OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Heading into the season I thought their weakness would be starting pitching, it's not tho Keller could be better. Their hitting is atrocious and Bednar is shitting the bed. Defense also hurting a bit.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Lol, no runs and Cruz's "nevermind the yips, look at how hard he throws!" costs us.

Beyond his offense, people ignoring the throwing demons are delusional. Ticking time bomb.
Not sure what can be done with him. Immense physical specimen, but just sucks at baseball.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The Bucs are one of the top teams in ab's with runners on and risp as well as near the tops in strikeouts looking.

But there is definitely nothing wrong with the coaching staff, all the players just happen to suck.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I am absolutely perplexed how this team is trying literally nothing to spark the offense.

At least Priester looks encouraging?

Pirates are maybe learning the wrong lessons from the Pens.

Small sample size, but Keller's velocity is a tick below last year and it shows up in his batted ball profile, more balls are being pulled, hit harder and in the air. Not a good combo.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I mean, priester kinda flubbed like an entire inning and a half of outs with bad fielding

I know he's a pitcher but shit like that kills games

They've been playing Sloppy Pirates™️ style baseball again and it's costing them

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
They’re at a tipping point. Usually teams wait until a home stand to make any moves. The cynic in me says they call up skenes for publicity but he also deserves to be in the majors regardless.

The hitting approach is systemic. Call up guys, send some guys down. Whatever lol

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The track record of this org. says it's the org f***ing up the players. Not the other way around.

I don't think for one second Cruz and Davis are THIS bad.

It's a rotten business and it all goes back to Bob. With a better owner who was actively trying to win, we're not having any of these discussions. It's that simple.

I'll watch Jared Jones pitch. And Skenes when he comes up. Beyond that, they can get f***ed.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The track record of this org. says it's the org f***ing up the players. Not the other way around.

I don't think for one second Cruz and Davis are THIS bad.

It's a rotten business and it all goes back to Bob. With a better owner who was actively trying to win, we're not having any of these discussions. It's that simple.

I'll watch Jared Jones pitch. And Skenes when he comes up. Beyond that, they can get f***ed.
Yeah pretty much. I mean he hired a hockey guy as team president. And I know it’s been said that his responsibilities run more with day to day operations but the food has gone downhill at Pnc park as well.

I mean Oneil Cruz had elite level foot speed, exit velocity, throwing velocity. And by elite, we’re talking a true physical freak. The 1% of 1%.

Shame on me for thinking that would translate

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Small sample size, but Keller's velocity is a tick below last year and it shows up in his batted ball profile, more balls are being pulled, hit harder and in the air. Not a good combo.
Yeah, it's getting hit very well. It's a pretty worrying sign, because it seems to be the fine line between him being pretty consistently effective and him being mostly up and down on a start by start basis.

Cruz and Davis are massive steps back for young players, but I think from a general perspective, Keller and Hayes' struggles are the most foreboding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad