Quick q: is EJ comparable to Phaneuf?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Vincent_TheGreat said:
LOL!

Not sure Johnson is as refined at the same point. I'd take Phaneuf, the guy is a monster.
Wrong, he's a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nas_Bert_Morr*

They are both big defensman with booming shots and booming hits.

So no. :sarcasm:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Some great insight here. :sarcasm: I haven't seen EJ enough to compare the two but I'm interested to see what people have to say about these two.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Nas_Bert_Morr said:
They are both big defensman with booming shots and booming hits.

So no. :sarcasm:

Dion Phaneuf isn't big for a defenseman. 6'2" 200 lbs. How big is Erik Johnson?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
EJ is probably a bit better skater and is obviously bigger. He probably carriers the puck up ice a bit more than Phaneuf as well.

Phaneuf's got a bigger shot (than most everybody really), goes for a bit more in the open ice (so far) and is likely a meaner breed.

Like comparing a young Scott Stevens and a young Larry Robinson (potential only). Some similarities, but different types of players.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I haven't seen EJ play more than once or twice but he'll have to put up 20g & 50p at 20 yrs old if he wants to be comparable.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Seems like Johnson is more of an offensive defenseman, whereas Phaneuf is just offensive. ;) Plus he's a ginger, and therefore has no soul.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
EJ is probably a bit better skater and is obviously bigger. He probably carriers the puck up ice a bit more than Phaneuf as well.

Phaneuf's got a bigger shot (than most everybody really), goes for a bit more in the open ice (so far) and is likely a meaner breed.

Like comparing a young Scott Stevens and a young Larry Robinson (potential only). Some similarities, but different types of players.

It's hard to argue with the success Phaneuf has had at such an early age, but IMO Johnson is farther along at the same age of development (18). I don't think Johnson possesses the mean-streak Phaneuf has, but all other parts of his game are top-notch, and as you mention is bigger (still growing) and is a better skater.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Scouts keep saying that EJ will have the same impact that DP did in his rookie year...but that's hard to believe unless EJ plays a year of college and a year of AHL hockey first. I can't see him coming to the Blues as an 18 year old and putting up the numbers Dion did as a rookie. BUT...I think it is very reasonable to see EJ putting up 20G, 40A on an annual basis...even in his rookie year....provided next this year is not his rookie year....

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Jackmans Domain said:
Scouts keep saying that EJ will have the same impact that DP did in his rookie year...but that's hard to believe unless EJ plays a year of college and a year of AHL hockey first. I can't see him coming to the Blues as an 18 year old and putting up the numbers Dion did as a rookie. BUT...I think it is very reasonable to see EJ putting up 20G, 40A on an annual basis...even in his rookie year....provided next this year is not his rookie year....

I agree... I really can't see EJ having the same impact that Phaneuf had in his rookie year. Phaneuf had a sensational year that I don't think will be matched by a rookie defensemen for a long, long time. I'd be surprised and shocked if EJ put up those numbers until his prime. But at the same time, I think his pure abilities as a hockey player are every bit as good as Phaneuf's. And as Rabid Ranger said, EJ is further along at 18 than Phaneuf was.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Andrew_11 said:
I agree... I really can't see EJ having the same impact that Phaneuf had in his rookie year. Phaneuf had a sensational year that I don't think will be matched by a rookie defensemen for a long, long time. I'd be surprised and shocked if EJ put up those numbers until his prime. But at the same time, I think his pure abilities as a hockey player are every bit as good as Phaneuf's. And as Rabid Ranger said, EJ is further along at 18 than Phaneuf was.
Phaneuf took a big leap forward in development immediately after he was drafted, EJ is certainly farther along in his development at the same point as Phaneuf was, it will depend alot on how he progresses now that he has been drafted.

It would not shock me if he were the better defenseman in the long run, and that is high praise considering how Phaneuf has hit the ground running in the NHL.

Transported Upstater

I don't think EJ is comparable to Phaneuf. They are much different players, and are separated by a big age/development gap.

Phaneuf's development after June 2003 was at a level you rarely see. He went from the 9th pick in his draft to a can't-miss elite prospect in an incredibly short time. It then took him even less time to establish himself at the NHL level. He excelled the moment he got there.

It's INCREDIBLY rare to see a 20-21 year old defenseman coming straight out of the CHL and EXCELLING as a rookie in the NHL. Dion was outstanding the moment he took to the ice in the NHL, and that is so impossibly rare for a defenseman with no AHL time.

I really think EJ has incredible potential, but it is WAY TOO early to draw comparisons with a guy who will likely challenge for the Norris almost every healthy year of his career.

EJ at 18 is better than Phaneuf at 18, but EJ will have to exponentially improve at an amazing rate to match a 20-21 year old Double Dion.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Well put TransportedUpstater,

I think many posters are forgetting that Phaneuf received very little accolades during his draft year and almost everyone placed him behind Coburn and Suter and at the time they were right to do so.

We have to remember that we are dealing with young players on the cusp of adult-hood, who will develop differently. Phaneuf's development has been extraordinary, in every sense of the word, and he will no doubt be the template that all other NHL Dmen will be measured against.

E.J is a tremendous prospect who is better developed than Phanuef was at the same age but no one can say how he will further develop.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Bank Shot said:
Dion Phaneuf isn't big for a defenseman. 6'2" 200 lbs. How big is Erik Johnson?

Phaneuf is around the 210 mark. Inch for inch, that makes Phaneuf a bit bigger than Johnson as EJ has about 3 inches on him. For phaneuf NHL has him listed as 213 pounds. I don't believe the Calgary Flames website as there is no way Iginla is only 207 pounds. Way too much muscle on him. As for rushing the puck, about once or so a game Phaneuf skates end to end with the puck. His rushing game has grown quite a bit since the start of the season to the end. The guy is the total package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad