Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedevil58*

And technically Southpoint but I mean, who really considers Southpoint to be part of Durham? :laugh:

What does that mean? Southpoint IS part of Durham. I live in that area for 5 years. I still feel that the nicest areas to live in Durham is probably Northern Durham out there near the orange county line off of Guest road. That while area near the eno has a lot of nice neighborhoods.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not at all. Durham is awesome - the food truck rodeos in Durham Central Park, concerts at the American Tobacco Campus, Durham Bulls Athletic Park, DPAC, Fullsteam Brewing, Bull City Cider Works, HoneyGirl Meadery, Rose's Meat & Sweet Shop - Durham is the happening place to be.

Fair enough, but then it ain't Oakland. I get the impression I'm a bit older than most here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll give my $0.02 as someone that is a bit older, probably like Spicey Porkins.

A lot has changed both in Raleigh and Durham since I've been here, and for the better. Although it's not the only reason, the American Tobacco campus really changed things up for Durham. And for Raleigh, the downtown was pretty much a ghost town not too long ago after 5pm on Friday (except for Glenwood) and that's changed also. Now, I frequent both places regularly, but I like them for different reasons. I don't live in Raleigh or Durham. I live probably 15 min. southwest of Raleigh in a more "suburban" neighborhood as that was more suited to my family when I moved here.

Durham, I really only spend time around the American Tobacco Campus and Brightleaf square. Not that there aren't other areas worth visiting, just that Durham is a bit of a drive for me and I enjoy those two areas uniquely over some areas in Raleigh. I probably go to some sort of show or concert at DPAC almost monthly and it is a fantastic venue, one of the best I've been to in the US. The Arts scene (if you are into that), is a little more "out there" in Durham. More modern style art that pushes the envelope. The food truck scene and restaurants are also very good in Durham, but I can't say I enjoy the restaurants in Durham more than in the Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Holly Springs area.

As for Raleigh, the addition of more condos/residences in downtown, the addition of the Amphitheater, the opening up on Fayetteville, the addition of businesses (Like Redhat downtown), etc....all brought the need for more bars, restaurants, galleries, music, nightlife, etc... to downtown Raleigh. I love the music scene in Raleigh. Lincoln Theatre, Pour House, Southland Ballroom, Kings, etc... are all some of my favorite small venues. They are smaller, more intimate venues, but still get some fantastic bands. I also like places like the Cat's Cradle in Carborro and the Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw as well, but those are quite a drive from me. The Arts scene is probably a bit bigger in the Raleigh area, but a bit more traditional, although there is still more modern stuff out there. Some of the stuff at Artspace, I just shake my head. I still wouldn't call the Raleigh art scene big though, but they are making strides to make Raleigh a destination spot for Arts in the Southeast.

Both Raleigh and Durham have a lot to offer IMO, and there are plenty of places to live outside the downtown and still get downtown in 15 minutes or so.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Fair enough, but then it ain't Oakland. I get the impression I'm a bit older than most here.

Not necessarily. While the Canes board may have a bit of a Romper Room vibe at times, of the people who've been responding to you whose ages I can easily find, I think the range is 27-45 with an average age of 33. I can't recall offhand how old BoomBoomAnton is, I know TankClerval's in his mid-40s, Dave's in his late 30s, Carolina's Identity and myself are in our early 30s, and TankStrappe and HisIceness are late 20s.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Not necessarily. While the Canes board may have a bit of a Romper Room vibe at times, of the people who've been responding to you whose ages I can easily find, I think the range is 27-45 with an average age of 33. I can't recall offhand how old BoomBoomAnton is, I know TankClerval's in his mid-40s, Dave's in his late 30s, Carolina's Identity and myself are in our early 30s, and TankStrappe and HisIceness are late 20s.

lol Dave's less than a year older than you :P

Reactions: vorbis

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Let's just say I'm older than the average you have listed. :laugh:

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
Going to the southpoint mall has been the only reason I ever venture into Durham. As far as malls go, Its my favorite. Crabtree is good too, but the closest one to me, Cary Towne Center, is kinda lame.

bluedevil58*

Downtown Durham also has the best food of the 3 cites. The restaurants blow away all others in both Raleigh and Chapel Hill. So if you're into good good Durham is where it's at.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Downtown Durham also has the best food of the 3 cites. The restaurants blow away all others in both Raleigh and Chapel Hill. So if you're into good good Durham is where it's at.

On the whole, that's probably accurate. Durham has some very good restaurants, and probably a higher number of very good restaurants, but there are some fantastic restaurants all over the triangle that are just as good. For instance, some of the best meals I've had have been at An Cuisines in Cary. There are many more examples as well.

Restaurants are difficult to gauge though, because taste is such a personal thing. Still Durham definitely has a very good food scene.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maggiano's doe.

For me, it's just an ok Italian chain restaurant.

Food is decent, but not great. It's a bit pricey for the quality you get IMO. Not expensive, but not a bargain either. The ambiance is terrible though as it's usually overcrowded and very loud. I don't dislike the place, but I much prefer a place like Bella Monica, Tuscan Blu, or even Daniels over Maggianos. Food preference is a personal thing though so others may see it differently, but for me, it's not a reason I'd go to Southpoint.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
For me, it's just an ok Italian chain restaurant.

Food is decent, but not great. It's a bit pricey for the quality you get IMO. Not expensive, but not a bargain either. The ambiance is terrible though as it's usually overcrowded and very loud. I don't dislike the place, but I much prefer a place like Bella Monica, Tuscan Blu, or even Daniels over Maggianos. Food preference is a personal thing though so others may see it differently, but for me, it's not a reason I'd go to Southpoint.

So, you'd rather be the only person in a place than be in a place that's partying? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad