Radulov vs Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how Ovechkin and Malkin are so far ahead of Radulov?

1 OVECHKIN, DYNAMO, RUS LEAGUE 17 SEP 85 6`2 200 LW R 53gp 13-10-23, 42pims
2 MALKIN, MAGNITOGORSK, RUS LEA 31 JUL 86 6´3 186 C/W L 34gp 3-9-12, 12 pims
9 RADULOV, DYNAMO, RUS LEAGUE 05 JUL 86 6´1 178 RW L 42gp 15-16-31 102pims

Rad is almost a full year younger, played on the same team, & scored 2g-6a-8pts more than Ovy although he played in 11 less games.

Are these stats correct? I got them from:
http://nhl.speedera.net/futures/cssrankings/2004final/euroskaters.pdf

gmdevils

Oi'll say! said:
Can someone explain to me how Ovechkin and Malkin are so far ahead of Radulov?

Rad is almost a full year younger, played on the same team, & scored 2g-6a-8pts more than Ovy although he played in 11 less games.

Are these stats correct? I got them from:
http://nhl.speedera.net/futures/cssrankings/2004final/euroskaters.pdf

I was looking at this too, and quite suprised. But according to hockeydb.com Radulov only played 1 game this year for Dynamo Moscow, so I'd guess those stats are for a lower tiered league.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0019322004.html

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Thx for the clarification guys, that explains everything.

You'd think that they'd do a bit better job of identifying the leagues these guys are in, that's no small difference. :dunno:

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
Radulov spent most of the 2003-04 season with THK Tver in the High League. Malkin won Russia's Rookie of the Year honors and played in the Super League for one of the strongest teams. Ovechkin held a leading role on one of strongest Super League clubs. You should check out the info on RussianProspects.com - good stuff on these top guys.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
also keep in mind that the draft rankings are based on projects of who the scouts feel will be better nhlers down the road, NOT who they think is the best player today. and those 2 things aren't always the same...you could have 2 players that are similar now but for 1 reason or another, one is projected to be much better at the next stage...

and there is alot more to it than just goals and assists so they stats only tell a fraction of the story...there are lots of guys who if you look at only 1 dimension, they are as good as anyone but not many can say that about their complete game

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Oi'll say! said:

You'd think that they'd do a bit better job of identifying the leagues these guys are in, that's no small difference. :dunno:

As I've said in a post recently, reports from Russian hockey tend to be confused, chaotic, erratic.

The rule of thumb when checking out Russian hockey reports is to check, double check, ask someone else to check your check and then re-check that crap which makes for a quadruple check.

And then pray 55% of what you checked will turn out right. :cry:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Soyuz said:
Radulov spent most of the 2003-04 season with THK Tver in the High League. Malkin won Russia's Rookie of the Year honors and played in the Super League for one of the strongest teams. Ovechkin held a leading role on one of strongest Super League clubs. You should check out the info on RussianProspects.com - good stuff on these top guys.

Agreed that TVER was in the 2nd best Russian League the "Upper" or "High" League according to how you translate it.......BUT this is still a Mens league not a Jr. or development league as with RUS 3 consisting of the actual farm teams of juniors for their parent Superleague squads...so DYNAMO 2 actually is in the RUS 3 level farm team of Dynamo 1 (the SuperLeague team) --but Radulov did not play for that farm team but rather for TVER in the Upper League (must have been a "loaner"from Dynamo) .........so he did play against older MEN and one must also remember that
Kovalchuk was also drafted after a season not in the SuperLeague but also in the Upper League ............so all in all I think young Radulov's stats were in fact impressive enough ALONG with his great performances in 2 U-18's in Feb and April to justify his rank as the 3rd best forward in Russia (well,at least IMO,in Redline's opinion,and in Russianprospects.com's opinion--as for Central Scouting--how they could have shoved Viktor Alexandrov ahead of Radulov and actually dropped Radulov a few spots from mid-term in the overall euro rankings,is beyond me--especially after Radulov shined so well this spring)...Radulov should have risen in Central Scouting's rankings ,not dropped a bit...but then again Central Scouting GOOFED in 2000 when they put Yakubov and Vorobiev ahead of Frolov (who many readers of this site will rember I was championing as a must pick for 1 of the two picks the Hawks had at 9&10 that year)........I see however that Tukonen rose on Central's final ranking from #11 at mid-term to #5 euro---and Tukonen's excellent showing in the 2 U-18's in Feb and April certainly justified such a rise --so i think they got that right,BUT IMO Radulov also should have moved UP.......Unlike Redline Central did not move Olesz down --he stayed at #3 euro skater on their list ....

My own view agrees more with Redline ----I just have some misgivings about Olesz' ultimate scoring potential ........and i certainly don't see Viktor Alexandrov as high as Central has him.....I don't think he's a top ten overall even......

This is my own ranking overall on the forwards:
1.Ovechkin (consensus)
2. Malkin (consensus)
3.Radulov
4.Tukonen (I think there is a consensus he should be 4 or 5)
5. Olesz
6.Picard
7.Ladd

But hey --that's just my opinion......add in D-men Barker and Smid and Velabik and that should be the top ten barring a goalie cracking in somewhere (Montoya or Schwarz).....How they ultimately all place in the top 10-11 is anyone's guess from #3 onward....

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
hawksfan50 said:
This is my own ranking overall on the forwards:
1.Ovechkin (consensus)
2. Malkin (consensus)
3.Radulov
4.Tukonen (I think there is a consensus he should be 4 or 5)
5. Olesz
6.Picard
7.Ladd

That is friggin really close to how I view things...mine is more like this

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Tukonen
4. Radulov
5. Olesz
6. Schremp
7. Ladd

Just one player swap and one ranking change...I think only Barker can be added to that list when I put the whole draft into account...outside the top 8 or so, theres nothing too special (although I do like Stafford).

Guillaume

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
THe stats are his stats with Tver. He recorded a 42-15-16-31 102 PIM and +5. He also played one game with Dynamo (with 2 PIM and -2) and played some games for Dynamo 2.

Just wanted to add that these stats are quite amazing. For instance, they are better than Zherdev's stats around the same age (i.e., the year the player is turning 18). Zherdev was 53-13-15-28 62 PIM -6 in 2001-2002 (he was born in 11/84).
The only player I can think of who had better stats during his 18th birthday year in High League was Kovalchuk who was 39 25-18-43 78PIM in 2000-2001.
If Radulov was not somewhat of a headcase sometimes, he could go top 5 this year. He may/might anyway actually.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Patty Ice XXX said:
That is friggin really close to how I view things...mine is more like this

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Tukonen
4. Radulov
5. Olesz
6. Schremp
7. Ladd

Just one player swap and one ranking change...I think only Barker can be added to that list when I put the whole draft into account...outside the top 8 or so, theres nothing too special (although I do like Stafford).

My Top7 forwards on this years draft.

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Tukonen
4. Radulov
5. Olesz
6. Ladd
7. Schremp

Guillaume

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Karamazov said:
Yeah but again Zherdev was playing in the Super League as opposed to the High League...
He played in superleague in 2002-2003 (with CSKA), not in 2001-2002 (the year he turned 18). he played at that time for Elemash Elekrostal in High League.

Guillaume

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Karamazov said:
I thought he was playing with CSKA while he was drafted. As Vlad says it can get confusing sometimes...

He was playing for CSKA when he got drafted in 2003 (as he was a late 84 birhtday, he was drafted the calendar year he turned 19). During the calendar year he turned 18 (i.e., 2002), he was playing for Elemash Elektrostal in High League.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Oi'll say! said:

When you are looking for stats from the european leagues use european sites. Not www.hockeydb.com, they usually suck when it comes to europan stats.

Use www.eurohockey.net instead, much better. :)

Aleksandr Radulov

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->