NFL: Raiders hiring Antonio Pierce as head coach

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hell yeah.

Now get a veteran OC and we will be good yall
Seen plenty of veteran DC like Flores, Morris, Wilks, Bradley, etc. that were former HC at one time (likely 1 and done for these guys).

I can't really name what you'd call a veteran OC. Like Reich, Bevell, Schottenheimer? Most OCs today are trending as the younger guys.

Do wonder who Pierce is targeting for his OC. That is the key hire for him. And without a QB right now, what is his sell job to someone?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They’ll likely not hire anyone to fill those spots until they get the GM because that’s who is going to be the guy who knows people.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I like AP. He deserves a shot. That being said why not hire a GM who would make that call?

Are they gonna give AP same power as Josh McDaniels?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I like AP. He deserves a shot. That being said why not hire a GM who would make that call?

Are they gonna give AP same power as Josh McDaniels?
The interim GM is in a meeting with team brass and was in the HC interviews so they're probably hiring him too.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Right move i think. Unless you were getting a guy like Harbaugh or Belichick, ripping the tag off Pierce was the way to go.

Between Gruden and McDaniels, the Raiders need a culture reset. He at least got them to show up and play with what is a pretty rough roster. Most common sentiment i saw from Raiders players is he just gets "it."

Could definitely see this being a Dan Campbell type where he's not the brightest Xs and Os guy but can easily work around that with the right people as coordinators/people (hiring Marvin Lewis i think is a pretty good start in that regard)

Edit: Also please let this be the f***ing end of teams trying to skin the Patriot Way and wear it for themselves.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right move i think. Unless you were getting a guy like Harbaugh or Belichick, ripping the tag off Pierce was the way to go.

Between Gruden and McDaniels, the Raiders need a culture reset. He at least got them to show up and play with what is a pretty rough roster. Most common sentiment i saw from Raiders players is he just gets "it."

Could definitely see this being a Dan Campbell type where he's not the brightest Xs and Os guy but can easily work around that with the right people as coordinators/people (hiring Marvin Lewis i think is a pretty good start in that regard)

Edit: Also please let this be the f***ing end of teams trying to skin the Patriot Way and wear it for themselves.
Coordinators are the key for him. Lewis is a defensive guy and I think the Raiders will be ok on D. It's the OC, QB coach, and OL coaches that are the key moving forward for AP.

Must have sold Davis enough on who he was targeting to fill those roles to get the job.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Someone said PART of the reason why Mark Davis hired AP might have been because of budget issue, having to pay McDaniels and Gruden.

Which, I think, might be fair.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Will likely help on the defense side of things, as much as Marvin Lewis gets blasted as an head coach, he wasn’t that bad.

Before that, he was a terrific defensive head coach for a long time.
What Lewis did in Cincinnati is pretty close to a miracle considering the dipshit Owner/GM he had as a boss and they lack of resources he was given to work with. The team barely had a scouting staff because Mike Brown is a cheap fool. If Lewis had Joe Burrow as a QB he would've won plenty of playoff games.

Pierce is absolutely the right hire for the Raiders. Besides having a winning record as interim coach, the players obviously love him and I agree with whoever said he can be a Dan Campbell type head coach. I personally think being a great leader is more important for a coach than being an X and O's guy.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Seen plenty of veteran DC like Flores, Morris, Wilks, Bradley, etc. that were former HC at one time (likely 1 and done for these guys).

I can't really name what you'd call a veteran OC. Like Reich, Bevell, Schottenheimer? Most OCs today are trending as the younger guys.

Do wonder who Pierce is targeting for his OC. That is the key hire for him. And without a QB right now, what is his sell job to someone?
His sell job is you become an offensive coordinator in the NFL, get paid way more money and get a chance to prove yourself to become a head coach. These guys aren't anywhere near as picky about taking Coordinator jobs as you've been letting on. There's been plenty of coaches who've had an unsuccessful coordinator gig and still got another coordinator job a few years later.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What Lewis did in Cincinnati is pretty close to a miracle considering the dipshit Owner/GM he had as a boss and they lack of resources he was given to work with. The team barely had a scouting staff because Mike Brown is a cheap fool. If Lewis had Joe Burrow as a QB he would've won plenty of playoff games.

Pierce is absolutely the right hire for the Raiders. Besides having a winning record as interim coach, the players obviously love him and I agree with whoever said he can be a Dan Campbell type head coach. I personally think being a great leader is more important for a coach than being an X and O's guy.
Not to mention Lewis got screwed in 2005 when the Bengals lost Palmer on play 1 of their first playoff game in 15 years.

And then lost what was a legitimate MVP contender in Andy Dalton during the 2015 season, causing them to lose out on a first round bye and then having to start AJ McCarron in a playoff game.

In a different timeline, Marvin Lewis is viewed as an above average coach rather than a guy who everyone assumed Mike Brown was too cheap to fire.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Coordinators are the key for him. Lewis is a defensive guy and I think the Raiders will be ok on D. It's the OC, QB coach, and OL coaches that are the key moving forward for AP.

Must have sold Davis enough on who he was targeting to fill those roles to get the job.
It's been 22 years but Marvin Lewis did do a good job in his short time in Washington. I was like 13 that season.

Raiders should improve on D.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's been 22 years but Marvin Lewis did do a good job in his short time in Washington. I was like 13 that season.

Raiders should improve on D.
Lewis should help but I don't think he's going to be DC unless Patrick Graham takes a job elsewhere. The Raiders had a top 5 defense after Pierce took over and Graham got a lot of credit for that.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Lewis should help but I don't think he's going to be DC unless Patrick Graham takes a job elsewhere. The Raiders had a top 5 defense after Pierce took over and Graham got a lot of credit for that.
Still, it improves the quality of play at the specific position he is responsible for. The Raiders have been sorely lacking across the board defensively.

They might be nasty next year...dare I say...Chief dethroners.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Still, it improves the quality of play at the specific position he is responsible for. The Raiders have been sorely lacking across the board defensively.

I'm not sure about those last two words but I like your line of thinking.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Unknown a QB to say that…

See what Graham can do with the D if Wilson and Young can actually play to their draft positions.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Most common sentiment i saw from Raiders players is he just gets "it."

That’s because Pierce and Campbell played the game at the highest level and they understand how a team needs to function and how the game needs to flow. Same with Vrabel in Tennessee.

In comparison guys like Mike McDaniel, Nick Sirianni and Spanky McDonough who have no clue how to manage a game. This isn’t Madden23 where the only thing you have to do is pick the plays and let the computer execute them.

It’s pretty easy to tell who’s played the game and who hasn’t. Guys on the team know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad