Radulov Vs. O'sullivan

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I just want to add to what The Big E said. What O'Sullivan did in the AHL last year was amazing because he is only the second rookie in the past 15 years to record 40 goals in the AHL and I believe O'Sullivan started out his AHL season very slow due to some type of injury. I doubt Radulov will be able to match that. He might not even get the chance to because he will probably be playing in the NHL but even if he did play the whole season in the AHL next season I seriously doubt he would be able to match O'Sullivan's numbers.

http://www.wild.com/player/?file_300=http%3A%2F%2Fboss%2Estreamos%2Ecom%2Fwmedia%2Fwild%2Fwmedia%2Fep3%2D12%2Ewvx

Regular Season
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM
2005-06 Houston Aeros AHL 78 47 46 93 64

Playoffs
GP G A Pts PIM
8 5 5 10 4

And you can't say that his numbers were higher because he was playing with good linemates because just look at his linemates numbers with O'Sullivan and without O'Sullivan -
04-05 (With out O'Sullivan)
Law GP80 G25 A24 PTS49
Westrum GP80 G18 A15 PTS33

05-06 (With O'Sullivan)
Law GP80 G43 A67 PTS110
Westrum GP71 G34 A64 PTS98

Amazing increases in production.
And how do you see Radulov's season in the Q? Remember he's in his second year of North American hockey, he tore it up in the regular season and the post season. His point scoring streak was second all-time, only Lemieux had a longer streak and it wasn't by much, so he's consistant too.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
And how do you see Radulov's season in the Q? Remember he's in his second year of North American hockey, he tore it up in the regular season and the post season. His point scoring streak was second all-time, only Lemieux had a longer streak and it wasn't by much, so he's consistant too.

I guess LK is just saying it was more impressive for O'Sullivan since it was against men, whereas Radulov's season was against kids.

Muddy Wilbury

Flyers Fan in Ottawa
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, ON.
Definitely Patrick O'Sullivan. What he did in the AHL last year was impressive. I think he'll make Minne regret trading him for years to come.

It's a risk they wanted to take but I'm inclined to agree with you. I think O'Sullivan will be a great fit in LA.

I guess we'll see just wait and see if Demitra makes then NOT regret it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What O'Sullivan did in the AHL last year was amazing because he is only the second rookie in the past 15 years to record 40 goals in the AHL and I believe O'Sullivan started out his AHL season very slow due to some type of injury. I doubt Radulov will be able to match that. He might not even get the chance to because he will probably be playing in the NHL...
I'm not sure if you realize the point that you've just made. So few rookies have scored 40 goals in the AHL because the franchise prospects skip the AHL entirely. Guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Malkin would've easily scored 40 goals as AHL rookies. There's also a whole slew of players like Gagne, Heatley and Nash who might've hit that mark if they had ever played in the AHL. O'Sullivan's accomplishment is, certainly, quite impressive, but my point here is that it doesn't mean much when comparing him to a player who's possibly good enough to jump directly to the NHL. If every current NHL player had played a full season in the AHL, O'Sullivan would surely have a lot of company. This shouldn't really diminish the accomplishment, though, since putting him into the company of players of the caliber of the aforementioned is certainly tremendous. We just need to keep proper perspective.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
"MePutPuckInNet :Personally, I'm getting rather irritable about the general lack of respect for O'Sullivan's skills."

Comparing O'Sullivan with Radulov IS NOT lacking respect for O'Sullivan.

It's not like the guy is crap. Radulov was absolutely dominant in the Q this year, full of skills and not a small body either. He'll be a stud.

I saw a lot of Radulov so i have a biaised opinion in is favor but saying this 1 on 1 is a lack of respect for O'Sullivan skills IS a lack of respect for Radulov skills imo...

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
My comment was made as a statment about the general lack of respect for O'Sullivan's skills - not just here on HF, but also amongst the so-called media authorities [TSN, The Hockey News, etc.].

There was no disrespect intended to Radulov. As a matter of fact, I believe the same could be said about both players.

And to Osprey's point about players jumping directly to the NHL and therefore not having an opportunity to be top dog in the AHL. It's a good argument....but I don't buy it. It's possible that guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, etc., etc., would have grabbed the ROY in the AHL, then again,,,since they didn't, we're never going to know if they would have actually accomplished it, are we? But, O'Sullivan DID. Obviously, only one player ever year gets the honor, had Ovechkin and Crosby both played in the AHL last year, ONE of them might have received the ROY. Then again, ONE of them wouldn't have, either. Just as ONE of them didn't receive the NHL's Calder Trophy.

Do we think Crosby is less of a player because he couldn't beat Ovechkin's numbers? I doubt that anyone here really believe's that, eh? I sure don't.

and I also think that assuming O'Sullivan wasn't 'good enough' to jump directly to the NHL is a lot of hooey. Just because he didn't, doesn't mean he wasn't 'good enough' to do so. There were a whole lot of other issues surrounding the kid, and they effected Minnesota's decision to be very cautious with him - but none of those issues had anything to do with whether or not he was good enough.

So.....what was my point??? Honestly, I don't remember.....

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
And to Osprey's point about players jumping directly to the NHL and therefore not having an opportunity to be top dog in the AHL. It's a good argument....but I don't buy it. It's possible that guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, etc., etc., would have grabbed the ROY in the AHL, then again,,,since they didn't, we're never going to know if they would have actually accomplished it, are we? But, O'Sullivan DID. Obviously, only one player ever year gets the honor, had Ovechkin and Crosby both played in the AHL last year, ONE of them might have received the ROY. Then again, ONE of them wouldn't have, either. Just as ONE of them didn't receive the NHL's Calder Trophy.
Why are you bring in ROY awards? I never once talked about that. The discussion was about O'Sullivan being the 2nd rookie in 15 years to score 40 goals. There isn't just one person who is allowed to score 40 goals. If Ovechkin and Crosby had been in the AHL last year, both would've scored 40 goals, I'm positive, not just one, as your argument went.
MePutPukInNet said:
and I also think that assuming O'Sullivan wasn't 'good enough' to jump directly to the NHL is a lot of hooey.
I never consciously said or implied that, but I'll address it, anyways. There were questions about O'Sullivan that the Wild had that teams didn't have about any of the players that I mentioned in my previous post (such as Crosby and Ovechkin). You can call it "good enough" or "ready enough"--whatever you want--but O'Sullivan needed a year in the AHL and the other players didn't. If the Wild had allowed him to play in the NHL last season, he wouldn't have scored 40 goals in the AHL and won ROY. Would you have thought less of him if he had missed out on that and gone straight to the NHL like Crosby and Ovechkin? If your answer is no, like I suspect, then why are you making such a huge deal about winning those accolades?

I agree that O'Sullivan's accomplishments were very impressive, but it's rather silly to laud such accomplishments in relation to players who were good/ready enough to skip that league entirely. Someone who does that just comes across as a father boasting about his kid having the best grades in 5th grade to a group of fathers whose same-age kids all skipped 5th grade and went directly to 6th.

Last edited:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
then why are you making such a huge deal about winning those accolades?

Maybe we're having two different conversations here, dude. The whole point of my original post on this subject wasn't about the ROY, or any other award. I was talking about his SKILLS. I'm not sure how the conversation got so far away from that....and my head hurts so I'm not gonna bother going back to read it all over again now.

I take issue with anyone who thinks they can compare accomplishment to accomplishment between two individual players. Individual accomplishments are so much a matter of entire team effort and ability, that, in my opinion, it's akin to comparing apples to airplanes.

But, as I was trying to point out...[In my opinion]...it's O'Sullivan's SKILLS that are not given the respect they deserve.

Transported Upstater

I think O'Sullivan is a lower risk player, but still with loads of talent. I think his defensive play improved in Houston.

I think Radulov's upside is massive, but that if he's not scoring, he's just not THAT great of a player.

However, one of the few things I am known for on these boards (at least with a few people) is that I maintain that IMO Radulov is overrated.

We will see. Both of these guys shouldn't see a minute of AHL time unless it's for an injury rehab assignment. Both of these guys are READY for the NHL.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It doesn't sound like you're familiar with how bad those Mississauga teams were.....
but they're just kids......

I think O'Sullivan is a lower risk player, but still with loads of talent. I think his defensive play improved in Houston.

I think Radulov's upside is massive, but that if he's not scoring, he's just not THAT great of a player.

However, one of the few things I am known for on these boards (at least with a few people) is that I maintain that IMO Radulov is overrated.

We will see. Both of these guys shouldn't see a minute of AHL time unless it's for an injury rehab assignment. Both of these guys are READY for the NHL.

O'Sullivan has already played a full season in the AHL, so I'm guessing you mean won't see a minute of AHL time this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad