OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Hurdle going with a defensive substitution in the 4th inning; Sean Rodriguez is now manning SS.

Why, Hurdle? What does this accomplish?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Wonder what Ray Searage could possibly be taking notes on? "Hmm.... I should tell the bullpen not to immediately give up a bunch of baserunners and throw a bunch of pitches. Neal, what should our strategy be for that? More fastballs? More fastballs."

Reactions: TNT87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hurdle should absolutely pull Polanco for that. I can get on board with not running out routine stuff sometimes (for the sake of glass hamstrings), but not in that situation. Meadows should come into the game right now. Completely inexcusable, and signals the kind of issues that are going on in the clubhouse.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
1 out.

Man on third.

Brault's spot is up to bat.

Bench: Meadows, Freese, Stallings

Hurdle: Gimme Steve.

Lol theres no way any other coach in any sport would survive this stretch of losing from bad decisions made by him.

Especially with the past failures.

Only the Pirates would hang on to someone like that.

They really are the Browns of MLB

Reactions: DanielPlainview

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
A nice backwards K to end the inning.

I just can't with Hurdle anymore. There are little league managers who could do his job better.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hurdle just put Rodriguez into this game for no apparent reason? Unless Mercer got hurt or something... everything else the team is doing right now is a giant f*** you to the ten or fifteen fans left. That is just on another level.

This game could very easily be tied right now. It doesn't matter anyways, Brault is going to give up more runs. I bet the final score ends up as 15-9 or something.

Reactions: domaug

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Props to Brault for that half inning, despite my relative dislike of him. When he isn't consistently missing with his fastball, he is very effective. Should have had Goldschmidt with a strikeout anyways.

We could use the humidor breaking or something tonight. Hard to see getting back into this without another big HR.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Maybe Bell is fixed. Shit load of walks lately, better swings on balls. Too bad that didn't get over the wall.

I hope you are all calmly sleeping, and not allowing any of this poisonous hope to seep back in.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
What a hellish series this has been. A win tomorrow would be a decent consolation, I guess.

The next 5 series:
Reds
Brewers
Diamondbacks (4)
@Mets
@Padres

It's to the point now where they have to start sweeping teams. They need to gun hard for that against the Reds, Mets, and Padres.

That leaves 7 against the Brewers and Diamondbacks.

They absolutely must win the Milwaukee series. That's non-negotiable. It's their best chance to gain some ground in the division. On the flip side, if they get swept, the season would likely be toast.

With Arizona, I would be fine with a 2-2 split, given how 4-gamers have gone this year, assuming they win the Milwaukee series.

My hope is they manage to grind out a win tomorrow against Grienke, then win 2 of 3 against the Reds (obviously a sweep would be ideal), to set up a series with the Brewers for which they have some positive momentum. If they can manage to be only 4.5-5 games out afterward, I'd feel a lot better about their chances of working back into contention.

It all seems impossible right now given how things are going. Yes, Hurdle has seemingly lost his mind, but I still think the talent of this team is capable of turning it around. A move or two to sure up the bullpen would do wonders.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Maybe Bell is fixed. **** load of walks lately, better swings on balls. Too bad that didn't get over the wall.

I hope you are all calmly sleeping, and not allowing any of this poisonous hope to seep back in.

Bell turning things around after he's moved out of the 4th spot. Maybe leave him where he is?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the talent is still there, and it's really a shame, because at the very least, these last two series have been very winnable. We'd probably only be 5.5 back if we just hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so many times.

There's an extremely irrational part of me that wants to believe we'll somehow walk into a giant winning streak. or a 10-1 streak or something. Just one or two bounces, and maybe everything really clicks for a week and a half. I thought that this was on tap in game 1 of this series, and am still somewhat speechless, and borderline impressed, that this team managed to f*** up even worse last night.

I'd guess that best case scenario, we can turn things around a little bit and grind the division deficit to 6 games at the all star break. That's still in the race, but with a rapidly diminishing margin for error. I think more likely, the Brewers will sweep us at home to effectively end our season. To say nothing of having to beat the Reds this weekend - wouldn't surprise me in the least if we get a nice, boring pitching duel today, and then more little league shit Friday.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Anyone have thoughts on what today's new horror will be? The only thing I can think of is Taillon going 8 strong, getting pulled for Vazquez in a 3-0 game because he gives up an unlucky single or something, and then a Vazquez collapse. The new part comes with the news after the game that Vazquez needs TJ surgery.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think the talent is still there, and it's really a shame, because at the very least, these last two series have been very winnable. We'd probably only be 5.5 back if we just hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so many times.

There's an extremely irrational part of me that wants to believe we'll somehow walk into a giant winning streak. or a 10-1 streak or something. Just one or two bounces, and maybe everything really clicks for a week and a half. I thought that this was on tap in game 1 of this series, and am still somewhat speechless, and borderline impressed, that this team managed to **** up even worse last night.

I'd guess that best case scenario, we can turn things around a little bit and grind the division deficit to 6 games at the all star break. That's still in the race, but with a rapidly diminishing margin for error. I think more likely, the Brewers will sweep us at home to effectively end our season. To say nothing of having to beat the Reds this weekend - wouldn't surprise me in the least if we get a nice, boring pitching duel today, and then more little league **** Friday.

Ive been saying the talent is there for over a month now. Thats the worst part about it. They were 26-17 and could be at 40 wins right now , in first place. If not for all of those games that were blown late. Which also leads to other things spriraling out of control. Winning/losing affects the whole team.

That falls on Hurdle. There were a ton of decisions that looked bad before we even saw the result. You put the best lineup out there every game until a team gets past a tough stretch. Yet he continued to do...whatever it was he was doing.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Apparently Hurdle said something today about Polanco has been getting treatment for his hamstring over the last couple weeks. And he still continues to play.

Hurdle should’ve been fired two years ago. It’s amazing he still has a job. He’s totally inept.

Reactions: domaug

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I just came to post about that. I don't have the interest to waste time looking into the specifics, though I just saw the detestable Biertempfel saying that "it's nothing new." Still, Hurdle seemed to be saying it was a recent thing, and between Polanco's incredible struggles and Meadows emergence, it makes no sense at all not to have given him a stint on the 10-day DL.

In the abstract, I think that there's too much attention being directed at both Polanco and this outfield rotation in general, but given this news, it's really insane. However, what gets lost in the scapegoating of Polanco is that none of Marte, Meadows, or Polanco are exactly paragons of staying fully healthy, and Dickerson also seems to benefit from a bit of rest.

Polanco's strikeouts have been a big issue, and I get the argument about the lineup, but I think the season failures come down to equally Hurdle and pitching. Without wanting to in any way excuse Hurdle, who I think should be fired, he's not fully to blame for how inept a lot of the pitching has been. Outside of a brief spurt, the bullpen is in the bottom five in baseball, and the starting pitching mostly only hovers around adequate. Together they are a nightmare, and I think in the end even more important than whatever a new manager would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad