Questions about the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

egregoir

Feb 26, 2005
Montréal
I'm still trying to understand the NHL salary cap.
Let's take the Flames as an example: Jarome Iginla is the most paid player on their roster, earning 7 millions/year.
Knowing that a player cannot earn more than 20% of the team's payroll, will this means that the Flames should have a minimum payroll of 35 millions?

If that is the case, I'm wondering how they will manage to reach the 35 millions level: The Flames have already 19 players signed for a total of about 31 millions, with no big names left to signed.

By the way, how many players are registered as part of the cap?

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
egregoir said:
I'm still trying to understand the NHL salary cap.
Let's take the Flames as an example: Jarome Iginla is the most paid player on their roster, earning 7 millions/year.
Knowing that a player cannot earn more than 20% of the team's payroll, will this means that the Flames should have a minimum payroll of 35 millions?

the maximum salary for an individual player is 20% of the cap (next year: $39 million cap for teams, so .2 * 39 = $7.8 max. salary for a player). it doesn't matter, in this instance, what the team's payroll is.

so, conceivably, the flames could pay iginla $7 million a year and only have a payroll or $25 or $30 million. iginla would earn more than 20% of his team's overall payroll, but the rule is no player is allowed to earn more than 20% of the cap.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Indeed.

The "team cap" refers to the maximum any team can spend: $39 million this year. This is the same for all teams.

What any team chooses to actually spend does not change the team cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad