GDT: R1:G5 | New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | April 30th | 7:30 PM | F/L 6-3

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That 5th goal was a Cantiague Park Zamboni door reenactment.

I feel like I waste a lot of time by myself, so I’m not really impressed here
He lists a player who’s spent more time in the press box then anyone else on the roster as a prime free agent…

Reactions: Osakahaus

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Agreed, it was so weak on his part - he's really been disappointing this year. That said, the D (Romanov) backed so far in on that rush, had no gap control. The entire sequence shows why the Isles are out
I’m not sure what his plan was. You don’t try to ole’ a bouncing puck halfway in your own zone

The Isles were carrying play in the 3rd until then, and then… whatever that was by Pageau and the subsequent unlucky bounce on the rim around just completely deflated them

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Surely Clutter and Matty gone.
Clutter was pretty solid all year, didn't get hurt, but vanished in playoffs.
Need to get Sorokin right again.
MacLean stays on fourth line. Stick Holmstrom with him?
jGP and Nelson are question marks. jGP has dropped off a lot and Nelson didn't have a great finish to season.
Not sure what to make of Pelech. Can he gets back to his best?
Reilly hopefully stays.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This season should be boiled down into understanding how bad our special teams and our offense has become. I feel like our depth scoring has gotten worse after all.

We need to get a proper 2nd line winger for the team. Cannot use Fasching or Holmstrom. I love Simon, but this ain't it. Fasching's magical run is over. I hate watching him and he absolutely ruined any momentum for this team in game 5

Ilya will rebound. I am very confident in that. i'm not confident in the team removing Lamoriello, MacLean, or Houda. All three are not good. The islanders MUST make changes for their special teams. It is a dire need. I cannot stress how important it is for the islanders to fix their PK because it was downright horrible.

We need a new 4th line. Ishakov/Holmstrom/FA would do well. Hell even Gauthier on the 4th line could would. We cannot see Martin or Clutterbuck again. I love the two for what they did, but their time with the islanders is over. Hot take: MacLean's play alone has made me see Pageau as expendable. We can move on from him. I just dont know who wants the final two years of his contract.

Roy did a very good job to get this team in. Too bad we ran into the Hurricanes. This team is now 12-3 against us since 2019 in the playoffs. Every time it feels like the isles aren't anywhere closer to beating them.

Lets be real, this team has a lot on its plate this offseason. I hope that they do not tank, but instead make smart moves. Realize that you need to help Barzal and Horvat out. You're still in a window.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The team as constructed is an inconsistent mess. That was apparent all season.

Lou gave this core another season with the tweaks to give it another go. They can’t effectively roll 4 lines anymore.

The top guys disappear for long stretches each season, including the playoffs. That’s happened back to back.

The ‘new’ core just doesn’t have it - they are passive players with little to no jam, they have spurts of very nice play, but are easily exposed and haven’t demonstrated they can take their games to the next level.

So, with that I’m glad they made the playoffs for that to be a pattern and not a good one.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If u think the refs love the Canes and buy into their diving and embellishment then prepare to be disappointed when those same calls go against them playing the league’s chosen ones, the Rags.
Yeah, I'm waiting for an embellishment call against the Canes in the 1st period of game 1. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Keep Holmstrom and MacLean, and maybe Reilly too. I think those are the only keepers. Its time to start trading the fat. I think Pageau, Nelson, Pelech, or even Lee should all be considered at this point. Isles cannot be beaten like they did from Carolina again.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The team as constructed is an inconsistent mess. That was apparent all season.

Lou gave this core another season with the tweaks to give it another go. They can’t effectively roll 4 lines anymore.

The top guys disappear for long stretches each season, including the playoffs. That’s happened back to back.

The ‘new’ core just doesn’t have it - they are passive players with little to no jam, they have spurts of very nice play, but are easily exposed and haven’t demonstrated they can take their games to the next level.

So, with that I’m glad they made the playoffs for that to be a pattern and not a good one.

Barzal turned it up the last two games, when it counted the most. If anything, Bo was more of a passenger across 5 games than Barzal. Nelson was pretty flat for most of the series. Palms had a strong series. Their best players didn't play their best throughout the series and their best players as a collective aren't as good as other cores.

Thought Lee had a fine showing, worked his tail off, just can't produce the way he used to. MacLean was noticeable in all games, he's a keeper. Pulock and Pelech both had moments where they looked like the pairing of a few years ago. Dobson looked hurt, and his usage indicated so much. Romanov and Reilly made an impact, mostly positive. I want to see a significant infusion of talent this offseason, not a rebuild or anything, just some restructuring. There are some good pieces here, just not good enough.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
we really do need to trade what we can while they have any value. maxing the cap to pray to squeak in the playoffs every year to get bounced quick is just an awful model.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Barzal turned it up the last two games, when it counted the most. If anything, Bo was more of a passenger across 5 games than Barzal. Nelson was pretty flat for most of the series. Palms had a strong series. Their best players didn't play their best throughout the series and their best players as a collective aren't as good as other cores.

Thought Lee had a fine showing, worked his tail off, just can't produce the way he used to. MacLean was noticeable in all games, he's a keeper. Pulock and Pelech both had moments where they looked like the pairing of a few years ago. Dobson looked hurt, and his usage indicated so much. Romanov and Reilly made an impact, mostly positive. I want to see a significant infusion of talent this offseason, not a rebuild or anything, just some restructuring. There are some good pieces, here, just not good enough.
I feel like the isles biggest issue is that they had no answers for Staal yet again. He locked down horvat and he locked down the isles. I didn't think Bo had a bad series, he just couldn't finish again. The bigger issue was Dobson looking very feeble, which is a word I hate using. Noah has another major offseason ahead. He looked less like Alex Pietrangelo, and more like a flop on defense. Pulock had more points than him these playoffs. Reality is that Pelech is shot. That man has taken so many beatings.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Palms had an amazing year, but as we are all too familiar with his streaky play coupled with only 1 year left on his deal

Should be a sell high guy this off-season for me

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I’m not sure what his plan was. You don’t try to ole’ a bouncing puck halfway in your own zone

The Isles were carrying play in the 3rd until then, and then… whatever that was by Pageau and the subsequent unlucky bounce on the rim around just completely deflated them

Pageau must go.

His buyout is very palatable, I wonder if we can pay someone for a trade + buyout.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I feel like the isles biggest issue is that they had no answers for Staal yet again. He locked down horvat and he locked down the isles. I didn't think Bo had a bad series, he just couldn't finish again. The bigger issue was Dobson looking very feeble, which is a word I hate using. Noah has another major offseason ahead. He looked less like Alex Pietrangelo, and more like a flop on defense. Pulock had more points than him these playoffs. Reality is that Pelech is shot. That man has taken so many beatings.
Dobson is probably still injured and tried to play through it. Just looked off from the start and seemed to be distant when it came to physical contact.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
we really do need to trade what we can while they have any value. maxing the cap to pray to squeak in the playoffs every year to get bounced quick is just an awful model.
Its more awful because this team CAN be so much better

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Guess I'm a Panthers fan for the rest of the playoffs.

I absolutley hate the Rangers, yet it will be tough to root for this Canes team, coach and their fans.

Good God I hope ownership has seen enough of Lou.
I admire the fight of this group but the skill just isn't there. Too many missed passes..flubbed shots..icings..offsides. And awful special teams play.

A few ramblings before going to bed.
Engval played pretty well the entire series and surprised me. It's how Nelson should be playing. Reilly should remind those in charge the importance of mobility on the blue line. Hope he's signed. He probably saved his career with his performance on LI. Love MacLean and his motor. Displays some skill too. Palms can be frustrating but can't question his effort, isn't afraid to play physically and is one of the few shooters on the current roster.

People thinking we'll get anything for Pelech are dreaming, so hoping he figures it out. Trotz got the most out of him and Nelson. Puloch stepped up his game, might actually have some value in a deal but can't deal both of them..not likely with the contracts. Deal Nelson and his 33 goals there may be a market for him for any GMs who were asleep and didn't watch this series. JPG played better until 3rd period tonight and hopefully made himself more marketable. Thanks Matty Marts but your absence wasn't noticable these past few games and it's time for the Broadcast booth. Clutter had decent season and was absent last few games too...but he was dressed.

NHL trades, injection of some young players. Not expecting anything from Dufour, but hoping Maggio might be able to contribute somehting. Also for all the hate I think Bolduc should be given an opportunity. Has some size, maybe a little offensive ability. Maybe a healthy Mayfield is better than the one who played hurt half the season. Would have preferred Playoff Scotty to what Pelech gave us

I am hoping Roy is back and has a big say in the next roster. His Jr teams were well structured, and everyone knew their role. Would like him to have an entire training camp to implement his system.

Goodnight all. I do enjoy the discourse on this page. Lots of good comments and more than a few laughs.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

I'm okay with trading either of Pelech and/or Pulock. Idk, wasn't too impressed with Bo, had spurts where he had jump, but I wanted more production. He is what he is, a high-end 2C. That will show. Dobson was definitely hurt; he would've been on PP1 if he was healthy. He was weak on the puck, and I suspect that's due to whatever injury he sustained a few weeks ago.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Barzal turned it up the last two games, when it counted the most. If anything, Bo was more of a passenger across 5 games than Barzal. Nelson was pretty flat for most of the series. Palms had a strong series Their best players didn't play their best throughout the series and their best players as a collective aren't as good as other cores.

Thought Lee had a fine showing, worked his tail off, just can't produce the way he used to. MacLean was noticeable in all games, he's a keeper. Pulock and Pelech both had moments where they looked like the pairing of a few years ago. Dobson looked hurt, and his usage indicated so much. Romanov and Reilly made an impact, mostly positive. I want to see a significant infusion of talent this offseason, not a rebuild or anything, just some restructuring. There are some good pieces, here, just not good enough.
I’m not gonna get into it. He needs to turn it up from game 1, minute 20:00 on the first period clock. Not game 4 when you are down 3-0. That’s like scoring points up 3-1 on Columbus.

His act of drawing players to him is also getting old and teams like Carolina can easily shut it down. Also, every team in the
League knows he’s going to pass, pass, pass. He’s talented, which allows him to punch above his weight, but he’s a very readable player. He gets Horvat sucked into his vortex bc the opponent knows that’s where he wants to thread the needle.

Look, if people want to try to reconfigure the roster to get him 3-4 players to spread it around, then go for it. I doubt it works. If he was showing big game moments, then I’d be supportive, but the point blank tries he had vs NYR to clinch a spot and in Game 1 he didn’t deliver on. He’s just not that guy.

It’s a 100x easier to move on and build around other players can can work together and spread it around.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
This season should be boiled down into understanding how bad our special teams and our offense has become. I feel like our depth scoring has gotten worse after all.

We need to get a proper 2nd line winger for the team. Cannot use Fasching or Holmstrom. I love Simon, but this ain't it. Fasching's magical run is over. I hate watching him and he absolutely ruined any momentum for this team in game 5

Ilya will rebound. I am very confident in that. i'm not confident in the team removing Lamoriello, MacLean, or Houda. All three are not good. The islanders MUST make changes for their special teams. It is a dire need. I cannot stress how important it is for the islanders to fix their PK because it was downright horrible.

We need a new 4th line. Ishakov/Holmstrom/FA would do well. Hell even Gauthier on the 4th line could would. We cannot see Martin or Clutterbuck again. I love the two for what they did, but their time with the islanders is over. Hot take: MacLean's play alone has made me see Pageau as expendable. We can move on from him. I just dont know who wants the final two years of his contract.

Roy did a very good job to get this team in. Too bad we ran into the Hurricanes. This team is now 12-3 against us since 2019 in the playoffs. Every time it feels like the isles aren't anywhere closer to beating them.

Lets be real, this team has a lot on its plate this offseason. I hope that they do not tank, but instead make smart moves. Realize that you need to help Barzal and Horvat out. You're still in a window.

We need specific attributes, namely speed on the left wing and puck carrying in the defense.

I can make a very strong third and 4th line out of this team by dropping Lee and Cizikas down. The issue is we need a legitimately fast LW who's dangerous on the break to make that work for us.

Dobson was very clearly hurt this series. He was gutting it out

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Dobson is probably still injured and tried to play through it. Just looked off from the start and seemed to be distant when it came to physical contact.
Dobson being relatively ineffective did not help. He was the team's best player a good chunk of the season. However, I'm not sure it was 100% injury-related. He was less dynamic down the stretch IMO. Maybe just wore down over the course of the year. He needs to work hard again this summer. The good news is that he and Romanov are both young for D and should still be on the upswing. Physical development will help them both.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Dobson being relatively ineffective did not help. He was the team's best player a good chunk of the season. However, I'm not sure it was 100% injury-related. He was less dynamic down the stretch IMO. Maybe just wore down over the course of the year. He needs to work hard again this summer. The good news is that he and Romanov are both young for D and should still be on the upswing. Physical development will help them both.
Its why I feel the isles should pray that George or any other young guy can come in ASAP. We badly need Mayfield back in form too, because he's a very useful defenseman WHEN HEALTHY,

Reactions: Olliemets

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Final thoughts

I think that if we're ever gonna tank, do it next season for Hagens. If not, overpay for stamkos or reinhart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad