Quick Drury Curve Question

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
As much as I've loved the Drury and have been doing great with it, there's a nagging thought in the back of my head that I want to try a Sakic.

This is the pattern I used before the drury. and the one I will actually be going back to. the shape of the bottom of the blade on the drury forces me to take a slap shot further away from my body bc I catch too much toe. the sakic let's me bring it in closer and hit it just right. my slappers seem to just rise to top corner with so much ease. I'm pretty sure I'll be making the switch back as a I have a ops with the sakic curve and then order the Bauer clone total one blade for my one95 shaft.

I will also be experimenting with taking the 1.5" plug out of my ops to see the difference of a slightly shorter stick. it's a 75 base flex with no plug so that shouldn't be an issue.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I noticed that too. I spent a couple hours shooting on Monday and was all over the place with catching the toe, but on Wednesday I spent an hour and had no problems. For whatever reason I was trying to shoot the puck too close to my body and moving it a bit further away solved the problem. I'm guessing the additional curve of the Sakic allows you to cup the puck more, giving it a bit higher lie.

I found some older TPS Adrenaline OPS with Nash curves that seem interesting. If I can talk them down on the price, and if the intermediate flex is stiff enough (I need something between an intermediate and senior whip flex), I might pick one up. The Nash seemed to be a tamer Sakic, a bit more of a mid/heel than true mid, so it might play in between.

I do really like how the Drury just "starts" both the curve and loft in one place, so you can cup the puck right there. Seems that a more gradual curve might actually be less predictable and harder to control the height as the puck would slide down the blade.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For any mid-curve users reading this thread and getting excited, make sure to try before you buy! By that I mean try out a friend/teammates heel curve for as long as possible, or get a cheap woody with a heel curve before investing in a more expensive stick. I have a stick with a heel curve and lots of loft, tried to use it for quite a while, never liked it at all. Some people swear by them, but if you've never used a heel curve before it's VERY different, you may like it but you may not.
Thought I'd bump this thread to say that I might just be converted to the Drury curve. I've always been a mid curve guy (love the Bauer P88 and Reebok Datsyuk curves especially), recently tried a toe curve (Base BC01) and wasn't a big fan, had previously used a heel wedge (Sherwood's Lidstrom clone) and didn't like it. Because I'd been using mostly closed/neutral mid curves, my natural inclination was to shoot from mid blade, and to open up the blade a touch to shoot high (because the curves I'd been using like the P88 and Iginla are fairly closed), and this technique sucks for heel wedges. But on a whim I decided to try a heel wedge again, so I picked up a tapered Drury wood blade for my tapered shaft, and wow, I'm loving it so far! Really focusing on shooting from the heel without opening the blade up at all, and even after just a couple skates my snap shot is harder and more accurate than ever. My wrist shot seems a bit hit and miss, but I very rarely take traditional wristers anyways, almost all snap shots.

Another thing that I think really made a difference was the stick flex. The other time I used a heel wedge (Sherwood Lidstrom clone) I was using a pretty stiff stick, so had to shoot my snappers a bit more with the wrists and less using the flex of the stick, and was having trouble making that work with the heel curve. This time I'm using the blade in a really whippy 75 flex shaft, if anything a bit too whippy, but it lets me depend way more on the flex in the shaft for power, and it just seems to be working great with this curve.

Stick handling is still a work in progress, I'm used to pulling a lot of sort of partial toe-drag-ish moves and these are quite different with a short bladed mid curve like an Iggy/P88 than with the Drury, which is a super long blade that's pretty straight at the end, but I feel like I'm getting used to the curve fairly quickly from a stickhandling point of view. And the snap shots are just so damn hard and accurate that I think I'm hooked, the Drury curve may just have claimed another victim :yo:

Hooah4

Apr 4, 2007
Maungie, PA
I've spent time bouncing around curves (went from P88 to PM9) but the Drury and Vanek(less open little lower lie and a bit more mid heel than all heel) are money for me. The motion is just so natural and easier. I really feel like there's less effort in my wrist shot as well.
Nice to see companies are producing more clones. I picked up an inno Maniac from the monkey and decided to go for the -25$ mystery curve and ended up with a Drury anyway! Don't know which stick it's an overrun of but it's got nipple grip and is around a 85-90 flex even though its listed as 95.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've migrated to Sakic full time. Plays similar to Drury but the curve starts closer to the middle of the blade, so I can keep the puck a little lower and can protect the puck a little easier when stickhandling. Shooting is very similar, just shooting from the mid or mid-heel instead of the heel.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
has anyone used both the getzlaf and drury clones? I've used the kovalev but the getzlaf clones look slighty different other than just the square toe. they look like they have a deeper pocket.

anyone?

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I'm back with the Staal version and it feels so good. Much different than the P92 but simpler.

Many months later, still with the Staal. I switched to defense so the heel helps there but I have found other than toe drags, I can do everything better with this curve. In other words, once I learn a toe drag with this curve, I will like it more but playing D, I find I only miss it when shooting down the right side (right shot) and toeing the puck back as I attempt a spin move.

In other words, not missing a lot.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
SE16 with the Drury pattern is unreal for me. Never been able to find another one though. :(

I know heel curves are more for people who shoot off the heel of the stick but I always shoot off of the toe (usually snap shots) and I still find it gives me the best accuracy and power in my shot. For some reason I am always tempted to buy more of a mid curve pattern just because the Drury can be a bit "wild" sometimes but when I go back to the Drury I like it.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Has the Drury been replaced with another name nowadays or is it still the Drury? I'm an Iginla man (right now I'm using a Widow with the Kovalchuk pattern which is pretty much an Iginla) but I'm thinking about trying out a more open-faced curve. Also, what is the equivalent to the drury in say, Bauer?

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
SE16 with the Drury pattern is unreal for me. Never been able to find another one though. :(

I know heel curves are more for people who shoot off the heel of the stick but I always shoot off of the toe (usually snap shots) and I still find it gives me the best accuracy and power in my shot. For some reason I am always tempted to buy more of a mid curve pattern just because the Drury can be a bit "wild" sometimes but when I go back to the Drury I like it.

I thought the same regarding snappers. After some time with the Drury clone, a Sakic doesn't work. The toe drag in to a snapper is solid though. First few times it sailed and then I moved to top right corner (when hit right) and now it's look up and find it. Though top left I shank. Some more work and it'll be there.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Has the Drury been replaced with another name nowadays or is it still the Drury? I'm an Iginla man (right now I'm using a Widow with the Kovalchuk pattern which is pretty much an Iginla) but I'm thinking about trying out a more open-faced curve. Also, what is the equivalent to the drury in say, Bauer?

A certain New Jersey Devils captain set to be a UFA this summer.

P91A in Bauer, a certain underrated Hurricanes captain/NYR stud defenceman/Penguins power forward/Hurricanes prospect...honestly, who knows which one Bauer chose?

Reebok, a certain overrated Leafs captain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->