Radulov and Tukonen now ahead of Olesz --lastest Redline Report in USATODAY...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kyle Woodlief in the latest Redline Report(Apr 22/04) on the USATODAY website (www.usatoday.com) ---in the Sports section go to Pro Hockey section then click on this report (column talks of Russian Revolution and expiry of the IIHF /NHL transfer agreement and the Russian Federation opting outof any new one) --now has this ranking:

1. Ovechkin
2.Malkin
3.Barker
4.Radulov
5.Tukonen
6.Olesz

Schremp (who he's had it in for) and Chipchura do not make his top 10 list...

Anyway this is close to my ranking...I do not include Barker in with the forwards--the CHI decision at #3 is simply--do they want a D-man (consensus Barker) OR a forward---if a forward ,I too have Radulov as the 3rd best forward,Tukonen 4th best forward,but then I place Schremp at 5th best forward and Olesz as 6th best forward...I predicted Olesz would slip on some scouts' lists and clearly the strong showing by both Radulov and Tukonen in 2 U-18 tournaments in the latter part of the season have vaulted them past Olesz ......

There are reasons besides talent for CHI to like either Radulov or Tukonen...Alexander Radulov is the younger brother of CHI's Igor Radulov (but Alexander is more talented and more passionate about the game---maybe that will rub off on Igor who does have talent but needs a kick in the butt to work harder,or maybe Igor won't want to be overshadowed by his li'l brother so he'll try harder so as not to be embarrassed).....Tukonnen may be a great "fit" to pal on a line with fellow Finlander Tuomo Ruutu......

So that's how I see the decision at#3 now too--between Barker,Radulov or Tukonen...Radulov may be the least"safe" of the choices--but he's got the biggest upside impact potential--I think that's what should decide it ultimately ...

(BUT the Blackhawks remember are the organization that viewed Alexander Karpovtsev as "world class' ---according to coach BS)--so you never know what they will do to mess things up...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Good. Tukonen deserves to be up there.

EDIT: Although it would be better if he wasn't so high up, maybe 24th-30th to get drafted by a possibly better team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually goes to show why I and quite a few of the Pen's fans were so desperate to finish last and so anguished when the Pens had that run going, it had only a small bit to do with AO and mostly to do with Malkin. We wanted AO, but at least wanted Malkin who was a consensus second. The fact that three on has gotten so jumbled that Olesz has dropped to six and Schremp is completely out of the top ten shows that you can pretty much throw from 4 onward (and maybe Barker at 3 too) into a hat down to maybe 13 or 14 and have as good a chance of predicting success. Rudolov was almost a second rounder before the U18's so maybe it is 3 - 25, but in any event, I can not see how Washington or Pittsburgh would trade their picks given the volatility just below them unless really blown away by the offer, can you?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
PhoPhan said:
The top 7 is really starting to shape up.
I think it's more up in the air than ever. So many guys dropping rapidly, others rising rapidly.

This shows what a drop-off after 2, the only constant all year has been Ovechkin and then Malkin.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
hawksfan50 said:
There are reasons besides talent for CHI to like either Radulov or Tukonen...Alexander Radulov is the younger brother of CHI's Igor Radulov

Never realized that both Radulovs were brothers. That could skewer everything. Wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks tried to get a "Sedin" thing going on there. Barker is coveted by Columbus so I totally smell a swap there, with Chicago picking up one of Jackets' middle rounders.

This gives Phoenix so many options: Olesz, Tukonen, Schremp, Ladd, etc. So, Coyote fans? What'd'ya think?

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To make a long story short. Olesz and Tukonen are the favourites at this point. Go to the Coyote board for discussions on the various players. Personally I'm worried about Olesz' flatlined development and his concussion. He is also a year older than Tukonen.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I change my mind thrice hourly regarding the Coyotes pick, but it's almost always one of Olesz, Tukonen or Ladd, most often Tukonen.

Tukonen's skill set really reminds me of Hossa.

Steve Latin*

PhoPhan said:
I change my mind thrice hourly regarding the Coyotes pick, but it's almost always one of Olesz, Tukonen or Ladd, most often Tukonen.

Tukonen's skill set really reminds me of Hossa.

You mean Marcin, right?

S L

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Yeah I like Tukonen alot too, but my Panthers ppl dont agreed with me. They think Tukonen will be the next Jani Rita or an slow developer a la Jokinen. But I dont think so, they play an different style ya know.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Roberto Luongo said:
Yeah I like Tukonen alot too, but my Panthers ppl dont agreed with me. They think Tukonen will be the next Jani Rita or an slow developer a la Jokinen. But I dont think so, they play an different style ya know.

I don't thin will happen.
Tukonen is someone I see learning fast and developing fast, he played with men at like age 15.. Had Espoo Blues been more successful this season I'm sure theyd have given Tukonen more games and time on higher lines.

But because they're star studded team struggled all season, (Espoo Blues is like that, excellent team on paper, average team on ice..), Tukonen when he got games was on lower lines with a "job" to do and wasn't given as much freedom as a youngster like him who needs a chance to grow and adapt to the higher pace of the game..

I originally saw Tukonen as a 7-10 pick, now I see him as more likely a #5..

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I always hoped Detroit would get Tukonen, but that's not going to happen...

Well, there's still hope for the guy in my avatar to get drafted by Detroit next year. He's little over 60 in the rankings so if he improves a little he would go at the end of the second round. And we all know Detroit will be somewhere around there even next year.

CoolburnIsGone

Remember we are talking about Redline here, they very rarely get the rankings just right and often have 1 or 2 players that they are in love with that don't get picked in the top 10. Take a look at last yr's article at about the same time (4-25-03) and you'll see that the rankings then didn't match where these players were drafted. Heck in the final rankings Staal dropped to #7 so you can see the obvious bias involved.

With that said, I doubt Radulov goes in the top 9 picks as I see him as this yrs version of Kastsitsyn (substitute Andrei's injury for the Russia Federation issue and that'll be a good way to compare). Ladd will probably be in the top 8 picks along with Schremp, Tukonen & Olesz (but the concussion history makes him this yr's Michalek who drops maybe 2 spots). But I agree that nothing is really shaping up in this yrs draft except for those top 2 picks. Chicago is in real control of how things go in the draft and they haven't exactly let on who exactly they really want.

#edit# Just wanted to add that for FL you should expect with Dudley at the helm to make a move and not stand pat at #7. I expect him to move down for the 3rd yr in a row to select a d-man (either O'Neill, Valabik, or Green).

Last edited by a moderator:

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I was under the impression that Schremp would be a top 7 pick. Can anyone enlighten me why he seems to be or did drop out of the top 10? Did the other players have alot better year, or was its Schremp's supposed bad attitude? Thanks.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
loadie said:
I was under the impression that Schremp would be a top 7 pick. Can anyone enlighten me why he seems to be or did drop out of the top 10? Did the other players have alot better year, or was its Schremp's supposed bad attitude? Thanks.

A lot of the criticisms I have read here and there point at his attitude.

Dr_Chimera*

loadie said:

He's not lighting the world on fire in the playoffs. A checker is outplaying him.

Loki_46

Apr 24, 2004
i don't know what happen, has schremp really doing that bad? what was his offense # like so far.

i also heard that olesz is not doing that well either. is that true?

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Loki_46 said:
i also heard that olesz is not doing that well either. is that true?

Olesz hasn't played since mid march as his team was sent out of Czech extraliga playoffs. So if he is down this month in Redline report, I doubt it is because he doesn't play well but more a consequence of Tukonen and Radulov impressive display at the 18 world championships which make them go up in the report.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Vlad The Impaler said:
A lot of the criticisms I have read here and there point at his attitude.
Yeah..I've heard the same. Maybe he might be the steal of the draft if gets an attitude change? ;)

Loki_46

Apr 24, 2004
bottom line is he can score and we are not getting the full extent of his attitude problem story here.

leafaholix*

loadie said:
Yeah..I've heard the same. Maybe he might be the steal of the draft if gets an attitude change? ;)
Those are hard to come by.

At this point, I have him just behind Dave Bolland... even with his great puck skills, Bolland is the safer pick. And you can bet that a lot of teams will be going into the draft looking for a "safe prospect" with skills rather then looking to hit a homerun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad