Confirmed with Link: R̶y̶a̶n̶ M̶u̶r̶p̶h̶y̶ Lance Bouma Appreciation Thread: Waive Goodbye

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If Bouma were making 1.5 million a year I bet we would all love him. I'm not sure why the Flames felt they couldn't stomach one more year of his contract, unless they have something big planned for FA tomorrow.

Or maybe they just wanted him to have a chance to find a new job while keeping the number of contracts manageable?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Or maybe they just wanted him to have a chance to find a new job while keeping the number of contracts manageable?

That's another possibility, but it still seems dumb that they would get rid of him for nothing. I guess this way he doesn't have to go back to the AHL which would tarnish his UFA value quite a bit.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Good for Bouma for getting a semi-decent contract cause he played with the heart of 10 men for the Flames, it's a shame people are so down on him and telling him to "get lost/gtfo/good riddance". He bled the Flaming C, his body is broken and his game went downhill because of it.

I wish Bouma all the best, hope he can find a team to take a chance on him.

Bouma is a likeable dude, but the bolded is incorrect. He was never good (literally, even in juniors he was pretty mediocre), and his game didn't go downhill. He had a single fluke season that made people think he was more than a league minimum type player, and they bought into it hard because he is such a high effort player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So, just so we're all on the same page.
Bouma has negative value in this league right at that dollar figure? In his interview today Treliving mentions it's really difficult to move money in this league; I really think that might be the case.

I know we've had some debates recently on that topic.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Bouma has negative value in this league right at that dollar figure? In his interview today Treliving mentions it's really difficult to move money in this league; I really think that might be the case.

Negative value might be a bit strong. He's no worse than your average cap dump.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

We would've had to pay someone to take him for sure and we don't have the picks to spare to do that. I think it speaks volumes for the management and ownerships state of mind going into this season, after previously being hesitant to buying out players.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Aren't cap dumps in essence negative value?

Really depends on the rest of the deal. If Bouma as a cap dump were just to be tacked onto a trade for a far better player, I see it as more of a no net value sort of thing - the other team would get an NHLer essentially for free, but lose the salary they'd otherwise have to sign another NHLer of basically his same calibre - they give up nothing for something that's about as good as it is bad.

If the swap were just bottom six guys and Bouma is a key part of the deal, then yeah, he likely has negative value and we have to add a fifth or something to make up for the contract.

Overall his contract makes him difficult to trade, but I hadn't ever figured management would try to trade Bouma because of the small amount of takers. You raise a good point though

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yes, Bouma had negative trade value. If you have to incentivize another team to take on a player, that player has negative value.

If you have to buy out a player, the player has negative value.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

At that cap hit, after last season, yes.

Had he been making $1.5 or less and they bought him out, I'd be burning villages right now.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
DDlSsxZVYAAsvBF.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad