Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide Pt. 2

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
“The largest indoor pickleball + golf complex in the US” is quite the specific flex.

Yeah, the "pickleball+golf" allowed them make that statement.

Even so, with how much growth there is in pickleball these days, even that specific flex won't likely last long. Not long ago, I read that there was an old mall in GA converted to an indoor pickleball facility with something like 32 courts. This facility in Raleigh has 1/2 the number of courts.

There was another facility of Tennis and Pickleball and other racquet sports with something like 80 courts that was supposedly in the works near Brier Creek. I thought was set to open in 2024 but haven't heard much about it in a while so maybe it's delayed.

I don't play pickleball, but I know a lot of people that do. IIRC, Tom Dundon is into it. It used to be considered a sport for old people, but I've read the average age is now 35.

Reactions: DaveG

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Yeah, the "pickleball+golf" allowed them make that statement.

Even so, with how much growth there is in pickleball these days, even that specific flex won't likely last long. Not long ago, I read that there was an old mall in GA converted to an indoor pickleball facility with something like 32 courts. This facility in Raleigh has 1/2 the number of courts.

There was another facility of Tennis and Pickleball and other racquet sports with something like 80 courts that was supposedly in the works near Brier Creek. I thought was set to open in 2024 but haven't heard much about it in a while so maybe it's delayed.

I don't play pickleball, but I know a lot of people that do. IIRC, Tom Dundon is into it. It used to be considered a sport for old people, but I've read the average age is now 35.
Pickleball.com, a new one-stop website backed by Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, launched on Friday “with a goal of uniting everyone from beginners to pros” in the burgeoning sport, according to Alexandra Skores of the DALLAS MORNING NEWS. The site “will help casual players pick a paddle or find a local court,” while also “giving more serious fans live coverage of the Professional Pickleball Association.” Dundon, an avid pickleball player, is backing it through his Dundon Capital Partners firm. The website “will gather data and content” from companies such as the PPA Tour, Pickleball Tournaments and Pickleball Brackets, TopCourt and Pickleball Central.

Last year, Dundon’s firm "made a majority investment" in Pickleball Central, an e-commerce platform, and equipment maker Pickle-Ball Inc. The firm “also acquired a majority stake" in the PPA this year.

The new site "will fully launch in January with a tournament platform, ratings, league and ladder management, expanded new player resources, court scheduling and amateur highlights." Players can "sign up on the site for a free account to get updates, including the pickleball.com mobile app launching later in October" (DALLAS MORNING NEWS, 10/8).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad