Value of: Rangers 1st rounders

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The Rangers are projected to have #8, #26, and #30.

What can they get for one of the late picks?

What could they get packaging the two late picks together? How high could they move up? Is there a good young player available for both?

Could all 3 picks get the Rangers into the top 5?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
They would be better off keep all of those pick.

I agree with this:

“Open for business,” McKenzie reported. “Same as they were at the trade deadline. Once this season is over, the road to the rebuild continues.” McKenzie went on to speculate that the volume of picks the Rangers have was “almost too many.”

“And you say, ‘Well, that’s crazy. They’re a rebuilding hockey team. The more young guys the better you can get,’” he said. “Yeah, to a point. And what I believe is the case is that Jeff Gorton, the general manager, will look at his opportunities.”

Among them, not just the idea of packaging one or two picks to move up in the draft order, as one might expect, but perhaps instead to target a “good 21- or 22- or 23-year-old using those draft picks as currency”.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
As a Habs fan I'd take all 3 1st rounders for our Top 5 unless we are #1, can't see why Rangers do it though

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think we should keep them all heading into the draft then see what opportunities arise. Maybe it is too many picks. But you either take players who develop into assets you move done the road or you wait for teams who see a player they really like at a spit you have a pick and flip it to them. Maybe you get an equal pick for next year in exchange plus a little something extra. Bottom line is they need to re stock this organization from top to bottom. This is the year it starts. We've been choking off the talent stream for far too long.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
As a Habs fan I'd take all 3 1st rounders for our Top 5 unless we are #1, can't see why Rangers do it though
You're not getting that for us to move up three spots unless your pick is the lottery winner and then we both know your offer is of the table.

Reactions: GregSirico

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Anyone know who our Rangers would be targeting with our 8th OA pick

Rangers need help everywhere and likely choose the BPA. I’m guessing, but they rather have immediate help which is likely a Forward in the following order with the 8th.

Wahlstrom (my guess)
Valeno
Farabee

The other picks are likely DMan.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers need help everywhere and likely choose the BPA. I’m guessing, but they rather have immediate help which is likely a Forward in the following order with the 8th.

Wahlstrom (my guess)
Valeno
Farabee

The other picks are likely DMan.
If Wahlstrom isnt there, they are likely to go whoever is highest rated between (alphabetically) Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

What could they get packaging the two late picks together? How high could they move up? Is there a good young player available for both?

All three just to get into the top 5??? Based on pick values, 8th ov + one of our later 1sts is an overpayment for 3rd/4th overall. I wouldn't do more than that.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Zucc + TB 1st for Justin Faulk

Was mentioned in earlier thread to good reception.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Anyone know who our Rangers would be targeting with our 8th OA pick
BPA. We don’t need C though and C won’t be BPA there
Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom etc anyone who might be there, we take. One of those guys should be there. Only guy I don’t want is Tkachuk

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
BPA. We don’t need C though and C won’t be BPA there
Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom etc anyone who might be there, we take. One of those guys should be there. Only guy I don’t want is Tkachuk

I agree against Tkachuk, something seems to indicate a possible "bust." Not sure about the rest, but Wahlstrom is the likely target. Not sure if the Rangers would choose a DMan with the 8OA, but stay away from the smaller guys which they already seem to have: Dobson and Bouchard would be the choices.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I agree against Tkachuk, something seems to indicate a possible "bust." Not sure about the rest, but Wahlstrom is the likely target. Not sure if the Rangers would choose a DMan with the 8OA, but stay away from the smaller guys which they already seem to have: Dobson and Bouchard would be the choices.
Yeah I don’t think Rangers grab Hughes but Boqvist I could see being the top choice if he’s available (probably not) we love Swedes and I feel like it’s been a long time since we picked out of the OHL 1st round and we’ve never picked a guy from the Q in the first round. Between Bouchard and Dobson if both are available I think we go Dobson
I’d love Wahlstrom though. I have him 4th on my own rankings and we NEED a guy who can shoot and a RHS

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Nope, 3 1st picks is not worth 1 top #5 picks. But if Rangers win lottery one of the picks they might compete much sooner in the playoffs, but it depends about the defense core and how they are going to strengthen it successfully. In addition I`m not certain about DeAngelo & Kevin shattenkirk is the right guys for that D core. I would much rather have scoring wingers, and players who are good in that sniper role in a wing position.

My other point is if they move Zucc to climb in the draft - they remove a 50 pts. player with a future who need years to get NHL ready - so Gorton said 1-2 years, but it all depends on how they hit in the draft and who they aquire in the summer window. Personally which I`ve said in many other topics - I rather build that team in the draft so sell value players for early picks., but u need some veteran players as well so it`s a fine balance.

Brett Howden, Chytil, Lias, Nam, Hayes all center position players, hence I would consider to move Zib`s contract also, because he has struggle with concussions on occasions now at very early age. And believe we can get another 1st pick for him in the 2019 draft since Brett Howden probably need another year to be NHL ready and you free up 5 + mil $ concerning the cap situation before the summer draft of 2019.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
BPA.
Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom etc anyone who might be there, we take. One of those guys should be there.
First off, BPA is always the correct answer, and secondly, two of the aforementioned group of five should be there at 8 (can't see Tkachuk falling, for someone will take the center early).

Moreover, why trade those picks? You'll get one blue chip prospect, as well as two shots at a good prospect with the later first round picks. There is nothing wrong with amassing quantity at this point.

Reactions: pld459666

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
First off, BPA is always the correct answer, and secondly, two of the aforementioned group of five should be there at 8 (can't see Tkachuk falling, for someone will take the center early).

Moreover, why trade those picks? You'll get one blue chip prospect, as well as two shots at a good prospect with the later first round picks. There is nothing wrong with amassing quantity at this point.
I don’t know if I read this right but are you saying Tkachuk is a C? If so, he’s a LW and hasn’t played C in a while, his game fits wing much better. If not, my apologies

Agreed 100% with the second part though, we need prospects at every position besides C and G, we have 0 winger prospects that have top 6 potential besides Ronning but he’s a long shot to be top 6. Even top 9 forwards we have 0 near-sure/sure things there as well on the wings. Defense prospects we need as well although not that big of a need (unless it’s a 3D/top pairing guy) might as well fill up the cupboard this year

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you were the Rangers GM, you would pick 8th and 2 late 1st round picks instead of a potential franchise #1 lottery player? Give me a break. We're not talking about trading for the #1 pick pre-lottery winner, we're talking about the actual #1overall pick, right? Yeah, I do it and I don't think many teams wouldn't if they were in the Rangers position.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad