Question

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
According to IIHF rules, a player that represented a specific country in an IIHF-organised tournament can't represent a different country in a future competition organised by IIHF.

Sorry if I'm not explaining very well; I mean, as an example, Alexander Perezhogin is from Kazakhstan. However, he already represented Russia at the WJC U-20, so he can't represent Kazakhstan in a future tournament.

My question is simple. Imagine the province of Quebec separates from Canada. Would players like Vincent Lecavalier, Roberto Luongo etc. have the right to play for Team Quebec even though they already represented Canada in the past? Is there any specific rules in IIHF books regarding the possibillity of separatism? Would an exception be made?

p.s. : Please note I don't wanna start a debate about Quebec's independance, I don't think HFBoards is the right place to do so, but BTW I'm a separatist. ;)

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I believe there's already been a historical precedent- players representing Czechoslovakia were allowed to play for Slovakia after the break up of Czechoslovakia. Peter Št'astný is a prime example.
This is a matter of common sense imo, with whom would be Quebec supposed
to play then?

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
This is a matter of common sense imo, with whom would be Quebec supposed to play then?

I agree with you 100%, but I was debatting this with a friend recently and he was sure IIHF rules were pefectly clear about it; if a player represented Canada in the past, this player couldn't represent Quebec.

Thanks for your answer!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->