OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Sell the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Didn't know what thread to put this in, but I think I officially feel bad for DC sports fans. Last night was just brutal and this statistic boggles the mind.

Sixty-nine straight seasons without a conference final appearance in football, basketball, baseball or hockey, easily the longest such streak in the country. Twelve times that such an appearance was just one win away; a record of 0-12 in those games. A record of 3-13 in the last 16 home playoff games with a chance to advance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...of-the-d-c-sports-fan/?utm_term=.6e02f52a8cd0

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I will NEVER feel bad for that city. I think it's hilarious how it's choke after choke. HATE the Cubs but atleast we got to see another team in Washington have an early exit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hopefully it'll be another 100 years for the Cubs to win again.

Also, anyone see this? please be true and happen!!!

I wouldn't expect much from this.

There have been several reported offers for the Pirates in the past including the Pens' ownership and Mark Cuban. Owners who actually would fund a decent payroll. Nutting refuses to sell as he consistently is one of the top profit makers in the league.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well, if this wasn't the year I became a Dodgers fan, it's never gonna happen.

*still hasn't watched a baseball game since the Nicasio f***-up, so I guess it's never gonna happen...but f*** the Cubs regardless*

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
As much as a new owner would be exciting, it usually means payroll gets cut more initially than expanded.

How much more could they really cut payroll? Seriously.... any business owner should understand the situation.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Hopefully it'll be another 100 years for the Cubs to win again.

Also, anyone see this? please be true and happen!!!

I had an argument recently with DK regarding this subject. The conflict was over the Pirates "reported" financials where they are making a small profit in the 15 million range. As I told DK, the real number by my estimates is northward of 75 million per year. DK could not grasp my estimate at all, I tried to quickly run through the numbers with no luck.

So instead of numbers, let us use common sense. Why would Nutting, who obviously cares so much about the bottom line, not listen to offers when he could easily triple to 5 times his initial investment?? The answer is simple, he basically has a cash ATM that no other business provides.

Lastly, I used one other bit of logic on DK. IF the small markets were all barely making a profit, breaking even or losing money, why would they not force economic change to MLB?? There are more small to medium markets than large markets. It's because they are all making a killing financially and all have a built in excuse for not competing.

MLB is one big sham.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Can I see your numbers? The ones I found (that were released independently--I trust Nutting's own word as far as I can throw Prince Fielder) indicated something more like $40 million profit. I'm open to believing $75 million if I see it, though.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Can I see your numbers? The ones I found (that were released independently--I trust Nutting's own word as far as I can throw Prince Fielder) indicated something more like $40 million profit. I'm open to believing $75 million if I see it, though.

It's obvious the Pirates released the numbers from an ideal year to paint the exact picture they wanted the public to believe.

Again, if they are making 15 million profit while having a 88 million dollar payroll, why wouldn't they be the leaders in trying to change the economics of baseball??

Also, why would Nutting not considers offers that would give him a 5x multiple return on his initial investment?

Logic tells you all owners love the current economic conditions. Large Markets are raking in the money and have a competitive advantage. Small markets are truly killing it with profit and have a built in excuse, "we are the little engine that could". LOL

It's all bs

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
According to Forbes rankings the Pirates made the 8th most money in baseball at $51 million last year:

https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#header:operatingIncome_sortreverse:true

Revenues are tough to nail down of course because the teams can get creative with the books, and the Nuttings always include servicing the debt that they took on in buying the team right off the top, so it is not just players salaries + cost of running a franchise, but that is as close as you can nail down as Forbes is a legit site for business.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I never wanted to see the Cubs win a title in my lifetime. That dream unfortunately didn't come true. Hateable, entitled coach. Baez and Contreras.. punks. Pretty sure I saw Contreras do a bat flip after a single to center. The worst has to be their fans.

Reactions: td_ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad