Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
This team can definitely afford an off-the-board hire, meaning, someone who's not in the current wheel of names of coaches who have already been in the NHL.

McCarthy can go too, along with Joe Will. Time is due.

Reactions: themelkman

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
yes, I noticed that too, and perhaps there is a red flag there. To be honest, a jack adams winner (3x finalist in just 6 real seasons excluding fired years and CBJ) with such an amazing winning record (313-186-64 when excluding the early CBJ years) should never be available so easily. You might be right that someone is up. Still, (ecl CBJ), in his full coaching seasons, he is batting .500 as a Jack adams finalist! Thats crazy!

OR...

Those teams are stupid! FLA fired gallant and proceeded to miss the playoffs in three straight seasons. VGK was an expansion team that rocked it off the start. They actually miss the PO's for their only time the year after Gallant was fired (though won the cup the year after that). NYR was not very good prior to his arrival but is now crushing it.

Im not saying Gallant is the reason for all those facts, but his record transforming teams, particularly presently unsuccessful or unproven teams is pretty amazing.
1. FLA: missed the PO's in the previous two seasons including a 29-45-8 record for 66 pts in the year before gallant. He comes, they improve from 66 to 91 points, narrowly missing POs. Then improve to 103 pts and make the POs. he then gets fired 22 games in at 11-10-1, and they proceed to miss the PO's the next three years.
2. VGK was expansion: they were supposed to stink. he came, they crushed it and made Wild bill, shea theodore and others into stars.
3. NYR had missed the PO's 3 of the 4 seasons before gallant's arrival (partly with David Quinn of course) and were 27-23-6 (88 pt full season pace). He came, they then crushed it improving to 110 pts.

In ohers words, in his first year, FLA improved 25 points and NYR improved 22 pts (equivalent) and vegas hit the ground running from expansion. His record is amazing. I dont know why he seems to only last 2-3 years each time, but he takes soso/bad and makes them very good very fast. Ill take my chances!

I don't question that Gallant's teams improve their records a lot. I am only saying it is suspicious that a coach as successful as Gallant has been quickly dumped by three organizations. If it was only one, that could be a personal conflict between coach and GM. But all three?

Allow me to speculate: Gallant is, how should one say, a "difficult person." Perhaps you remember his conduct on the bench and in interviews after games during the playoff series with the Sharks five years ago. Despite his on-ice success, organizations take the first chance they can to fire him. I think the Sharks should be looking for someone who could be a long-term coach, both during the rebuilding and then once the team is competitive for the playoffs. Not easy to find such coaches, but getting one is a huge advantage for an organization in the long run. There is no long run with Gallant.

Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
I don't question that Gallant's teams improve their records a lot. I am only saying it is suspicious that a coach as successful as Gallant has been quickly dumped by three organizations. If it was only one, that could be a personal conflict between coach and GM. But all three?

Allow me to speculate: Gallant is, how should one say, a "difficult person." Perhaps you remember his conduct on the bench and in interviews after games during the playoff series with the Sharks five years ago. Despite his on-ice success, organizations take the first chance they can to fire him. I think the Sharks should be looking for someone who could be a long-term coach, both during the rebuilding and then once the team is competitive for the playoffs. Not easy to find such coaches, but getting one is a huge advantage for an organization in the long run. There is no long run with Gallant.

Gerard Gallant to me is an old school kind of NHL coach. He will call out players for laziness following a loss. But as you know, GMs and players don't like the old style yelling coaches because it wears thin after a couple of years and they prefer the more modern i.e. Jon Cooper kind of coaches who expects everyone in the room to do their job. These newer coaches who have the most disciplined and accountable teams rarely raise their voice or use dire consequences to punish players. This is the opposite of a John Tortorella or a Darryl Sutter style of coaching. Both styles are successful, but the aforementioned style would be harder to attract players to sign up to play for the organization.

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Total aside, but I think I'd love playing for Torts. I had my fare share of complete headcase psychologically abusive coaches and it brings out the toxic best in me. Obviously true for the right kind of player or he wouldn't have so much success. Not sure it's true for the Sharks in the next 3 years - maybe after that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the sharks get 1st overall they should go all in on Brind’amour if Carolina doesn’t resign him, he’s on a expiring deal
If Carolina doesn't re-sign Brind'Amour, I suspect he'd go to Seattle. However, even if he doesn't, I'm sure there are a good amount of teams that would fire their coach to bring in Rod. Like, how do we compete with a team like Toronto who can spend anything they want and have a playoff team?

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
If Carolina doesn't re-sign Brind'Amour, I suspect he'd go to Seattle. However, even if he doesn't, I'm sure there are a good amount of teams that would fire their coach to bring in Rod. Like, how do we compete with a team like Toronto who can spend anything they want and have a playoff team?
Seattle because of the Francis connection is a nice story, but honestly looking at that roster it’s not the coach that’s the problem it’s probably more talent deficient organizationally than SJ. Toronto is always in the rumor mill but big market and notoriously terrible fan base and media, maybe he steers clear of that scene too.

I’m just excited to see what he could do with a eklund, musty and smith.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Convince Hasso to write the check.

"Record" deal for coach is $7m/yr (Babcock).
That’ll be a believe it when I see it sort of situation. The Sharks haven’t seemed like a team that pays like that or chases the marquee coaches when previous vacancies were being filled.
Seattle because of the Francis connection is a nice story, but honestly looking at that roster it’s not the coach that’s the problem it’s probably more talent deficient organizationally than SJ. Toronto is always in the rumor mill but big market and notoriously terrible fan base and media, maybe he steers clear of that scene too.

I’m just excited to see what he could do with a eklund, musty and smith.
This is Rod Brind’Amour. The big stage is not a reason for him to shy away from a job. He’s a competitor. That’s why he’ll have opportunities if he’s ever available and we would need to pay him a shit ton to ask him to coach through a rebuild.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No interim HC of Oilers
Nelson, 54, hasn’t been an NHL head coach since an interim stint with the Oilers in 2014-15, but was the bench boss behind Calder Cups for the Grand Rapids Griffins in 2017 and Hershey Bears in 2023. He’s also got plenty of big league chops, besides with the Oilers. He was an assistant coach with the Atlanta Thrashers from 2008 to 2010, and with the Dallas Stars from 2018 to 2022.

Got.the name wrong

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The way I've come to think about it, the coaching staff isn't a super relevant factor, given assumptions about basic competence. It's a tertiary concern...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad