Value of: Rangers 1st rounders

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
If you were the Rangers GM, you would pick 8th and 2 late 1st round picks instead of a potential franchise #1 lottery player? Give me a break. We're not talking about trading for the #1 pick pre-lottery winner, we're talking about the actual #1overall pick, right? Yeah, I do it and I don't think many teams wouldn't if they were in the Rangers position.

Well, it's not as Dahlin is McDavid-caliber exact franchise player. You'd rather have depth than just a single star prospect.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
If you were the Rangers GM, you would pick 8th and 2 late 1st round picks instead of a potential franchise #1 lottery player? Give me a break. We're not talking about trading for the #1 pick pre-lottery winner, we're talking about the actual #1overall pick, right? Yeah, I do it and I don't think many teams wouldn't if they were in the Rangers position.

Pointless to think about this scenario. Realistically, Rangers will use players like Buchnevich, Spooner and Namestnikov to trade up with their later first rounders.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
We disagree.
Who's we..? Buch will hit 60 points next year, book it. He had the 3rd lowest ice time for any Rangers player this year and was jerked around by AV. Buch was absolutely lighting it up in the beginning of the year when he was getting somewhat consistent minutes
He's also the only young decent RW we have
On pace for 48 points this year despite AV giving him low ice time and jerking him around

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Rangers are projected to have #8, #26, and #30.

What can they get for one of the late picks?

What could they get packaging the two late picks together? How high could they move up? Is there a good young player available for both?

Could all 3 picks get the Rangers into the top 5?
You are kind of all over the map here.

Can the rangers get into the top 5 by moving a late first to their own? Yes. But likely only to the 4-6 range. I expect the top 3 to be Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov. Don’t see a team trading down out of these guys. Could see teams dropping to 8 to take a Dman and add extra picks.

As for getting a young player for your late picks? Not likely. Think about it from a teams POV. Why deal a 24-26 year old for 2 unknowns that are 2-3 years away? Unless that team is rebuilding or something. So, it’s very team specific. Don’t think you will get guys in the early 20 age range. No point in doing that deal for another team.

You can always move up. Just depends which of vesey, kreider, Hayes, spooner, that you want to move to get younger.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Nope, 3 1st picks is not worth 1 top #5 picks. But if Rangers win lottery one of the picks they might compete much sooner in the playoffs, but it depends about the defense core and how they are going to strengthen it successfully. In addition I`m not certain about DeAngelo & Kevin shattenkirk is the right guys for that D core. I would much rather have scoring wingers, and players who are good in that sniper role in a wing position.

My other point is if they move Zucc to climb in the draft - they remove a 50 pts. player with a future who need years to get NHL ready - so Gorton said 1-2 years, but it all depends on how they hit in the draft and who they aquire in the summer window. Personally which I`ve said in many other topics - I rather build that team in the draft so sell value players for early picks., but u need some veteran players as well so it`s a fine balance.

Brett Howden, Chytil, Lias, Nam, Hayes all center position players, hence I would consider to move Zib`s contract also, because he has struggle with concussions on occasions now at very early age. And believe we can get another 1st pick for him in the 2019 draft since Brett Howden probably need another year to be NHL ready and you free up 5 + mil $ concerning the cap situation before the summer draft of 2019.
C'mon man, you want to trade Zibenajad? You can't be as young as you suggest down the middle. Someone needs to play on the roster. The team is going to be so young the team meals are going to have to be at Chuck E. Cheese.

Reactions: Monument

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They could very easily get into the top 5 with those picks.

The most recent public offers were:
Vancouver tried to obtain the 1st overall with their two 1st's and Hunter Shinkaruk (2014)
Columbus and Toronto discussed (No. 8) and three second round picks (No. 34, 38, 58) for the 4th overall (2015)
Bob Mckenzie reported Philly offered 7, 24 and some prospects to get the 3rd and get I'm presuming strome. (2015)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Vancouver tried to obtain the 1st overall with their two 1st's and Hunter Shinkaruk (2014)
Columbus and Toronto discussed (No. 8) and three second round picks (No. 34, 38, 58) for the 4th overall (2015)
Bob Mckenzie reported Philly offered 7, 24 and some prospects to get the 3rd and get I'm presuming strome. (2015)

Well none of these offers were ultimately accepted. So, the price is pretty darn high to grab a top rated player.

Fla made the right call to keep the pick to grab ekblad. I would hope thats who Vancouver was targeting.

CBS came out better without the deal since they landed warenski.

Philly, also better off staying put and grabbing provorov. Sometimes the dead you don’t make are better.

Quality beats quantity. I think teams would trade down to pass up the American kids of whalstrom and tkachuk. But, not the two high end wingers from the CHL. If they value a Dman.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers need help everywhere and likely choose the BPA. I’m guessing, but they rather have immediate help which is likely a Forward in the following order with the 8th.

Wahlstrom (my guess)
Valeno
Farabee

The other picks are likely DMan.
The Rangers don't need help everywhere. They're loaded at C and G throughout the organization.

W pipeline is weak but strong and young at the NHL level.

D is a wasteland. Would be very surprised if their first pick is a forward.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
If I was Montreal I'd consider a move down 3-4 spots for an extra 1st. Cupboards need extra stocking

kij

Jan 31, 2016

Islanders' all-in trade offer to Jackets makes sense | Hockey | CBC Sports

Islanders offered all 7 of their picks in 2012 (numbers 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185) for 2nd overall, widely assumed to be to pick Ryan Murray which was also declined.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think they should keep 8th over all see if they can steal a player who can come play in the NHL this up and coming year. Trade their late picks for help in needed areas to teams with cap space issues . If they singed ilya kovalchuk im assuming they aren't going into a rebuild .

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think they should keep 8th over all see if they can steal a player who can come play in the NHL this up and coming year. Trade their late picks for help in needed areas to teams with cap space issues . If they singed ilya kovalchuk im assuming they aren't going into a rebuild .

There's only two cap issues and even with them, they're nowhere close to the cap. Those issues are Lundqvist and Staal. Neither deserve their current contracts and even if they can't move them, there will be so many ELC's on this team that it won't matter. Worst comes to worst, if Staal refuses to waive his NMC to go to Hartford, they can sit him until he agrees to do so and/or requests a trade.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
C'mon man, you want to trade Zibenajad? You can't be as young as you suggest down the middle. Someone needs to play on the roster. The team is going to be so young the team meals are going to have to be at Chuck E. Cheese.
Zibenajad is also 24. So it’s not like he’s old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad