Questions for Bobby Hull

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nice work, mullin. Bobby might not be as quoteable as a couple other family members (Brett and Dennis), but he's still an entertaining, charasmatic individual. I'm sure murray can give you about a dozen quality questions.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Sure is, I know I could fill up as much time and he'll give me with my own questions but just wondered if anyone here had something that they really wanted to know.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I am sure you have thought of most of these but I would be interested in his thoughts & opinions on the following topics.

-why Chicago only won one cup in the 60's
-Pilous & reay as coaches.
-Hall & esposito as playoff goalies
-Eagleson
-Bill Wirtz
-Phil Esposito trade
-Nilsson-hedberg line. How would they have done in the NHL at their peak.
-Team canada 72, What would his impact have been.
-HOF selections
-Memories of Hawk players from the late 50's-Litzenberger, sloan, Lindsay etc.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The story of how he and Mikita developed the curved stick is always interesting (I believe Andy Bathgate also claims title).

His decision to leave the NHL and join the WHA, a brand new league, is another good one.

This is an article I have linked here before (from 1965).

One interesting quote:

"People ask me do I get tired of being interviewed or interrupted on my days off," says Bobby, "and the answer is no. If people think enough of me to want to shake my hand or talk to me or interview me then time must be made for it."

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I'd be interested in hearing his opinion on why Chicago only won one cup as well. I'd like to hear his opinion on Pierre Pilote also and who he considered the toughest goalie to play against.

Of course you know we all expect a full transcript of the interview as well Mullen....;)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
-Nilsson-hedberg line. How would they have done in the NHL at their peak.
That's an excellent question. As a more general question, you could ask him about the difference in skill level and depth between the two leagues.

Also, I've always been curious to know why he decided to come back to the NHL after the WHA/NHL merger. He played a handful of games in 79/80 for the Jets and Whalers, after "retiring" for personal reasons in late 1978.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
That's an excellent question. As a more general question, you could ask him about the difference in skill level and depth between the two leagues.

Also, I've always been curious to know why he decided to come back to the NHL after the WHA/NHL merger. He played a handful of games in 79/80 for the Jets and Whalers, after "retiring" for personal reasons in late 1978.

IIRC, he was in a messy divorce and needed some cash. hence the comeback.

too late now I guess, but ask him about the "new" WHA.

looking forward to a transcript/link/article ... whatever comes out of this.
:)

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
How accurately was his 120 mph slapshot measured?

I think they used some type of impact device to measure the mph (which was no doubt not as accurate as today's "gun") and also we would have to know how far out was the shot taken from as compared with the distance used in todays' all-star skills competition? Bottom line is no human being is going to get 120 mph the way it's done today when the hardest shot since the competition began is, I think, 105 mph?

This is a great question which I have wondered about myself - not if Bobby's shot would measure 120 mph (though I think it was supposedly 118?) which as I said I don't believe is possible, but just how hard his shot would have been? I would guess 100 to 105 mph. You have to remember a 100 mph shot in the 1960's would have been pretty unreal, which is how Hull's slapper was regarded. There were plenty of players back then which weren't even using the slapshot yet.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I would like to hear his opinion of hockey in "recent" years (after he retired):
- How would he and the best players of his era fare today?
- How would best players today fare back then?
- What does he think of overall talent level in league since Europeans have become a major part of game (skill level, toughness, leadership, etc.)
- Any thoughts on new rules and their enforcement?
- What are biggest differences in game and players in recent years vs. back then?

Enjoy your interview, what a privilege! :handclap:

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Very very sad to tell you guys - I got stuck covering a court case and wasn't able to make it to the Hull event. Apparently actual news takes priority over me talking hockey with the Golden Jet :) Sucks though, I appreciate all your thoughts.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I think they used some type of impact device to measure the mph (which was no doubt not as accurate as today's "gun") and also we would have to know how far out was the shot taken from as compared with the distance used in todays' all-star skills competition? Bottom line is no human being is going to get 120 mph the way it's done today when the hardest shot since the competition began is, I think, 105 mph?

This is a great question which I have wondered about myself - not if Bobby's shot would measure 120 mph (though I think it was supposedly 118?) which as I said I don't believe is possible, but just how hard his shot would have been? I would guess 100 to 105 mph. You have to remember a 100 mph shot in the 1960's would have been pretty unreal, which is how Hull's slapper was regarded. There were plenty of players back then which weren't even using the slapshot yet.

They are often timed practically standing still now.

Bobby Hull in full flight coming down the wing, letting it go...remembering him and that shot, 118-120 was possibly quite accurate.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Very very sad to tell you guys - I got stuck covering a court case and wasn't able to make it to the Hull event. Apparently actual news takes priority over me talking hockey with the Golden Jet :) Sucks though, I appreciate all your thoughts.
You handled it better than I would have, mullin. If I lost an interview with the Golden Jet because of a court case, I would have wound up back in court the following day, with a defence attorney by my side.

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
Nilsson and Hedberg were at their peak when they joined the NHL. Ulfie tore his knee up and that was pretty much the end of that. They were just amazing to watch in the WHA. Hockey has evolved so much in the 30 plus years since the WHA turned me on to the sport. Ulf and Anders would be big stars in the new NHL.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
They are often timed practically standing still now.

Bobby Hull in full flight coming down the wing, letting it go...remembering him and that shot, 118-120 was possibly quite accurate.

Good point Chili :handclap: that was no doubt the way that shot was measured. That makes sense of it. I just remembered one place where I read about the 118 mph figure also stated that his wristshot was tested and it was 105 mph! So again, this shot was no doubt taken from a full skate because it is ludicrous to imagine anyone equalling the fastest slapshots of today's NHL with a wristshot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad