though unless he improves quite a bit.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Believe someone mentioned it already, maybe Ola, but Sproul gives us a RHD with size and good skills. He may have to shift his style to be more like a Brendan Smith, but the raw package is there

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't quite yet rule-out Sproul as an NHL-prospect.

While the offensive ability never fully translated to the pro game, it's still decent. However, the key for Sprout involves improving his defensive zone play. He's in a situation that a lot of offensive-minded defenseman find themselves in when they attempt to make the jump to the NHL level - his offensive production isn't quite good enough to compensate for his defensive deficiencies.

My guess is that the Rangers are also looking for depth with the expectation that Holden is moved at some point, and that injuries on the blueline are likely to occur at some point this season.

Reactions: eco's bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bennett is going to command a nice return. While he's never taken that next step, and is off to a poor start this season, he has shown he can at least bring some offense/spark in a bottom six role and is still only 21 years old.

The question is how a team values is ceiling. Do they view him as a longer-term investment like Stephen Weiss, or do they think the offense doesn't quite translate into a top-six role like Scottie Upshall?

Bennett is going to cost more than Holden and a second.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bereglazov would be a fool to go back to Russia. He has a chance to be a good NHL player. Just work on your game and you will get your chance.

I don't know if he'd be a fool to go back. He was already a very good player there and could become a become a star, where he already knows he can succeed. He may yet become a good NHL player but it's hardly a given. I think he'll get there but I could absolutely understand why he'd want to take the "safe" route of going back to the KHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I wouldn't quite yet rule-out Sproul as an NHL-prospect.

While the offensive ability never fully translated to the pro game, it's still decent. However, the key for Sprout involves improving his defensive zone play. He's in a situation that a lot of offensive-minded defenseman find themselves in when they attempt to make the jump to the NHL level - his offensive production isn't quite good enough to compensate for his defensive deficiencies.

My guess is that the Rangers are also looking for depth with the expectation that Holden is moved at some point, and that injuries on the blueline are likely to occur at some point this season.

I would think they'd want more for him than Holden and a 2nd. I think my issue is not to trade our 1st rounder. So what else? Halverson, Nieves, Gropp--all 2nd rounders don't cut it either. They're all a bit on the underachieve side of things. Anyway I think he would be worth pursuing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Garrett Noonan was sent down to the ECHL, for those wondering what would become of the logjam on D in Hartford

Reactions: Revel

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would think they'd want more for him than Holden and a 2nd. I think my issue is not to trade our 1st rounder. So what else? Halverson, Nieves, Gropp--all 2nd rounders don't cut it either. They're all a bit on the underachieve side of things. Anyway I think he would be worth pursuing.

If I'm a guessing man, I think they're going to want either a younger NHL player (Vesey) or some combination of prospects and picks (Graves, Gropp, pair of picks).

But I always hate playing the guess what the other GM wants game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->